(input wanted) crafting a comic

Vata_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm planning a coming to be get kick started, and I wanted some input from some readers about the characters

It's a 50% superhero & 50% slice-of-life, with it focusing on a cast of 2 older teenager boys (they'd be in 11th or 12th)

I want to make the 2 leads gay (it's planned) 1 is a bit more open, while the other slowly admits to liking the other (it's a build up, since this one has dated women, and has never shown interest in men)

As is, I'm already planning to make them far from the gay stereo-type (where they act flamboyant and very girly), I just want to craft "normal" people

I wanted to know, what would make it less awkward for you (the reader) to read a comic with a homosexual relationship as a main focus point? Keeping in mind, I already have no plans to show sex, maybe imply it, and not over-do it on the more "cute" stuff

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think doing as you described it is probably the best way to handle it. Make it as naturalistic as possible. I would say let it be an element of the book and an open one but perhaps not the constant focus of the plot (there can of course be sub-plots where it crescendos more into the spotlight), but that's just my opinion. I would also say focus more on the relationship part than the homosexual part. Not that it should be ambiguous that they're gay but that it should just be a given and the growth and development of the relationship, the same as a heterosexual pairing might get, should be what's focused on. The audience will know the leads are gay, they won't need repeated painstaking reminders.

Anywho, that's my two cents. I hope it helps. Best of luck.

Vata_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, when I KickStart the project, I would tell people the direction of the character development (the homosexuality that's planned). But I feel it's not something that should be shoved in your face, because someone might find the plot & characters interesting, but you don't want to ruin that by making it awkward for them...if that makes since

If I had to compare my project to a series along on the market, would be close to Young Avengers and Teen Titans. In fact, I like how they wrote Wiccan & Hulkings relationship

I think doing as you described it is probably the best way to handle it. Make it as naturalistic as possible. I would say let it be an element of the book and an open one but perhaps not the constant focus of the plot (there can of course be sub-plots where it crescendos more into the spotlight), but that's just my opinion. I would also say focus more on the relationship part than the homosexual part. Not that it should be ambiguous that they're gay but that it should just be a given and the growth and development of the relationship, the same as a heterosexual pairing might get, should be what's focused on. The audience will know the leads are gay, they won't need repeated painstaking reminders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

If you're having trouble with crafting try levelling up a few times and adventuring in new areas to get the necessary materials.

(That's probably the stupidest joke I've ever made).

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gays and gay sex don't bother me in the slightest. Just write the story in a way that you would want to read it.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@vata_raven: This sounds like it could be quite interesting, hope you'll be keeping us up to date as the project progresses :)

@squares said:

If you're having trouble with crafting try levelling up a few times and adventuring in new areas to get the necessary materials.

(That's probably the stupidest joke I've ever made).

I giggled :D

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By deadcool_XD

@vata_raven:

If you are going to create a gay characters, do as you said and don't make them stereotypes.

Vata_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

@vata_raven: This sounds like it could be quite interesting, hope you'll be keeping us up to date as the project progresses :)

I hope so. I plan to do stories in arcs, so you can read each on their own, but character progress would move along with each arc. I came up with the idea because I'm a fan of Japanese boy-love (not the 1-shot, instant love BS), and I read some American comics. I got into X-factor because of Rictor and Shatterstar, and Young Avengers for Wiccan and Hulking, but I was annoyed that they seem to shove them into the background (not so much with Young Avengers). I know the writers don't do it on purpose, but that's the issue when you have a comic with larger casts, they do a character rotation and each issue can focus on a different member of the team.

So, I started to think of ways to fix that, and the simple thing was this, just make a comic that focuses on 2 characters and not a large cast. And maybe add a few more along the way (which I am doing, I think the total will be 5; 3 guys and 2 women, with the women being a lesbian couple), but make sure I don't stray from main 2 characters

@vata_raven:

If you are going to create a gay characters, do as you said and don't make them stereotypes.

In general, stereotypes annoy me. Fire Emblem from Tiger & Bunny, while I like him as a characters (he's not my favorite), they could've toned down

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have a feeling Midnighter and Apollo would be a good source to take inspiration from but then I haven't read anything on them, just a hunch.

Vata_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling Midnighter and Apollo would be a good source to take inspiration from but then I haven't read anything on them, just a hunch.

thanks, I'll look into them. Will check what comic series those two have a big part in