Is DBZ ACTUALLY one of the best animes ever?

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Johnni_Kun

@the_stegman said:

From reading these comments, it seems like the majority of people who like DBZ (or think it's awesome) fall into two categories

1. Nostalgic people, reliving the show they grew up on

2. Manga ignorant people who haven't watched anime/read manga outside of DBZ and a few other Shonen.

And from reading the comments of this thread, it seem that majority of people who dislike DBZ(or hate it.) fall into two categories.

1. Jealous people that are mad that their anime never reach the amount of success and praise as Dragon Ball Z.

2. Pretentious Otaku(s) that unfairly judge it as mindless action with their bias views.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#103  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@frogdog: It's your opinion the're bad; just like it's mine they're better then DBZ. Sure they had flaws but DBZ had plenty of those as well.

As for most of the people liking the prequels being "kids", I think that is an obvious spotlight fallacy.

Avatar image for teddy_the_god_killer
teddy_the_god_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best ever??? Compared to Akira, Guyver and manga like Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13???

I have watched a cross section of DBZ and it does not come close. It is a marketing tool to nth degree. It follows the current themes today of having characters that can get as powerful as possible to the detriment of innovative stories or appreciation. If you are a fan you will like it regardless, that is what it is partly designed to do. But putting up as the best ever...not even close.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And from reading the comments of this thread, it seem that majority of people who dislike DBZ(or hate it.) fall into two categories.

1. Jealous people that are mad that their anime never reach the amount of success and praise as Dragon Ball Z.

I have to agree I've seen this a lot..

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I hate Dbz fanboys so I'll say no even tho I saw half an episode 10 years ago and a lot of parodies so I know my stuff

#sarcasm

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

@decoyelite said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@frogdog said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

lol did someone seriously compare Star Wars to DBZ? Really? I'm just going to leave this thread.....

It's alot better than the prequels, or any of force unleashed games...

That's like comparing Empire Strikes Back to Broly: tLSS. You don't pick and choose comparisons.

Yeah you do. You pick and choose comparisons all the time otherwise you're comparing Stonehenge to Boy Meets World and everything just stops making sense.

Within the context of the previously decided upon comparable items. Come on, DE. That's a lack of intuitive leap akin to a Bendis-fan right there.

In my defense it was 6 in the morning and I might have been joking. I'm not sure anymore.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By DecoyElite
russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@russellmania77: Yeah that night was pretty crazy, I think that gorilla might have gotten most of the PCP.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dbz also gave dbz Abridged, remember? that qualifies it for one of the best :D

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some Hipster will claim yu gi oh abridged is better

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@frogdog said:

@princearagorn1 said:

Some Hipster will claim yu gi oh abridged is better

Popo solos.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: The problem with that comparison is none of those anime you listed are "the best ever either". Comparing those players to those anime is a massive insult to the players.

I was talking in terms of shohen, and equating fame, influence, and popularity for the anime with talent for the players.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Yes.

You may argue it. You may say "the other anime's are better. Better characters, no stupid yelling, etc."

The thing is, Dragon Ball Z is so popular, so successful, brought so many Americans into anime and manga, that you can't dispute that it is one of the greatest anime, whether you like it or not.

It's like disputing Liefeld's influence over Deadpool. Sure, Liefield may suck at writing and his Deadpool might not have been that good, but he made Deadpool.

Pop123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

You may argue it. You may say "the other anime's are better. Better characters, no stupid yelling, etc."

The thing is, Dragon Ball Z is so popular, so successful, brought so many Americans into anime and manga, that you can't dispute that it is one of the greatest anime, whether you like it or not.

It's like disputing Liefeld's influence over Deadpool. Sure, Liefield may suck at writing and his Deadpool might not have been that good, but he made Deadpool.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#119  Edited By silent_bomber

Just wanted to say, characterisation is one of the absolute strongest aspects of Dragon Ball Z, its specifically character development and plot that it has problems with (and even where the plot is concerned it had some memorable ideas, it just recycled them too much)

Ask anyone familiar with Dragonball Z to describe its characters and they'll stream off a lot of points with very little difficulty, Dragonball Z has very memorable, defined characters, they have personality, they're not deep thinkers, but are not supposed to be.

PS. Dragon Ball is actually much better than Dragon Ball Z

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

I love how people talking about DBZ defined anime and calling it the most influential totally forget about GUNDAM.

What did DBZ influence? Crappy shonens.

What did GUNDAM influence? AN ENTIRE F*CKING GENRE.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: You sir just put tHe best possible answer. MetH wants to buy you a beer.

@johnni_kun: HeHeHeHe... Get em!

-m3th.O.D.-

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

Maybe? What's your criteria for 'best'?

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@fadetoblackbolt said:

I love how people talking about DBZ defined anime and calling it the most influential totally forget about GUNDAM.

What did DBZ influence? Crappy shonens.

What did GUNDAM influence? AN ENTIRE F*CKING GENRE.

