#1 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Now.. im no expert in firearms/weapons in general, so im asking you. Now, if you just went out and asked me what would be most effective; a gun or a bow, i would instantly say gun, i mean there should be a reason we generally look at bow and arrow as an outdated form of weaponary.

Now the geak in me, who have read tons of Hawkeye and Green Arrows kinda wants a differant answer, so i tried making a very ignorant list of pros and cons of a bow vs a gun, now just correct the list if you want to:

Pro list bow:

Reusable ammo, possible to utilize a bow for close combat(Like we have seen Green Arrow, Hawkeye and Legolas do dozen of times), trick arrows, its possible that you have guns today that you can just throw all kind of different bullets into, i dont know, but a bow seems easier to use for trick shots. Its light to carry around, looks badass, less lethal??(which i guess is possibly a good thing since most bow wielding heroes try to spare the lifes of their ''victims''), stealth.

Con list bow:

Less ammo, slow reload, short range, easier to aim a firearm(i dont know this for certain, just something ive heard), firearms are in general way more deadly(which as above could be either a good thing or a bad thing), clumsy to carry around.

It just seems that there isnt many pros if you look strictly at bows vs firearms, but i guess you can argument that guys like Hawkeye, have been trained in such a manner that his bow have become a lethal part of himself.... That and all his trick arrows which potentially can be way more lethal than a normal bullet. Is there any guys out there with more knowledge of weapons that can tell me how realistic it would be to use a bow as your primary weapon in a world where gangs round around with ak47s.

#2 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skunkstein said:

Pro list bow:

Reusable ammo, possible to utilize a bow for close combat(Like we have seen Green Arrow, Hawkeye and Legolas do dozen of times), trick arrows, its possible that you have guns today that you can just throw all kind of different bullets into, i dont know, but a bow seems easier to use for trick shots. Its light to carry around, looks badass, less lethal??(which i guess is possibly a good thing since most bow wielding heroes try to spare the lifes of their ''victims''), stealth.

Most of these only apply to Comic! bows like Hawkeye and Green Arrow use. In reality, a bow's ammo is rarely reusable, it's not a good idea to use it in melee (At least you can slam someone with the butt of a gun) and trick arrows would generally have horrible aerodynamics and would barely make it to the target most of the time. I doubt it's even noticeably lighter compared to most guns, and it takes a ton more practice and a lot of physical strength to use one.

The only real advantage bow has is stealth, and that too can be compensated with gear and stuff. So your original assessment was right. The bow is an outdated weapon. Of course comics have never bothered with what's realistic or not, nor should we want them to.

#3 Posted by Wolfrazer (5939 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

@Skunkstein said:

Pro list bow:

Most of these only apply to Comic! bows like Hawkeye and Green Arrow use. In reality, a bow's ammo is rarely reusable, it's not a good idea to use it in melee (At least you can slam someone with the butt of a gun) and trick arrows would generally have horrible aerodynamics and would barely make it to the target most of the time. I doubt it's even noticeably lighter compared to most guns, and it takes a ton more practice and a lot of physical strength to use one.

The only real advantage bow has is stealth, and that too can be compensated with gear and stuff. So your original assessment was right. The bow is an outdated weapon. Of course comics have never bothered with what's realistic or not, nor should we want them to.

^ Pretty much this.
#4 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

RL bows are average but the ones in myth and legend are pretty badass

#5 Posted by kuonphobos (4775 posts) - - Show Bio

As can bee seen in both Walking Dead and Revolution in a possible low-tech situation the bow will become superior as supplies dwindle. It is an ancient weapon that will remain relevant once this temporary "tech" age ends.

=)

#6 Posted by jloneblackheart (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

Other pros: Bows don't jam and you can make your own arrows.

#7 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19884 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

Other cons : You can't use it with one arm :P

#8 Posted by Pyrogram (34314 posts) - - Show Bio

I did archery for a while, bows are not as stealthy as people say, but they are excellent , Lightweight, no jam. Easy to use after little prastice for short range. Crossbows are also good.

#9 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@jloneblackheart said:

actually... you can. you can also use bows and crossbows with your feet, but they are usually adapted

#10 Posted by Xorion (438 posts) - - Show Bio

In comics what makes them strong is the people who are using them are no missers and have many trick arrows (that explodes and dos ome stuff)but in reality no bow can take my hunting rifles place so it's an outdated weapon

#11 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

There effective as a survival weapon.

#12 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, they are...

#13 Posted by Swagger462 (374 posts) - - Show Bio

You need to be more specific I think. For example a bow can't be used in close quarters really. But then if you took the older M16 if you smash someone in the face with it it is likely it's not going to fire anymore. Then there's also your point about variety of ammunition. The Spas 12 shotgun is famous for it's versatility. Teargas rounds, shotgun shells and beanbag/rubber bullets being able to be used with no alteration. If you pick a specific bow and a specific gun this might go better.

