#1 Posted by nickzambuto (15026 posts) - - Show Bio

Nostalgia aside, how does the classic Dragon Ball Z rank up to some of today's great animes and mangas? Now obviously everyone's initial reaction is a massive "hell yeah", but just take a minute to think. We all have great memories of DBZ, after all, 99% of anime fans only got into the genre in the first place BECAUSE of DBZ.

But put all that aside. Judging Dragon Ball Z (just Z, not the original or GT because, to be honest, they weren't quite as popular) alongside other great animes, does it really hold up? Or is it overrated and only remembered because it was lucky enough to air on Toonami, whereas better anime weren't?

(All that said my own answer is of course a massive hell yeah :P)

#2 Posted by JediXMan (31328 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even close.

#3 Posted by OverLordArhas (7793 posts) - - Show Bio

I would agree

#4 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (26988 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Dragon Ball Z is nowhere near the best, and quite frankly whoever says otherwise either has a horrible taste in anime, nostalgia is clowding their judgment or they have not watched enough to anime to know any better.

The same can be said with Sailor Moon; they both impacted their respectvie genre (shonen for DBZ and Shojo for Sailor Moon) But saying either one of them is the G.O.A.T. anime is complete and utter nonsense.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

I barely watched any anime, but I'd say yes. Lol.

#6 Posted by Vaccine (277 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the most popular? Sure. Iconic? Probably. THE best? Nah.

#7 Posted by MonsterStomp (20645 posts) - - Show Bio

Was never really into anime but DBZ was enjoyable when I watched a few episodes. Same with Naruto and One Piece.

#8 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10580 posts) - - Show Bio

Most influential? Yeah, I don't think anyone could doubt that. Best anime/manga ever? Nehhh, not even close.

#9 Posted by mikethekiller (8492 posts) - - Show Bio

No it's the same damn sh** every saga.

#10 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

For the "anime community" No but for the modern man HELL YES.

Nobody can argue this with Meth. Meth knows a lot of DBZ fans who never watched any other anime show. At the same time huge anime fans don't see the awesomeness that is DBZ.

In the end of the day it's all subjective $#!% so there is no point in arguing.

-m3th.O.D.-

#11 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (12096 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since Death Battle reignited the great Goku vs Superman wars in the winters of 2013, Ive gained a major dislike for the series. But putting that aside short answer No, long answer HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOO. I prefer Bleach or FMA.

#12 Posted by jhazzroucher (16514 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one of the best animes ever.

#13 Posted by ccraft (5612 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Dragon Ball is the best anime, Soul Eater 2nd, and 3rd DBZ. I don't watch much anime. Death Note was pretty good.

#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL

Not even in the same league as the best.

I love DBZ, but come on, it's mindless entertainment. The only time it gets anywhere near depth or decent characterisation is GT, and everyone hates that.

#15 Posted by kalkorratessg3 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one of the most mainstreem/ famous. Not the best. Better than some of the recent crap (looking at you soul eater)

#16 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (20339 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. z was absolutely brilliant till frieza's death, one of the only animes I never felt like missing an episode.

But after that it got a bit repetitive.. and frankly, uninteresting. Cell is dead? cell is back? meh. And why would the final monster of an action packed anime be a pink colored bubblegum? Just sad. No other words.

But if you consider raditz-frieza, I'd easily rate it in my top 10. (Besides ginyu turning into a frog grr)

#17 Posted by dondave (38907 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Nefarious (22946 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess so.

#19 Posted by scorpion2501 (7439 posts) - - Show Bio

No. DBZ is really bad compared to most anime.

I don't really like shonen anime, but I enjoyed a few. DBZ is fun when you're young, the plot is less important than the fighting. But now even the fighting scenes look really bad compared to an anime like Fate/Zero for example.

#20 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18986 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of poplarity and iconicism? Sure.

In terms of story, characters, animation? Not even a little bit.

#21 Posted by Juiceboks (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

Influential and iconic? Yep. Entertaining for damn near everyone that watched it back in the day? Absolutely. Is it up there in terms of quality with Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Yu Yu Hakasho, and Lupin the 3rd? Hell no.

#22 Posted by Joygirl (19955 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is more entertaining than DBZ (and I meant that in a derogatory way, despite finding PSG palatable).

#23 Posted by Juiceboks (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl The only anime I know more over the top than Panty and Stocking is Puni Puni Poemi.

#24 Edited by frogdog (3571 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

No. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is more entertaining than DBZ (and I meant that in a derogatory way, despite finding PSG palatable).

Fly away isn't just song, it's Japanese slang for an orgasm...

