#1 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not discriminating or anything, I just want a place for those who are in the U.S., who haven't seen it yet, and have AVOIDED all other Iron Man 3 movie threads at all costs to prevent spoilers from ensuing. Simply a thread for those who may be going at midnight tonight, if they've dressed up, watched the "Iron Man Marathon" (1&2) in theaters, or other crazy stuff on this crazy night (no one does midnight releases like us in the U.S.!!!). So, if you have any interesting stories, or just want to share your excitement with others who haven't seen it yet, feel free to post in here!!!

P.S., Please don't be a douche by spoiling the movie, or talk crap about it to reduce our excitement. If you've already watched it, i'll appreciate it if you withhold all opinions until tomorrow.

-I'll also appreciate it if a mod would delete posts that may contain spoilers.

#2 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to the midnight release! Sooo many people are going, it's crazy. People who aren't even comic book fans are going. I think this movie is poised to eclipse 1 billion.

The third Iron Man installation has already proven overseas that the franchise can stand on its own, or at least on the shoulders of giants: Iron Man 3 grossed an estimated $195.3 million internationally for its first five days in 42 territories. According to Deadlineit's "the #1 film in every market and is the biggest opening weekend of all time in Asia Pacific and Latin America" — and Iron Man 3 still has yet to open up in Russia, China, and Germany. In The Avengers' first five days in 39 territories it made $185.1 million. Although it's worth noting, as Adam B. Vary at BuzzFeed does, that "Japanese moviegoers had to wait three months before The Avengers opened in their country — Iron Man 3 suffered no such delay." The Avengers went on to become the third highest grossing movie of all time.

Link

#3 Posted by TheCannon (18294 posts) - - Show Bio

This comment is kind of pointless, but still.

I can't wait for it. I've rewatched the first two IMs for this, and with how much acclaim it's gotten, I can't wait. Just a few more hours. I just have the feeling it's going to be one of the best comic movies ever. I just hope Mandarin's ring actually do something and aren't just for show (in all the trailer I've seen, he hasn't done anything with the rings. But maybe that's to build suspense).

#4 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@thecannon said:

This comment is kind of pointless, but still.

I can't wait for it. I've rewatched the first two IMs for this, and with how much acclaim it's gotten, I can't wait. Just a few more hours. I just have the feeling it's going to be one of the best comic movies ever. I just hope Mandarin's ring actually do something and aren't just for show (in all the trailer I've seen, he hasn't done anything with the rings. But maybe that's to build suspense).

That's the exciting part, IMO. Ben kingsley looks to have a great performance. We all know the mandarin, but we have seen him do NOTHING yet. I also can't wait to see the powers of the super soldiers. In the comics (spoilers): Some of them have super speed!!! Will be awesome to see. Also, hulk buster fight?!? Sold.

#5 Edited by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Will probably see it monday if everything goes according to plan...Can't wait to see it. Looks awesome. Only 2 things do I expect, 1) that Don Cheedle will be awesome as Rhodey... again 2) That the rest of the returning cast will be awesome... again.

#6 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (412 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was good.

There really was no point in doing the fake-out Mandarin though. I think Guy Pearce did a good enough job as the villain and it was so painfully obvious that he was a villain from the beginning, that it was insulting to the audience's intelligence to have Tony go on this huge detective quest to find out things that we already figured out ourselves. The Mandarin thing was cheap, and selling Guy Pearce as Mandarin just didn't work for me. As far as I feel, we didn't get The Mandarin in an Iron Man movie, which is a damn shame. I'm also not sure what was up with Tony being gimped with no suit when he just makes a request for the army of suits to pop out of the ruins of his house later. I didn't like that, and also thought the Jason Bourne-esque stuff he was doing out of the suit was very out of character and over the top. I also didn't like Pepper saving the day. Definitely some big flaws but I loved Guy Pearce's performance, thought it had some very funny parts, and the special effects on Extremis subjects were wonderful.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

Elektra>Iron Man 3.

#8 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha it sure was

IM3 maybe most overrated movie marvels released. This film desperately needed Favreau at the helm. I thought it was ironic how all this shit was going on while he was asleep the whole movie.

Also how about Phase 2 stumbling right out the gate? Hope it's not a sign of things to come. I was so excited for this movie and it really let me down. Enjoyable in parts but totally made Tony do out of character things, not to mention abandoning the real Extremis storyline. Worst IM movie.

#9 Edited by The Stegman (23914 posts) - - Show Bio

It was very disappointing.

1. WAY too much forced comedy, it's like every other word out of RDJ's mouth was some sarcastic remark or quip, I like RDJ because of his humor but it made this feel like more of a comedy than a superhero movie.