Or, you could keep it broad but then you'll have to stick to pros and cons that are just as broad. For example the training required to make a bow effectively lethal is more than a gun. Things like that.

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Eventually.

#15 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@jloneblackheart said:

B*tch please :P

#16 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Also:

what do you think?

#17 Edited by Cap10nate (2121 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer to hunt with my bow because it requires much more skill and stealth than rifle hunting. However, in a combat situation, there are few situations in which a bow would be advantageous. basically only in an environment which a firearm could malfunction or ammo be scarce would the bow be a better choice. A silenced handgun with a skilled marksman would be more deadly than a bow at close distances and any rifle could outperform the bow at a long range.

#18 Posted by Swordsman83 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

how is the speed for shooting a bow from using a gun ?

#19 Edited by Wolfrazer (5939 posts) - - Show Bio
@Swordsman83 said:

Well theres a lot of factors for that, the size of the arrow, what its made out of, the draw of the bow, etc etc but it would be nowhere near the speed of a bullet, a round from a handgun travels at 1,000+ fps while rifle rounds and such travel far faster.
#20 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wait until the zombie apocalypse comes....

#21 Posted by Swordsman83 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

@Swordsman83 said:

Well theres a lot of factors for that, the size of the arrow, what its made out of, the draw of the bow, etc etc but it would be nowhere near the speed of a bullet, a round from a handgun travels at 1,000+ fps while rifle rounds and such travel far faster.

so to speak, bow is better for stealth kill, if want to break out from enemies encirclement, guns are better.

#22 Edited by Wolfrazer (5939 posts) - - Show Bio
@Swordsman83 said:

@Wolfrazer said:

@Swordsman83 said:

so to speak, bow is better for stealth kill, if want to break out from enemies encirclement, guns are better.

Not really, or not so much anymore given that you could always have a silencer on your gun.
#23 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xorion said:

In comics what makes them strong is the people who are using them are no missers and have many trick arrows (that explodes and dos ome stuff)but in reality no bow can take my hunting rifles place so it's an outdated weapon

http://www.basspro.com/Bows/_/S-12425001001

Yeah umm...

Also with the proper bow and arrow it can puncture kevlar.

#24 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

@Swordsman83 said:

False, I can drop a deer at half a mile with a common 270 rifle. That's infinitely more stealthy because the deer will never be able to spot you at that distance unless you do it on purpose.

The gun has the bow beaten and buried since the 17th century

#25 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I read through this whole thing so I'll try give my two cents. Bows in comparison to modern day guns are almost completely outdated. Guns are easier to use, easier to become more proficient in in a shorter amount of time, (depending on the gun) fire multiple shots faster, and are more accurate on a farther distance.

The thing about bows in the modern world is almost nobody whose planing on defending themselves from a group of six people who start 40 feet away with a bow. Seriously think about it, are you going to choose a loaded six shooter or a bow with six arrows?

I will now give me pros of bows over modern guns in a protection/battle situation.

Bows

Typically Lighter.

Quieter.

That's about it. Bows take years to master, I've been shooting for four years and I still miss from the point of where I'm aiming from time to time. Guns are way easier to carry in a tight spot (I mean literally) even a rifle is. The reason being they are basically a straight line, bows would take up more room because they curved, they are still curved when they are unstrung as well. They would be harder to fire in a narrow hall than a gun since you have to use so much room in order just to fire the arrow properly. So for moving around they are not as good as a gun, especially if we're talking about a pistol.

Are they better for stealth? Depends on the scenario. Woods? Possibly. Crowded area from a vantage point? Again, possibly. Now if you're going against a group of thugs in the dark and you have a vantage point on them then I would say yes. Dark warehouse with an echo? This goes to both depending on the situation. If you have a gun with a flash guard then I'd go with the gun because the sound will help confuse them and with the flash guard they wont be able to pin point your location. If you don't have a flash guard then bow, the reason I would not use the bow in the other situation is because bows do make a noise, or I should say the string does. It's quiet but it's there and it won't really cause much of an echo, plus it'll be easier to figure out where the arrow came from given the position of the arrow itself in whatever you hit.

Now to the point of silencers. That is the popularized term for them they are called by people in law enforcement or in the military, (or anyone who already knows or who looks this stuff up to write with some accuracy on the subject) suppressors and this is a more accurate term for them. They do not actually silence a gun to the quite little whisper noise it is in films. Yes it still makes that noise but it isn't nearly as undetectable as henchmen guarding areas farther up the hallway would lead you to believe. So in that sense a bow would be better for stealth.

Anyway I think I've made my point for now. Bows are nowhere near as practical in the modern world of weaponry as guns are. They are however in my opinion more fun, more challenging, and much more relaxing. Hard to bring yourself to inner peace when you have a jolt run threw you every time you squeeze that trigger as opposed the the nice sense of calm right when you send that arrow off.