• 147 results
#51 Posted by Omega-Mekix (586 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:
" @vegeta: Omega-Mekix asked me what a super saiyan 4 was so I told him all I know. I was letting him know how Goku turned into the SS4 and only pure blooded saiyans can do it. You could probably fill both of us in better, because I only saw like 2 episodes with a SS4, the one where he changed and when he beat Bebi (spelling?) "

Actually I already knew the basics of SS4 were. I meant by "what was SS4 all about" as in why did they create because it was so pitiful; it morphed the whole body, gave too much power and was just overrated. Sorry if I confused you in any way.
#52 Posted by jloneblackheart (5487 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega-Mekix: my guess is that they did it because they are following the standard dragonball z story telling formula- villain comes, goku not powerful enough, goku ascends his own strength, goku beats villain
#53 Posted by Obsurity (262 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the show growing up as a kid. Is it overrated, yeah. It's a manga/comic how many aren't?

#54 Posted by Obsurity (262 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the show growing up as a kid. Is it overrated, yeah. It's a manga/comic how many aren't?

#55 Posted by Th3 FlAsH 123 (607 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to love DBZ and everything about it. I guess when I was younger I thought that things like the battles and characters were more complex than they actually are.

#56 Posted by Aceofcard (55 posts) - - Show Bio

dbz is overrated

#57 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1131 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like DBZ

#58 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

excruciatingly overated 

M

#59 Posted by Sexy Merc (41971 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely not

#60 Posted by puiwaihin (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Is DBZ overrated?  Maybe when it comes to battles.  On the other hand, there's a whole DBZ-hate thing going on where the characters are greatly underrated.  Some people seemingly never watched the whole thing, while others forget some of the extreme moments and boil it all down to a bunch of talk and exploding rocks.

In terms of its appeal and value, however, I'd say you need to appreciate it for what it is.  It's a roller-coaster ride and the thrill comes from the sudden burst of speed and the teasing jerks and turns before the big drop or loop.  It's a perfect twelve year-old's fantasy of excess power and "awesomeness" with attitude.  It's a blend of the ridiculous with the "uber", what every kid wants.  And don't forget, there's that admirable "never die, never surrender, always believe" theme that Goku has going.  (That's the reason why they had to keep having stronger villains so that Goku could be heroic.) 

On the other hand, DBZ suffered terribly from Scooby-doo itis.  You know, where the same scene of the gang running from the monster is repeated 3 times in a sequence while old 70's music was played.  And yes, the plot was simplistic.  Anyone claiming DBZ is a masterpiece of storytelling or a complex plot is overrating it.  However, I don't think that's the case now. 

I'd say DBZ is a billion times better than the old Superfriends, a little better than "Batman: The Brave and the Bold", about even with "Teen Titans", and well below "Batman: The Animated Series".  I haven't caught much of the newer JLA stuff, so can't comment too much on that, but from what I saw that was more like Batman: The Animated Series in terms of quality.

#61 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and no. The plot moves too slow, and romantic character development occurs mainly off-screen, but seriously, when you have Super Saiyan Future Trunks show and cut Frieza in half, who gives a damn if the plot is slow? That was freaking awesome!

#62 Posted by Sexy Merc (41971 posts) - - Show Bio

If it wasn't for the DB fanboys, this thread wouldn't exist.

#63 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

2 mins 'Stupid comedic facial expression' for an inane plot line, 18 mins of 'power ups', and MAYBE a 15 second money shot single punch...

lather... rinse... repeat... ad inifinieum...     

How anyone with an IQ about single figures can actually watch it is beyond me 

M

#64 Posted by tensor (5123 posts) - - Show Bio

dbz is an old anime, it was good for its time.I don't think the series is overrated at all.This anime is the bridge , that made a lot of ppl cross over into anime, an made anime bigger than ever World wide.The bad part about dbz is that, it made too many trolls ,who does more harm than good for the series.

#65 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor: Lupin III is still awesome and it's even older.

Only good thing about it is the Abridged version

#66 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

DBZ is one of the greatest action cartoons ever. There arent many american shows, especially that are animated, that come even close.

I love DBZ, unfortunately I will say the fans that come on this board are generally idiots, severely overestimating their favourite characters.

#67 Posted by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#68 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor: Lupin III is still awesome and it's even older.

Only good thing about it is the Abridged version

Why did you reply to a 2 year old post like you'll get an answer?

Anyway DBZ was boss despite it's issues. The filler was bad but that wasn't the actual story itself causing problems but the lag between manga and anime.

#69 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio
#70 Edited by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio
#71 Posted by TheReptile (190 posts) - - Show Bio

DBZ is underrated in my opinion, everyone seems to bash it and all the characters in it. They also get underrated in battles alot.

