Iron Man 3: Comic-Book References

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Veshark

So here are just a few comic-book references I can think of (or have heard mentioned) from Iron Man 3

• Extremis, obviously
  • Shoutout to Roxxon, previously referenced to in the Coulson short and Avengers as well, I believe
  • Killian having dragon tattoos and Mandarin having dragon pants as a reference to Fin Fang Foom
  • Ten Rings, naturally
  • Killian's firm is named AIM
  • The Igor armor is Hulkbuster-esque, and some of the other armors seem inspired by his comic looks (e.g. Silver Centurion)
  • The kid suggesting to Tony to build a stealth armor; he also suggests retro-reflective panels - which were mentioned as the cloaking for the Helicarrier
  • Tony using an improvised repulsor has been done in Ultimate Armor Wars and World's Most Wanted
  • The way the Extremis enhanciles explode could be a reference to The Five Nightmares
  • The armor switcheroo (with the President in the Iron Patriot) has been used before, World's Most Wanted comes to mind
  • The armor being able to be controlled remotely is a reference to the Telepresence armor, and is possibly inspired by other instances (e.g. Ultimates)
  • Man-Thing's wife is one of the enhanciles, and the plant burning is a reference to Man-Thing
  • President Ellis is an obvious reference to Warren Ellis, writer of Extremis

Did you guys catch anything else?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people say there was an AIM reference, though i can't seem to remember it as i watched the movie in russian.

Oh right, Killian founded a think-tank called AIM, I forgot about that one. I'll add it to the list.

Are you Russian (or Ukraine, Kazakhstan etc), out of curiosity?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull

Oh haha cool, I was just wondering. Wow yeah, that must be irritating. Here in Malaysia - they put the local languages as subtitles but leave the voices undubbed.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull

Haha, I would totally lose my nuts if they tried dubbing it here. I feel sorry for you now xD

Avatar image for adamthesubmariner
AdamtheSubmariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By AdamtheSubmariner

The whole Man-Thing shoutout

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@veshark: Silver Centurion was one of the armors. Igor isn't anything close to Hulkbuster-tier, though. Igor's just for heavy lifting, not heavy combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Veshark

@veshark: Silver Centurion was one of the armors. Igor isn't anything close to Hulkbuster-tier, though. Igor's just for heavy lifting, not heavy combat.

Oh, right. I know Igor's not exactly the Hulkbuster - but it looks pretty close in terms of physical appearance.

@adamthesubmariner: I missed that, what happened there?

Oh yeah I read about this...something about Man-Thing's wife, as I recall. Can't remember the reference though.

Avatar image for adamthesubmariner
AdamtheSubmariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guttridgeb: The woman with red hair who was a mutant was man things wife, you know the whole burned thing. Also they made Maya a botanist, for no apparent reason, and the plant exploded with fire, which could be a real life version of Man-Thing's powers. It required foreknowledge i think to look for it hahaha.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Veshark

@adamthesubmariner

Ah wow. Yeah, I'd definitely go for a horror-ish Man-Thing movie. I'll add it to the list.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They referenced The Super Friends.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They referenced The Super Friends.

Ehh that's more of a throwaway line, not an actual reference to Marvel comic continuity.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony crying and dancing like Peter did in Spider-Man 3 :p Yeah I did it wrong, I know,sorry, that movie just made me....ughh

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The kid gave tony the idea of a stealth armor.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#20  Edited By BlueLantern1995
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Yeah. There was a close-up to show that his back had advanced pistons to lift the huge load.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@veshark said:

• The armor being able to be controlled remotely is a reference to the Telepresence armor, and is possibly inspired by other instances (e.g. Ultimates)

This has been done by many of Tony's suits, including the Extremis.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The kid gave tony the idea of a stealth armor.

Hmm, yeah, I guess that would count. He also referred to the retro-reflection panels that were used on the SHIELD Helicarrier, if memory serves.

@jedixman said:

@veshark said:

This has been done by many of Tony's suits, including the Extremis.

Has that been done prior to the Telepresence armor before? I'm not saying the new suit is a direct reference, but that it's capability to be operated remotely is a concept that originating with the Telepresence armor, I believe.

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Opening Intro Song "Blue by Eiffel 65" might be referencing the Kree for Guardians of the Galaxy imo.

Peeps from Marvel Studios stated that there would be a lot of references that people wouldn't get at first until later films. I think this is one of them.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Opening Intro Song "Blue by Eiffel 65" might be referencing the Kree for Guardians of the Galaxy imo.

That is absolutely ridiculous. I refuse to believe you actually think this.

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sufferthorn

@havenless:

Refuse whatever you want I guess?

Anyway, could be totally wrong. But at this point would it really be so unrealistic to put it past Marvel for such a subtle hint? With Guardians of the Galaxy coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if we got to see the Kree Empire.

Plus, it might be an opportunity for villains such as Ronan the Accuser, or a hero like Captain Marvel.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jorgevy

@sufferthorn: may I ask what that song has to do with the Kree? I love that song but I dont see the conection

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sufferthorn

@jorgevy:

"I'm Blue" is the title of the song. You can do this. Treat it like a puzzle game.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

@veshark: Thanks for this. I've only read the first two volumes of Essential Iron Man so I was flying blind with comic references from the movie besides the obvious Extremis one.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queso6p4 said:

@veshark: Thanks for this. I've only read the first two volumes of Essential Iron Man so I was flying blind with comic references from the movie besides the obvious Extremis one.

No problem, glad you liked it. I can't take all the credit for it though - other Viners contributed, and some online research on my part uncovered things I'd missed out ;)

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

@veshark: Well thanks to all involved. :-)

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorgevy:

"I'm Blue" is the title of the song. You can do this. Treat it like a puzzle game.

wait, are all kree necessarily blue? Im not good with colours

the song does talk about a blue world with blue people, but I think that's more of an emotional blue than a pictorial blue.

now that im imagining a Kree army invading to the sound of that song Im kinda terrified by the thought

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers