Introducing myself and maybe get some recommendations?

dvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dvader

Hi. Just wanted to introduce myself here because I'm new. In fact, I'm re-entering my love for comics after a 10 year hiatus. After watching Kick-Ass, the movie, I started to get back into comic book reading. I knew I wanted to read Kick-Ass, the comic, but after that I wasn't sure what else I could read?

So what do I do? I walk into a comic book store and ask about what people are reading now a days. They recommended me the Walking Dead series. I purchase and read up to issue 84 and find it to be really good. Don't know if it's anything groundbreaking for me, but it is still a great series which I plan to continue following.

The comic book store also recommended the new 52 and after some research decided to get the Batman and Wonder Woman Volume 1 Hardcovers.

***Please don't spoil anything for me because I haven't had the chance to read any of the DC books yet.***

However, I do find my interest in Batman and WW new and maybe unusual. This is because 10 years ago, I was a Marvel-exclusive guy. But after years of not following the series found it hard to even know where to start? DC's New 52s appeared to be more accessible to me, a new/returning reader.

I still want to get into Marvel comics because I'm a big fan of Spiderman, Wolverine, and Iron Man but I feel out of the loop. Unfortunately, the Ultimate series don't seem too accessible to me and I sorta wished that Marvel did a reboot. (I'm sure not everyone here would like that.) Perhaps, you guys have some recommendations. What about the Avengers vs. X-Men series?

I've also looked into getting the new TMNT comic series and even getting their color classics in addition to Transformers and GI Joe. I don't know if they are any good though.

Whenever possible, I will usually get collected volumes rather individual issues. I hope AvX comes out with a hardcover collected volume of all their stories.

Thanks and looking forward to making more contributions once I catch up to the rest of you.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

If you want some good comics to read, I can assist. But if you want currently running comics... I'm not really "out of the loop" but I haven't bought a comic in quite some time.

The Ultimates is great. Ultimates after Ultimatum... I don't know. I haven't read those. But Ultimates 1 and 2 are fantastic, Ultimate X-Men was good, Ultimate Spider-Man - based on what I've read of it - was not bad, and Ultimate Fantastic Four was pretty good. Keep in mind that these are all the pre-2008 (when Ultimatum came out), not the newer comics.

I didn't like Kick Ass, but if you did, you might like some of Mark Millar's other works: (he wrote Ultimates 1 and 2, by the way. As well as some of Ultimate X-Men)

Wanted

Superman: Red Son

Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Honestly, the only story by Millar that I didn't like was Kick Ass... though I haven't read everything by him and he's not my all time favorite (that'd be Grant Morrison).

Also, yeah, I wish Marvel did have a reboot. It's terrible right now; the only good book is Uncanny X-Force.

SyIar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SyIar

@dvader said:

Hi. Just wanted to introduce myself here because I'm new. In fact, I'm re-entering my love for comics after a 10 year hiatus. After watching Kick-Ass, the movie, I started to get back into comic book reading. I knew I wanted to read Kick-Ass, the comic, but after that I wasn't sure what else I could read?

So what do I do? I walk into a comic book store and ask about what people are reading now a days. They recommended me the Walking Dead series. I purchase and read up to issue 84 and find it to be really good. Don't know if it's anything groundbreaking for me, but it is still a great series which I plan to continue following.

The comic book store also recommended the new 52 and after some research decided to get the Batman and Wonder Woman Volume 1 Hardcovers.

***Please don't spoil anything for me because I haven't had the chance to read any of the DC books yet.***

However, I do find my interest in Batman and WW new and maybe unusual. This is because 10 years ago, I was a Marvel-exclusive guy. But after years of not following the series found it hard to even know where to start? DC's New 52s appeared to be more accessible to me, a new/returning reader.

I still want to get into Marvel comics because I'm a big fan of Spiderman, Wolverine, and Iron Man but I feel out of the loop. Unfortunately, the Ultimate series don't seem too accessible to me and I sorta wished that Marvel did a reboot. (I'm sure not everyone here would like that.) Perhaps, you guys have some recommendations. What about the Avengers vs. X-Men series?