2. Tony's ridiculous flipping around the room to catch his break away armor which leads to the next point...

3. TOO MUCH USE OF THAT STUPID SUIT!!! I know it's the focus point of the movie, he has a brand new shiny suit, but come on! We get it, it flies at him fast and he hast to jump and react to it, but seeing that four times in one movie gets old, same thing with the "Oh, Tony's not in the suit, he's controlling it from a far." gag they used three times.

4. The TRUE villain's plan was pretty vague, why exactly did he want to kill the president? And him as a villain entirely was pretty boring.

5. Pepper was just as useless as always except for the end when she becomes ''Super Pepper" because we all know she didn't /really/ fall to her death, that would be too unpredictable.

#10 Posted by Saren (25613 posts) - - Show Bio

It was alright. The first film is still the best.

#11 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17953 posts) - - Show Bio

it was a VERY good movie. i Liked it and i was not let down.

#12 Edited by Uncanny_Doom (412 posts) - - Show Bio

Was the line where we hear Ben Kingsley ask "Do you want an empty life, or a meaningful death?" even in the movie? I remember it in the trailer.

#13 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Once again they made Tony's suits seem obsolete. His billion dollar suits seemed totally worthless. His new prototype wasn't even cool. That thing was like a broken antique. I get it was funny, but there comes a point when it's just making light of the whole character. They crossed a line where Tony was no longer making the jokes but becoming the joke.

I don't know why they just didn't stick to the original Extremis storyline. It would make perfect sense, after the events of Avengers 1, that the government or some rogue agency would seek to create a super soldier program out of need for more super humans in wake of alien invasions. You could still have Mandarin as a threat, resembling that of North Korea. A leader just trying to get in the world arms race for power while the US is now (decades ahead) creating superheroes (well trying to anyway as the Extremis project ulimately fails). That would really bring the movies full circle with this theme of escalation. It would also make sense as an Avengers 2 prelude. But they really dumbed it down for this one.

My prediction still stands that it'll do we'll at the box office. But that's mostly because I think people who aren't fans of the comics will eat it up and also just because the hype was so high.

#14 Edited by TDK_1997 (14684 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie wasn't bad as I expected it to be but it definitely isn't any better than the first one but I sure enjoyed it more than the second one.There were a lot of weak points but it just worked way more for me than the second part.

#15 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was good.

There really was no point in doing the fake-out Mandarin though. I think Guy Pearce did a good enough job as the villain and it was so painfully obvious that he was a villain from the beginning, that it was insulting to the audience's intelligence to have Tony go on this huge detective quest to find out things that we already figured out ourselves. The Mandarin thing was cheap, and selling Guy Pearce as Mandarin just didn't work for me. As far as I feel, we didn't get The Mandarin in an Iron Man movie, which is a damn shame. I'm also not sure what was up with Tony being gimped with no suit when he just makes a request for the army of suits to pop out of the ruins of his house later. I didn't like that, and also thought the Jason Bourne-esque stuff he was doing out of the suit was very out of character and over the top. I also didn't like Pepper saving the day. Definitely some big flaws but I loved Guy Pearce's performance, thought it had some very funny parts, and the special effects on Extremis subjects were wonderful.

Amen

#16 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok i'm back straight from the theater, Giving fresh and honest opinions here.

Tony Stark has had his moments of ups and downs in this trilogy. He's on top of the world one moment, and he's in deep trouble in another. In some ways, I felt that this movie had all of that.This is arguably Tony Starks most emotional movie, but it was also the most comical.

Starting with the mandarin. I don't understand what gave them the idea that they had the audacity to do what they did with that character. He was butchered. Plain and simple. I'm not a huge iron man fan, but iron man fans would and should be angry. I also thought that they had a little too much comedy. It was unfortunate because I thought it had the perfect amount before. Robert had always been the type of character to make people laugh without him even trying. Here it definitely seems to have been forced on the account of the script. There were way to many jokes and punchlines made in this movie that simply prevented me from taking it seriously. which brings me to my final point.

I thought whether or not I liked the direction they headed with this movie, and I realized, this movie was not aiming to be the movie I envisioned it to be. It wasn't aiming to be a completely serious, moving movie. And when I look at the comic book character, it fits effectively. Iron Man is no uber serious superhero. He makes jokes, witty remarks, and gets himself into trouble at times. But at the end of the day, he still manages to save lives, and is only a man in a suit. He's not a god, or a symbol to look up to. He's simply a man, like you or me, who saves people with the brilliant brain he has been gifted with. And as far as delivering that type of movie goes, it succeeds with flying colors. I feel those disappointed wanted a movie more serious, down to earth, and symbolic superhero movie. That may be superman, it may be spiderman, but its not Iron Man. Sorry folks.