Exactly. And what about Astro boy? I mean it was the first popular japanese animated show and its creator is known as the God of manga. Their is no way in hell DBZ is more influential then Astro Boy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@dccomicsrule2011: Well, the DBZ artist is influential, to some degree. Nowhere near as influential as Tezuka, but really, who is?

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

Perfect song for the thread.

( +)

RC245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By RC245

We all have our favorites.

hudyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By hudyman

This thread is useless, people have different opinions, Dbz and Ergo proxy are one of the best animes i've seen in my life yet that is the opposite for other people.

You simply cannot talk about a thing like this as if you have full knowledge on how people's mind work.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: DBZ > transform... Gundam

#bring it

Even show a transformers animated has more substance than DBZ, outside the shitty live action movies, DBZ can't compare itself to transformers.

Don't even get me started on how inferior DBZ is compared to Gundam....

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: lol ur an idiot that couldn't comprehend the insult to gundam by comparing it to transformers dumbass

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: lol ur an idiot that couldn't comprehend the insult to gundam by comparing it to transformers dumbass

Anyone with a brain can figure out that comparing gundam to transformers, is definition of apple and oranges.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A lot of DBZ hate in this thread...............

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@russellmania77 said:

@fadetoblackbolt: DBZ > transform... Gundam

#bring it

Even show a transformers animated has more substance than DBZ, outside the shitty live action movies, DBZ can't compare itself to transformers.

Don't even get me started on how inferior DBZ is compared to Gundam....

Seriously? I hope you're joking..

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: What's to joke about, Transformers has more to it's lore than DBZ has. Not mention Gundam aired in different countries before Dragonball did.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@frogdog said:

@princearagorn1: What's to joke about, Transformers has more to it's lore than DBZ has. Not mention Gundam aired in different countries before Dragonball did.

It's one thing to say you like them more than dragonball. Other to say it's outright in another league from dbz. You may or may not like it, dbz is still one of the most classic animes out there. There isn't a league ahead..

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: Who said I hate DBZ? (aside from it's crazy fanboys) I was simply defending transformers and gundam.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@princearagorn1: Who said I hate DBZ? (aside from it's crazy fanboys) I was simply defending transformers and gundam.

okay..

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By russellmania77

@frogdog: gundam is worthless compared to Dbz, it has so much love that the Japanese government funded its new movie with 600,000 dollars

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DBZ didn't have the best story, doesn't have the best animation ( it's quite old) But it' still the best anime no matter what. DBZ is like Bruce Lee, even though there are probably some fighters that are currently better than him in our time, no one will be better than Bruce Lee, Just like no anime will be better than DBZ.

shatiquego582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most influential but not the best and not even close

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By MPfly88

No it's not....

It just became one of the most popular, iconic, and recognizable animes in the world by complete chance.

Sarcasm aside, whoever seriously said DBZ is not one of the best animes ever made, ya'll need to put your prejudice aside. Don't even try to pull the opinion card on this, because your opinion doesn't change the impact DBZ had in pop culture. Hate on the show all you want, but at least recognize it's insane popularity and that fact that many people considered it a quality show.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleach got me into anime. Although before that, I enjoyed watching DBZ from time to time.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DBZ is still epic till now. but gundam is better.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's not, but it's very relevant for being one of the better shonen anime of it's time, and bringing anime to a mainstream American audience.

JMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By JMG

I'm not really into anime but DBZ was one of my favorite shows in middle school.

But compared to the short list of animes that I've watched

Death Note > DBZ

nxtgenspree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of you people disgust me. "in terms of character development and plot it is nowhere near the best" "anyone who likes dragon ball z has horrible taste in anime" Let me tell you this if dragon ball z was introduced at the same time or after the anime that you critics enjoy such as naruto, you would have no doubt that it is the best anime ever an anime is not only about the story line etc it is about how well the viewers can connect with the characters and also the story line is amazing and so are the fights seeing goku get hit in the stomach and spew out blood and reacting as if it were you that got hit, the tears many cried when vegeta sacrificed himself in an effort to kill maajin buu and hugged trunks for the first time.the joy you felt when gohan destroyed cell,the sigh of relief when gokuu's spirit bomb finally finished buu and for you "anime proffessionals" that think you know what makes an anime good, word of advice don't watch anime because of anything technical, just sit down and watch it if you like it keep watching it and if you don't just don't watch it...and once again, for the people who talk about poor character development and storyline...you must not have gotten the same chills as DBZ lovers when goku became super saiyan 1 for the first time and defeated frieza and still felt the same level of excitement when 2 and 3 were introduced. DBZ is the greatest anime to me and i think its the greatest of all time, the way the characters can connect with you is truly amazing and i don't think there will ever be another anime like it for a long time

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

*anime*

And the answer is still no.

Dragon Ball Z wouldn't even crack the top 10 of shonen for me let alone anime in general.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I barely watched any anime, but I'd say yes. Lol.

- TAS

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

*anime*

And the answer is still no.

Dragon Ball Z wouldn't even crack the top 10 of shonen for me let alone anime in general.

QFT.