DB and DBZ had such a vast world were there were martial arts, wishes that were granted and the sickest fights I have ever seen in fiction.

#72 Posted by russellmania77 (15844 posts) - - Show Bio

no, theres just a lot of haters... that hate only because they hate dbz fans

#73 Edited by JulieDC (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

The goku-superman battles it spawned are overrated...the show, I dunno, never watched it.

#74 Posted by XxGin (1450 posts) - - Show Bio

DBZ is overrated, completely.

#76 Posted by GunGunW (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah a little.... I mean a lot.

#77 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I enjoyed it as a kid, but whole episodes would go by with nothing happening. The anime became a flagrant cash grab by the time GT and the movies rolled out.

#78 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

It was decent up until after the Freeza saga then it got pointless.

#79 Edited by SOG7dc (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

no way. dbz has its following for a reason. its like the best cartoons ever. im 20 and i still love it. name an action/fighting/ hero cartoon that was better than dbz.....don't worry ill wait

#80 Edited by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
@sog7dc said:

no way. dbz has its following for a reason. its like the best cartoons ever. im 20 and i still love it. name an action/fighting/ hero cartoon that was better than dbz.....don't worry ill wait

Batman the animated series, the first saga of Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, both Fullmetal Alchemist series, Dragonball, DBZ Kai.

That wasn't too hard.

#81 Posted by SOG7dc (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam: I want to tell you how wrong you are but it's all subjective so whatevs

#82 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

neah. it's fine as animes go.

#83 Posted by ImmortalOne (3539 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@web_flotsam: I want to tell you how wrong you are but it's all subjective so whatevs

Don't you dare say that DBZ is better than B:TAS.

#84 Edited by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

But if it's all subjective, how am I wrong?

#85 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Dragon Ball Kai is what DBZ should have been.

Kai is soooooooooo much better.

#86 Posted by Wolverine08 (45689 posts) - - Show Bio

#87 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Haha, how is Z better than Kai though?

The only thing Z has over Kai is Mystic Gohan, who was totally badass. And who then jobbed because freaking Goku has to save the damn day.

#88 Posted by SOG7dc (8184 posts) - - Show Bio
#89 Edited by ImmortalOne (3539 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@immortalone: I think it definitely is

Well, opinions are opinions, but B:TAS had far more depth and story than any Dragon Ball.

#90 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: On what measure of anything is DBZ better then TAS?

#91 Edited by BlackWind (7228 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I love how you seem to think macro images are a real response. Lol.

#92 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

Still need to see Kai, DBZ without the filler sounds awesome.

#93 Posted by Wolverine08 (45689 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I love how you seem to think macro images are a real response. Lol.

I am just joking.

#94 Posted by Ace Thunder (416 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I think it might be overrated? Maybe not but it might have ran it's course. The only problem I have is when people are so defensive about something that they over look glaring flaws. The fact that people usually over a certain age lose interest is odd seeing how they had to make a certain character blue for the Kai series. Which is what just re dubbed repeats? When they would say new episode it would make me scratch me head.....

But yeah fans who would defend.....

Ace Thunder said:

sheenlantern said:

Because it has the worst fans in the world.

I was going to just say that I stopped following it when Goku became a red eyed monkey.

But that whole Popo thing never did sit right with me and if people are cosplaying it then there's my reasons why I'm not into it anymore.

Just saying.

Toonami was like church in 1999 but now I can't even follow that Beware the Batman crap.

I mean does Bats get knocked out in every episode? Didn't he do that in the 1960's series? And why the hell is his Batman voice the same as his Bruce Wayne Voice?

Sheesh. Beware The Crapman needs some senzu beans.

#95 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace_thunder: Kai isn't just re-dubbed, it's also re-edited to fix DBZ's infamously bad pacing by removing most of the filler and staying closer to the anime. Also, Popo is only blue in the censored Nick version, which is usually the one Kai haters complain about because they don't know that's not the original version.

#96 Posted by Ace Thunder (416 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

Well wasn't the DBZ series just a stretched out version of the DB movies?

I used to joke and call it Drag On Balls. Cause yeah that show drags all seven of them.

#97 Edited by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

I used to joke and call it Drag On Balls. Cause yeah that show drags all seven of them.

The filler was added so that they didn't overtake the manga's storyline.

#98 Edited by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace_thunder said:

@web_flotsam:

The filler was added so that they didn't overtake the manga's storyline.

That didn't make it any easier to sit through.

#99 Edited by Z3RO180 (6718 posts) - - Show Bio

What the fans think the characters can do is overrated. I.e. Goku defeating any powerhouse in comics, but in general no its a good show. Sure it has way to many fu£&ing fillers but other than that it ok

#100 Posted by SOG7dc (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam: Why even have this argument? I obviously feel a certain way and you do as well so why argue? Let's just agree to disagree