Lastly, I must say, this movie had some of the best action i've seen from a comic book movie. The scene he saved the entire plane filled with people was an instant classic, so good. Also, excluding the mandarin, I felt that they did the character justice with this movie. I loved the way they dabbled into how tony stark as a detective would work, and how they brought him to his core elements when they took away all his weapons, trapped him in the middle of nowhere, and asked him to use his brain to get out of tight spots. Like the encounter with the extremis chick, blowing up the building, and the vast amounts of gadgets he was able to build from what seemed like an ace hardware. And using those gadgets to eliminate all the guards surrounding the mansion. All great stuff. Thats what makes tony special, and i'm glad they touched on it. I also LOVE the way they handled J.A.R.V.I.S in this movie! In some ways, he played as a sidekick to Iron Man. Helping tony up from under the ocean by using one of his armor hands, as well as leading the entire charge of Iron Man drones. J.A.R.V.I.S was fantastic in this movie.Oh, and Iron Man's army? AWESOME!

Overall, I think that this movie was successful in the direction they decided to go. Iron Man, as witty and self centered as he is, is only a human. A human who tries to help the world become a safer place. It is safe to say that this movie nailed it on those accounts. It was emotional, funny, sad, happy, and everything in between. It was an entertaining ride, and the best Iron Man of the 3. A fitting conclusion to a great trilogy. Personal Rating, 8.7 out of 10.

#17 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, a friend brought this up, the mandarin could still be somewhere. Think about it. I'm not sure, but the mandarin that was revealed isn't the terrorist who works out of afghanistan or similar places. In this movie, outside of having the name "mandarin" he doesn't seem like the "mandarin" at all. And he brought something up that almost went unnoticed by me, why does amy and killian continue to reference "the master" even when we have already been revealed to know that that isn't him? Right before amy died, she mentions "the master". By that point, we had already been shown that the "mandarin" isn't the head of anything. It makes no sense. Unless the master is someone else entirely. With this information. I believe that he will be brought into the fold in iron man 4. It seems as though the avengers would have 3 movies. Iron man is already done in 2013. Avengers 2 comes out in 2015. Avengers 3 would come out around 2018(?). Leaving an entire 5 year gap between the last time we've seen iron man, and the conclusion of the avengers. I suspect another one before then.

#18 Posted by russellmania77 (14966 posts) - - Show Bio

I was beyond disappointed

#19 Edited by Black_Arrow (2902 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by RustyRoy (11974 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by viin (571 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't disappointed at all. I got to see the marathon, where it went from.
- Iron Man.
- Iron Man 2
- The Avengers
- Iron Man 3.

I had a blast. My friend was let down by the Mandrian twist, but I honestly didn't let it bug me. I seperated comics from the movieverse. I still didn't think it was that bed. It was a twist. People got excited for Mandrian due to the trailers, they got let down. I personally thought it was funny.

I enjoyed Tony in this movie. Some people say "He was out of character", I thought it was funny. With the stress of almost dieing at The Avengers, and realizing he is just pretty much a man in a robo suit.. I thought it was clever. I enjoyed the interactions he had with the kid, but I think some of it was a bit forced. I had some hard laughs when he was in the town though.

I think they highlighted on War Machine SEMI well. Having him job out, in like the third time we see him? Some ol bull shit. Then they highlighted on Rhodes again, so it was all good. I really, REALLY enjoyed how they focused on Tony without the suit. Some people say that's a problem, I like to argue it worked on Tony's character.

As for the suits being made worthless? That whole climax moots that point to me. Infact, I think the movie did a damn good job in making the suits, and Tony pretty equally matched. Again, some people may argue that because it's an Iron Man movie they should focus primarly on IRON MAN, I like to think, why not focus on both.

I thought the threat was pretty well done. A man making imploding superhumans, and then targetting the president. Pretty damn solid. Not much too it, but it was solid. I actually felt for the fake Pepper death. Reasoning: With the twists in the movie that already happened, and how so many people were probably thinking "Oh, a suit will fly out and have her on it.", I was shocked. They pretty much left it there too.

Now, for the negatives.

About Pepper's death.. I wanted Tony to have more of a reaction. Not a cliche "NOOOOOOOOO", but something. I don't remember there being a emotional moment at that part. Maybe it's because of all the climax surronding it, I have no idea. Even after the fact when she comes back, I felt Tony should've been more surprised.

There's also the plot. When I said the villain was solid, I meant it was pretty clear. He wanted to target the president. Okay. However, I felt it lacked the reason "Why?". They answered why the fake mandrian was in place, but why target only the president? I didn't understand that part. I got why they wanted to use the War Machine suit, I still have no idea why he was so damn focused on the president.

My biggest beef? THAT DAMN ENDING. Holy shit, I cringed at that. Was it really needed? Maybe I'm being hypocritical, saying how I appreciate how they try to seperate Tony from the suit before, but that ending pissed me off. After all of those suits were JUST SHOWN. Bam. Gone.

You kidding me?

Overall: I really loved it. I'd gladly see it again. I think it did fine. Critics will be critics. I give it an 8/10. You want a fun time, go in there with low expectations. They let them surprise you, take it for what you will.