I've also looked into getting the new TMNT comic series and even getting their color classics in addition to Transformers and GI Joe. I don't know if they are any good though.

Whenever possible, I will usually get collected volumes rather individual issues. I hope AvX comes out with a hardcover collected volume of all their stories.

Thanks and looking forward to making more contributions once I catch up to the rest of you.

Welcome to Comicvine.

If you were looking for apocalyptic horror like The Walking Dead and have a strong stomach and open mind (the second is a must), I recommend CROSSED.

For a more realistic approach in comics like Kick-Ass, I would suggest WANTED or Y:The Last Man.

If you like Marvel and wish to jump into the X-Men, I would suggest starting after Schism, which recently (a couple of months ago) restarted it's numbering at zero, so it's probably not too hard to start there. As far as Crossovers and Events, I suggest to start with Civil War for Marvel and Flashpoint for DC, which is the event that explains the DC relaunch. If you enjoy Batman, and would like to know where to start or what might suit your interests I would be more than happy to provide a link to a large Bat-Family database that was made here on the Vine. If you just want to browse until something catches your eye, I suggest you type your favorite comic book heroes/villains in the search bar. Hope I helped.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By SoA

i was into marvel when i was a kid , stopped when i was 11 and didnt picked it up again after HS, then i was introduced to DC with the green lantern corp from there i looked into the indie comics , and there is alot of stories i like even more than marvel and DC .if u like the walking dead check out invincible it is also written by robert kirkman . its more of a comedy take on the world of superheroes but it has its fair share of action also welcome back into comics !

dvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dvader

@SyIar said:

@dvader said:

Welcome to Comicvine.

If you enjoy Batman, and would like to know where to start or what might suit your interests I would be more than happy to provide a link to a large Bat-Family database that was made here on the Vine.

I would love to know about this Bat-Family database. Please let me enter this sacred place =)

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

I highly recommend Invincible, and judging by your interest in Kick-Ass and The Walking Dead, I think you may like it. If you haven't read them yet, then Kick-Ass 2 and the new Hit-Girl series are a given. The IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and G.I. Joe series are both great reads.

dvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dvader

@SoA said:

i was into marvel when i was a kid , stopped when i was 11 and didnt picked it up again after HS, then i was introduced to DC with the green lantern corp from there i looked into the indie comics , and there is alot of stories i like even more than marvel and DC .if u like the walking dead check out invincible it is also written by robert kirkman . its more of a comedy take on the world of superheroes but it has its fair share of action also welcome back into comics !

Yes. I heard of invincible and some of the other recommendations such as wanted, y: the last man standing, and marvel's civil war. However, I never heard of Crossed, but just after looking it up, I'll have to think about it for now =)

SyIar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SyIar

@dvader said:

@SyIar said:

@dvader said:

Welcome to Comicvine.

If you enjoy Batman, and would like to know where to start or what might suit your interests I would be more than happy to provide a link to a large Bat-Family database that was made here on the Vine.

I would love to know about this Bat-Family database. Please let me enter this sacred place =)

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/comic-vines-top-100-batman-universe-stories/661534/#337

Yeah, no problem. Enjoy.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By SoA

@dvader: Y the last man was good , it was the first comic i read on my comp thanks to a friend of mine. crossed is not for the squeamish but then again u liked walking dead so u can check that out as well

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Loki9876

For Iron man i recommen invincible Iron Man by fraction starting with the five nightmares arc however there are allready like 9 trades so maybe you should by the omnibus if you have enough money.

Animal man by lemire is great, it is good that you bought Batman. Journey into mystery is also great that are some of the top of my head.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By RainEffect
@dvader: Welcome, mate! I hope you enjoy your stay!

I'm not much of a DC nut-head, I mean, I love Batman a ridiculous amount, but I don't really venture outside of the Gotham mythos. With that being said, they recently released a hardcover compilation of Scott Snyder's first five issues of Batman, which is absolutely phenomenal. It's dark, it's gritty and it's hell exciting. 

