#1 Posted by Drummer007 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I told my daughter (who is 3) last night I'd get her a new comic book but there isn't much out there for her age. I've picked up Scooby Doo before and she liked it and we've bought Tinker Bell graphic novels and got Strawberry Shortcake during FCBD this year. I want to get something new but not over her head. Is Batman Li'l Gotham a good choice or is there another book that would be better?

#2 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's probably meant more for 8-13 year olds if it's going to be anything like Marvel Adventures.

#3 Edited by TheTrueBarryAllen (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Did a quick search on it, and Comixology said it was 9+

I've never read the series myself but the artwork looks nice, it might just be the reading level or certain content.

You might want to have someone whose actually read the series give you an opinion though :)

#4 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all ages but I wouldn't say designed for a 3-year old. So it wouldn't be inappropriate or anything but the art isn't as bold or eye catching.

Comic book tie-ins to the cartoons usually go over well. So if you can find a Batman: Brave and the Bold or something. Not even sure what's on anymore, but usually there's a corresponding all ages comic to go with it.

Then there's the kid-targeted stuff. We used to sell a lot of Franklin Richards and Supergirl Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade, but again, I'm not even sure what's available now.

And then if it doesn't have to be superheroes, you can always do Archie or Sonic or the Disney character comics. Or the Owly books, which was what we always suggested for kids trying to learn to read.

EDIT: Peeps are saying it's rated 9+, not all ages.

#5 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

It's rated 9+. I think it's because of the reading level. You should read some issues and decide if its appropriate or not for your daughter because everyone has different views on what's appropriate or inappropriate.

#6 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

It's rated 9+. I think it's because of the reading level. You should read some issues and decide if its appropriate or not for your daughter because everyone has different views on what's appropriate or inappropriate.

That would be the limiting factor, the series is fairly verbose. However, if the OP were looking to expose their daughter to a higher reading level, Lil' Gotham isn't a bad choice. Gore-free action, an entertaining younger cast (Colin, finally!), and best of all it's free of any New-52 retcons.

#7 Edited by The_Tree (7209 posts) - - Show Bio

Get Tiny Titans!

#8 Posted by Kangaxx_54 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Li'l Gotham is totally awesome, you should, if nothing else, buy it for yourself :). Personally, I'd say that image-wise it's fine. The art is very good, with a slightly childish bent, and there's always a lot to look at. There's often self-contained funny situations that only last one or two panels (for example, Damian being unable to lick a frozen ice-cream waffle, with predictable results). Overall though, I think the plot might be a tad too advanced for a 3-year-old (disclaimer: I don't know any 3-yo kids!). The writing isn't really dumbed down, it's just clean and funny. I'd say a 5-yo should easily be able to enjoy it with some help. But try it out! The images alone, plus the funny situations is worth it all IMO.

#9 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

Itty Bitty Hellboy is suppose to be a pretty good all ages title too.

#10 Edited by RustyRoy (10900 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say its for all ages, the art alone will keep any 3 year old interested in the book.