Is Crossbones poised to seize control?

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VoloErgoMalus
Will Crossbones become the new face of evil in Marvel?
Will Crossbones become the new face of evil in Marvel?

For the longest time, I thought he was just some goon associated with the Red Skull, but now I see that he is in fact the heir to the Red Skull. You see, before he met the Red Skull, Rumlow was a troubled, psychopathic youth living on the fringes of society, with a savage streak and a criminal record, angry at the world but with no outlet for that anger. The Skull took him in as his protege, teaching him discipline, to use his anger to serve his cause, and that the world belonged to the strong, who would exterminate or enslave the weak. Sound familiar?

Crossbones' origin parallels the Red Skull's. In the Skull's case, his mentor was Adolf Hitler, who facilitated the transformation of Schmidt the young, dark bellhop into a feared symbol of Nazi strength. Now, Schmidt has an apprentice of his own in the form of Brock Rumlow. Both the Red Skull and Crossbones are symbols of terror, but unlike Hitler, who trained Schmidt to lead the Nazis against the allies, the Skull trained Rumlow (an American) to strike at the heart of the free world as a subversive master criminal and terrorist.

Crossbones has developed a fanatical devotion to his cause that at least matches the Red Skull's. What's more is that, while the Red Skull has stagnated and become increasingly erratic in his goals (from uniting the world under Nazism to global anarchy), Crossbones' resolve has never wavered. Perhaps more than his master, Crossbones is equipped to bring about a collapse of the world order in the 21st century. It may be that, like Skull eventually abandoned Hitler, later describing him as weak and impotent, Crossbones will shed the increasingly senile "dead weight" that is the Red Skull, thus creating a chain of apprentices killing their masters, as with the Sith Lords.

What do you think? Will the Red Skull be a greater foe for Captain America than Crossbones for the foreseeable future, or should Steve (or Sam) be worried about the day that Crossbones seizes control of Schmidt's legacy?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Maybe? Last time I saw him was in Punisher's latest and I wouldn't say he's upped his cred. This is Marvel so, you never know. Make him Inhuman, and I think we'd have a winner!

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

Maybe? Last time I saw him was in Punisher's latest and I wouldn't say he's upped his cred. This is Marvel so, you never know. Make him Inhuman, and I think we'd have a winner!

I wonder if he truly lost his powers, or doesn't use them because they damage his body. Perhaps Rumlow is too loyal to take over the operation while the Red Skull is still alive, or enjoys being a foot soldier.

He may not be upping his cred, but Crossbones has for a long time been one of the more "badass" characters in Marvel. He's been fighting all his life, has years of training, including that by Taskmaster, and spent time as a mercenary before becoming the Red Skull's top enforcer.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An interesting idea, but unlikely.

Beata

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I could see it happening if Red Skull ever dies. Crossbones and Sin would make a great psychotic, villainous couple.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@battle_forum_junkie said:

I could see it happening if Red Skull ever dies. Crossbones and Sin would make a great psychotic, villainous couple.

That's just it. Maybe Sin could supply the impetus/ambition of the couple. Crossbones, ever the savvy criminal, lacks motivation in the absence of the Red Skull and constantly wants to "cash in his chips", or settle a personal score with Captain America, while Sin reminds him of their lofty goals, the reason they're fighting in the first place. A sort of Lady Macbeth relationship, and almost a continuation of the Sith master-apprentice chain (each link aiming higher than the last) at the same time.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crossbones is in Amazing X-men right now but I don't want to spoil too much.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's just it. Maybe Sin could supply the impetus/ambition of the couple. Crossbones, ever the savvy criminal, lacks motivation in the absence of the Red Skull and constantly wants to "cash in his chips", or settle a personal score with Captain America, while Sin reminds him of their lofty goals, the reason they're fighting in the first place. A sort of Lady Macbeth relationship, and almost a continuation of the Sith master-apprentice chain (each link aiming higher than the last) at the same time.

Now I really, really want this to happen. Let's hope someone over at Marvel has the same idea...

How is the new Captain America series, by the way? I wasn't too impressed when the comic was first renumbered, but I'm considering picking it up again.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@darthmummy said:

Now I really, really want this to happen. Let's hope someone over at Marvel has the same idea...

How is the new Captain America series, by the way? I wasn't too impressed when the comic was first renumbered, but I'm considering picking it up again.

I'm in the same boat, actually, so I couldn't tell you. I've been sort of distracted from comics in general lately, actually. I'm hoping to start collecting in earnest again in the coming year.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy said:

I'm in the same boat, actually, so I couldn't tell you. I've been sort of distracted from comics in general lately, actually. I'm hoping to start collecting in earnest again in the coming year.

Sorry for assuming like that. I can't say I blame you, though. it was especially disappointing after the great run Brubaker left us with...

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@battle_forum_junkie: It's all right; I must come off as very Cap-centric, and I'm planning to jump back on the monthly soon (hopefully at a convenient point).

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy: Cause he's never been a huge focus when it comes villains.

Beata

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VoloErgoMalus
Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Really would love to see more and more of Crossbones. One of my favourite villains.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@guru_crack said:

Really would love to see more and more of Crossbones. One of my favourite villains.

Why do you like Crossbones? I'm not dissing him, I really want to know. For what it's worth, I think his skills and abilities make him the foremost henchman in the Marvel universe.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Now that would be very, very cool.

@albusan said:

I've heard that series has really picked up in quality. I'll place it higher on my list of titles to catch up on.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If he doesn't stop getting one shotted by Winter Soldier, Crossbones will never be the face of Marvel's evil masterminds And I'm saying this as a huge Crossbones fan.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@ms-lola said:

@darthmummy said:

@albusan said:

I've heard that series has really picked up in quality. I'll place it higher on my list of titles to catch up on.

Crossbones is also currently in Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@jonny_anonymous said:

@ms-lola said:

@darthmummy said:

@albusan said:

Crossbones is also currently in Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier

He also just had a villainous cameo in All-New Captain America. Sin was the main villain, so I've been able to get acquainted with her character a bit more.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he doesn't stop getting one shotted by Winter Soldier, Crossbones will never be the face of Marvel's evil masterminds And I'm saying this as a huge Crossbones fan.

Unfortunately, he just got one shotted by Sam Wilson in All-New Captain America. However, it was a sneak attack, and Sam was willing to sacrifice the element of surprise to take him out without a fight, even though Zemo, a doomsday device, and other bad guys were around, so it actually increases Crossbones' cred.