Image Comics Recommendations and Thoughts Part 1

d_bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By d_bones

So I pretty much want to say that this may be a bit meandering and too long for some people to read up front. As someone who has looked to this community before for advice on what to read and comics I might like given my taste I thought I would return the favour (even though I haven't been asked lol). I also really wanted to give a personal shout out to the publisher who really helped take me from occasionally reading comics on a month to month basis (as I am a trade reader) to pretty much being able to wander into my local comic book store and finding something fantastic to read. Over the past year, year and half I have picked up quite a few series from Image and thought I would share my thoughts on them. The majority are easily recommendable but I will note I am not up to date on all of them. So here goes.....

Chew

No Caption Provided

Oh Chew. How I love thee. This was one of my first forays into Image (maybe only beaten by the Walking Dead) and it is still normally my first recommendation when people ask what's good by Image? It is also for some reason the hardest to get people into. (I have given one of my CB friends maybe 5 recommendations from Image and he has listened to me and loved them all with the exception of Chew). Anyway the basic idea behind it is it is about a world where people have eating super powers (stay with me) and the main character is a detective who can tell the past of any object by eating it. This leaves Tony (the protagonist) in many hilarious situations often skirting the line between good and bad taste (I had to toss a pun in there somewhere sorry). The art at first turned me off but it is super colourful and great at expressing the comedic situations that come up inherently in this bizarre and fantastic world. If you have not read or heard or seen this comic before please search it out. It deserves a read. My biggest regret being I started with the Omnivore Editions which while they are an amazing package means I have to wait about a year for each one to be released grrr. Oh and for fans POOOOOOOOYYYYOOOO!!

C.O.W.L.

No Caption Provided

This is one of my new pick ups from Image. It only has one trade out so far so this will be thoughts on that first piece of the story. Comic Vine helped me decide to give this a shot through reviews and user recommendations and I'll say for the most part I was happy with the first piece of the story. Like most people with a basic awareness of comics C.O.W.L. did feel a little familiar treading some of the same ground as Alan Moore's Watchmen. With a cast of flawed superheroes (or costumed adventurers) a corrupt society and the idea of a more government influenced/controlled team of heroes I was a little skeptical of this comic bringing anything new to the table. While it is hard to pass full judgement when the trade only 5 or 6 issues I will say that C.O.W.L. is going enough in it's own direction so far to be interesting in it's own right. I like that the early adopters of heroics had their start in WWII and my particular favourite idea that was presented in the book was the struggle with family these characters have. Particularly I believe it is Grant who is known to be a particularly good shot and doesn't wear a costume or have an alter ego and his son says to him "you're just a guy, it's embarrassing" or something along those lines. What I'm saying is I like some of the ideas presented so far but there is not enough to give a whole hearted recommendation just yet. I would say if you looking for one book from Image to pick up look at the rest of this list first.

East of West

No Caption Provided

East of West is amazing. I thought I would just put that up front. As a huge advocate for anything to do with immersive world building and alternate histories East of West was always going to be a hit with me. When I first picked it up though I thought it was going to be a bit simplistic. I mean the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are cool but what would this comic do to set itself apart from say The Darksiders video game series or the horsemen in Supernatural? Well Hickman did it. He created a comic with so much to learn and see that at first you are caught off guard and it can be a little intimidating. Now that there are 3 trades out I can say I get the basics and they so good I am eagerly anticipating learning more. Not only about the main through line about Death and his search for his son (which is interesting in it's own right) but about this alternate America with it's different territories, politics and people. Don't let the start scare you off if you stick with East of West it will reward you with it's beautiful art, fantastic characters and amazing world. This is probably in my top 3 (maybe top 5) Image list as of right now. So go pick it up and give it a shot.

Elephantmen

No Caption Provided

I will be up front and say that with Elephantment I have only read the first 2 trades of this series which has been going on for a LONG time (I think they are up to issue like 150). Which I find sort of strange because in all of the Image discussions I have had with people online there are few mentions of this book which makes me ask who is reading this to make them go for so many issues? Not that I am saying it doesn't deserve it. I will say there are a few things unrelated to story and art which have prevented me from wanting to delve deeper into Elephantmen. In particular the quality of the trades themselves. Elephantmen has a really interesting and almost painting like art style which is eye catching. The trades are big thick tomes with heavy paper which would be great, however, the glue comes apart incredibly easily (I take care of my books as a side note not putting them through unnecessary wear and tear) and pages have literally fallen into my lap while I am trying to read. This is my main reason for not reading more which is unfortunate because I really like the ideas presented in Elephantment with it's strange mix of noir and sci fi elements. I like how the Elephantmen are haunted by their pasts as super soldiers and have to live with the day to day knowledge that they have killed hundreds of people. This helps to humanize these hybrid creatures. I will say that the noir element of trying to "titillate" the reader with scantily clad ladies is more distracting then anything else. Overall Elephantmen is sort of on the lower scale of my Image list.

Alright guys that is it for today. If people like this I will probably make part 2 and 3 as I am reading 12 series by Image right now (lol I can't stop). Please feel free to post questions in the comments if you have anything you wanted to ask me about these series. Oh and just so you guys have an idea here is the format I am thinking part 2 and 3 would take. Part 2: Five Ghosts, Lazarus, Manifest Destiny and Nailbiter. Part 3: Saga, Sex Criminals, Walking Dead and The Wicked and the Divine. I might also make one with my thoughts on the series I might read next. If you managed to get through all this rambling thanks for reading!!

d_Bones

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

DEADLY CLASS.

~MiB

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Great post. I enjoyed reading your take and opinion on these titles and hope you continue with parts two and three.

Of these, I'm actually reading Chew right now in trades. Currently about half way through the second Omnivore hardcover and loving the series. I read the first two issues of COWL and dropped it, it just didn't grab me enough to make my monthly budget cut, might give it another chance in trades at some point. I haven't read any of Elephantmen so can't comment. East of West is one of the few series I trade wait for. It's much easier for me to absorb anything Hickman writes in larger chunks. Having said that, I love the series and it's gotten difficult to wait for the trades. Now that the Great Beast is free and the Nations are going to war, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Other series I'll recommend that you don't currently have listed, Southern Bastards, Velvet, Birthright, Deadly Class, and Black Science.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

skip East of West and Read Velvet, Saga and/or Invincible.

d_bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

oh crap totally forgot about Deadly Class! I have read that and will include that in Part 2 if I write it.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This has been VERY enjoyable to read. I hope you do more. It's great seeing some Image love on here.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By silent_bomber

This was pretty cool, I'll probably check out Chew eventually, I've liked most of the Image Comics I've experienced.

I'd do one of these myself for Rebellion/2000AD but it would take hours and on CV would most likely get few or no replies.