Image Universe

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jorgevy

After the fusion of WildStorm characters into New 52 DC universe, I started wondering about the smaller companies that make super hero comics. I decided that maybe I should take a look and check out, to see if there's some stuff I like in there, so I dont get stuck only on DC and Marvel.

I heard good things about Image and some characters look cool, or atleast interesting, but the problem is, is there a shared universe? Like Marvel and DC? Because if there isn't that would probably draw me away from it really hard. So I want to ask people who read Image, if the series and characters there are from the same universe and aware of each other and exist in each others series (kinda like the Big Two, you know what I mean)

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CainPanell

I Think so, But the continuity (IMO) Is pretty bad.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By feebadger

@Jorgevy: Yeah, not really a shared universe as such. There have been crossovers between titles, mainly in the earlier stages. I mean, Spawns' original origin featured Chapel from Rob Liefelds' Youngblood as the man who murdered him, so there was definite crossover there. There seems to be very tittle of it after those initial years though as all the companies within Image (like Top Cow, Shadowline, Extreme, Highbrow to name a few) seem to not really want to share outside of their own imprints. From what i understand, all the characters printed under Image are creator owned which, i would imagine, makes the legality of crossovers complicated to arrange between independent parties.

So, if you were going to read Image for a sense of a shared universe or continuity, i would probably recommend that you focus on the titles printed by the companies within Image. Top Cow is a good place to start. They publish Witchblade, The Darkness, Tomb Raider and have been known to have crossover within their characters.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By texasdeathmatch

You should probably just read Invincible.

Just sayin'.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By the_tree

@texasdeathmatch said:

You should probably just read Invincible. Just sayin'.

Agreed. Robert Kirkman sort of uses his own brand of continuity, appropriately dubbed the "Kirkmanverse" where several Image characters are in a shared universe. And Invincible is easily the best comic book on the shelves.

For Image, characters will sometimes crossover, but a lot of the time, it's only continuity for the series the crossover appeared in. Top Cow under the Image umbrella is also fairly good with their own continuity.