#1 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

For starters I'm not talking about kill-ability, just growing old. The term immortal in comics and other media seems to be tossed around a fair amount, about characters that clearly seem to be getting old. So can you help me understand if this is just an improper term, and who is really immortal? Highlander, or one of their ilk, once they have their first human death, that's it they never age. Die at 20, you look 20 forever. I think the same goes for marvel's externals. But the other immortals, in general the gods, seem nothing of the kind. Zeus, Odin, Highfather. They all have gone grey, definitely don't seem to be young men. That doesn't seem like immortality at all, just really long life. Am I wrong? I hate to see what that longevity is like at the end" 1000 years of being like a 90 year old? A walker, depends and forgetfulness? Also, same deal for Wolverine. They toss around immortal these days, but in Old man logan he's gone grey, so he's aging too.

Does anyone else have the good kind of immortality, not the bogus stuff where you get old?

#2 Edited by Wolverine08 (41179 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Wolverine isn't immortal, he just ages VERY slowly due to his healing factor. The only people in comics that I can think of that are truly immortal are Hercules, Superman, Lobo, and Wonder Woman. Those are just heroes. I know their are some immortal villains like Thanos, Darkseid, etc.

#3 Edited by i_like_swords (14003 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there is a difference between "immoral" and "unkillable."Being truly immortal just means you can't be killed and will live forever no matter what, because that's just how it is. You could say Wolverine for example is unkillable because of his healing factor (I know he is killable, but let's just say his healing factor is infinite).

And isn't longevity just living longer than a normal human would, but you can still be killed?

#4 Posted by New_World_Order (13050 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Wolverine isn't immortal, he just ages VERY slowly due to his healing factor. The only people in comics that I can think of that are truly immortal are Hercules, Superman, Lobo, and Wonder Woman. Those are just heroes. I know their are some immortal villains like Thanos, Darkseid, etc.

Hercules, Superman, and Wonder Woman are not immortal. Only Lobo is.

#5 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I thought the same about wolverine for the longest time, but I've noticed a few comments here and there, from himself that he'll never die. Just tossing on the pile of overpowering him. Like in that issue where he's carrying a piano up a cliff for dead nightcrawler, he says he'll be the same when these mountains have turned to dust. So I'm suspicious

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

The Marvel Olympians have the good kind of immortality; the kind where you stop aging upon reaching the peak of your physical abilities and stay physically youthful forever and ever.

#7 Edited by Wolverine08 (41179 posts) - - Show Bio

@thundergodswrath:

Hercules is immortal. All members of his race in Marvel (Olympians) are immortal. They are immune to the affects of aging, but they can killed through physical trauma.

#8 Edited by Wolverine08 (41179 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

When Wolverine says " He'll be the same when the mountains turn to dust" he means he will live a VERY long time, and have to suffer as he watches friends and family die around him while he remains young for a long time.

#9 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah 08, maybe I'm being too literal. Just seriously dont' want him to get anymore powerups

@thundergodswrath:

Hercules is immortal. All members of his race in Marvel (Olympians) are immortal. They are immune to the affects of aging, but they can killed through physical trauma.

Ah I see in marvel he still looks young-ish. I was actually thinking movies - zeus wise. So perhaps marvel olympians are real immortal. That's somewhat less depressing :)

#10 Posted by New_World_Order (13050 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: which means they're are not truely immortal, lol.

#11 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there is a difference between "immoral" and "unkillable."Being truly immortal just means you can't be killed and will live forever no matter what, because that's just how it is. You could say Wolverine for example is unkillable because of his healing factor (I know he is killable, but let's just say his healing factor is infinite).

And isn't longevity just living longer than a normal human would, but you can still be killed?

True, I'm just interested in aging for this thread, not if they are killable or not.

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (41179 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

Yea, the only other heroes in Marvel who I know are immortal (as in staying young forever, but being killable through physical harm) are Juggernaut and Vision. Also, I agree with you about Wolverine not getting anymore powerups, but in comparison to other characters such as Deadpool, Logan's healing factor is just normal. Deadpool can have his head cut off and still live and control his body if isn't connected to it, and grow back limbs, while Logan can't.

#13 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7833 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither. Both longevity and immortality would lead to a torturous existence. Sure, it would be fun for a little bit, but eventually you'll outlive everyone you care about, and then you'll be afraid to connect with anyone else. You'd be alone forever...

#14 Posted by Immortal777 (7361 posts) - - Show Bio

The only true Immortal I can think of is the Phantom Stranger everyone else are just pretenders.