#25 Posted by Skysword (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even close to the best.

#26 Edited by cresentking (350 posts) - - Show Bio

it's was the best when it came out maybe few year after but by today standard it's not also there are alot of anime that has better story and plot than dbz

#27 Posted by Marshall_Long (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't really compare Dbz to today's anime that's not really fair, Anime's like Hunter X Hunter, Naruto, One Piece, Toriko all get influence from Dragonball except they take it deeper than Dragonball ever did. But to be honest I give Toriyama a lot of more credit then any other Author, he created a pretty good Shonen when he didn't even feel like writing it.

#28 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. Fun to watch though.

#29 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's put it like this: Bill Russell would get slayed on 1-on-1 by Magic, Jordan, Kobe, or Lebron, but every single one of them will admit admiration for him and his impact. If you replace them with DBZ, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail (ok, maybe not FT...), you'll see that I am stoned, watching Anime highlights and thinking about basketball.

#30 Posted by Marshall_Long (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise: Replace Fairy Tail with Toriko, or Hunter X Hunter then yeah I agree lol.

#31 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18986 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise: The problem with that comparison is none of those anime you listed are "the best ever either". Comparing those players to those anime is a massive insult to the players.

#32 Edited by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (11187 posts) - - Show Bio

While I do favor other manga over DBZ because of their story and characters, DBZ will always be my favorite just because it's DBZ. Loved that show since I saw it and will never not love it. Unless it's GT, then it can go to hell.(Hates GT with a burning passion.)

#33 Posted by Jimmie_Hudson_ (296 posts) - - Show Bio

well it is quite popular

#35 Posted by Date_Masamune (168 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't really compare Dbz to today's anime that's not really fair, Anime's like Hunter X Hunter, Naruto, One Piece, Toriko all get influence from Dragonball except they take it deeper than Dragonball ever did. But to be honest I give Toriyama a lot of more credit then any other Author, he created a pretty good Shonen when he didn't even feel like writing it.

I agree it's like comparing an old game console to a new game console, and yeah people forget that Toriyama never really wanted to write Dbz he was forced too that's why it's a bit repetitive.

#36 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

DBZ is god worthy

#37 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

It all comes down to opinion, in mine it is not.

#38 Posted by NoBody134 (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#39 Edited by The Stegman (26106 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not even in the top 20

#40 Posted by frogdog (3571 posts) - - Show Bio

it's was the best when it came out maybe few year after but by today standard it's not also there are alot of anime that has better story and plot than dbz

Bleach and Fairy Tale disprove your logic about today's standards.

#41 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8107 posts) - - Show Bio

Um yes. It is.

It's a HUGE anime that has worldwide popularity.

No it doesn't have the best story, or character development or whatever. But you can't deny that it's one of the biggest and best animes ever.

#42 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (26988 posts) - - Show Bio

Um yes. It is.

No it doesn't have the best story, or character development or whatever. But you can't deny that it's one of the biggest and best animes ever.

Yes. Yes I can.

#43 Posted by xlab3000 (3369 posts) - - Show Bio

Some animes were inspired off of DBZ. It's one of the best animes IMO.

#44 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18986 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Edited by InFamous_Wolf (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

Um yes. It is.

This comment makes no type of sense.

#46 Posted by Vance Astro (91416 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes perfect sense. He's saying that on the technical side you can find flaws in it but as far as it's appeal and recognition it's one of the biggest animes ever.

Yes. Yes I can.

Actually I don't think you can. DBZ in terms of success is definitely one of the biggest animes ever.

#47 Edited by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (26988 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: I was actually referring to it being one of the best anime of all time part. Hence why I only underlined the best, and left the biggest untouched.

I see DBZ how I view George Mikan; sure Mikan impacted the game of basketball by a significant margin, but comparing him to someone of Kareem's caliber is just plain wrong.

Well that's my opinion at least I'm sure majority will disagree *shrugs*

#49 Edited by MrDirector786 (43650 posts) - - Show Bio

Like others in this thread have said, it had a huge impact and is immensely popular but as just in terms of storytelling and characterization it wasn't that great.

#50 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

@infamous_wolf said:

It makes perfect sense. He's saying that on the technical side you can find flaws in it but as far as it's appeal and recognition it's one of the biggest animes ever.

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

Yes. Yes I can.

Actually I don't think you can. DBZ in terms of success is definitely one of the biggest animes ever.

I underlined the part where he said it does not have the best story and character development. Then calls it one of the best animes. Yes it is one of the biggest in terms of recognition but one of the best in terms of quality no where close.