As far as Marvel is concerned, Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is where you want to start. Ignore what people may say about him, he knows how to write Tony Stark. I wouldn't buy the current stuff, as it is NOT a good jumping on point - there's a WHOLE lot going on. Loki9876 above me recommended the Five Nightmares arc - I too fully back that. I, personally, jumped on there as well. It is in hardcover compilation, or you can do what I did and buy an Omnibus (basically a BIG hardcover that usually contains two large story arcs); I fully recommend that. I only paid about $56 Australia dollars for that.

If you need anymore help, shoot me a PM!
_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By _Zombie_

The Punisher MAX. Volumes 1-10. A strong stomach may be required for some portions.

dvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dvader

@RainEffect: @RainEffect said:

As far as Marvel is concerned, Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is where you want to start. Ignore what people may say about him, he knows how to write Tony Stark. I wouldn't buy the current stuff, as it is NOT a good jumping on point - there's a WHOLE lot going on. Loki9876 above me recommended the Five Nightmares arc - I too fully back that. I, personally, jumped on there as well. It is in hardcover compilation, or you can do what I did and buy an Omnibus (basically a BIG hardcover that usually contains two large story arcs); I fully recommend that. I only paid about $56 Australia dollars for that. If you need anymore help, shoot me a PM!

Would you recommend this over the AvX series? I desire good...no let me say great writing over anything else. Don't know much about AxV except that it looks really cool, but I did hear mixed things about the story.

By the way, are you referring to this omnibus?

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Iron-Man-1-HC/dp/0785142959

dvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dvader

@SyIar said:

@dvader said:

@SyIar said:

@dvader said:

Welcome to Comicvine.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/comic-vines-top-100-batman-universe-stories/661534/#337

Yeah, no problem. Enjoy.

Thank you. Wish they had something like this for Spiderman...my fav Marvel character.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By RainEffect
@dvader said:

@RainEffect: @RainEffect said:

As far as Marvel is concerned, Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is where you want to start. Ignore what people may say about him, he knows how to write Tony Stark. I wouldn't buy the current stuff, as it is NOT a good jumping on point - there's a WHOLE lot going on. Loki9876 above me recommended the Five Nightmares arc - I too fully back that. I, personally, jumped on there as well. It is in hardcover compilation, or you can do what I did and buy an Omnibus (basically a BIG hardcover that usually contains two large story arcs); I fully recommend that. I only paid about $56 Australia dollars for that. If you need anymore help, shoot me a PM!

Would you recommend this over the AvX series? I desire good...no let me say great writing over anything else. Don't know much about AxV except that it looks really cool, but I did hear mixed things about the story.

By the way, are you referring to this omnibus?

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Iron-Man-1-HC/dp/0785142959

Absolutely. I cannot even stress how much better Iron Man is over AvX. I mean, AvX is a great concept, but Marvel's events have been really lackluster since the days of Dark Reign. Plus, the continuity of it doesn't fall into line with some of the single series'. Because it has so many writers, it really just jumps up and down. One moment you'll have someone like Aaron writing it, then Bendis will write it and it just fails. 

That's the omnibus I was talking about. It's a brilliant read. You basically get to watch Stark coming to terms with the fact that he's built the next 'nuclear bomb' and what happens when it falls in the wrong hands. I won't spoil it, but if you love Iron Man, you'll love it. Also, Fraction said he took a lot of inspiration from Robert Downey Jr. when writing Tony, so you'll see the resemblance.
knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#16  Edited By knighthood

@dvader: I would warn you to stay away from AvX if you are looking for good writing. Honestly, I really do not like anything from Marvel at the moment. I also second the nominations for Animal Man and Y the Last Man. I haven't read the latest issue, but there is a good buzz about Batman the Dark Knight's newest writer that just started with issue 10.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#17  Edited By The Poet  Moderator