#1 Edited by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody would help me get started in reading about the following characters. Thanks a lot if you can help me.

• Thanos
  • Silver Surfer
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (especially Adam Warlock and Rocket Raccoon)
  • Nova
  • Spectre
  • Paralax
  • Phantom Stranger
  • Darkseid

I know next to nothing about these characters, and I'd really like to learn more. I'd prefer more recent appearances of the characters (like post 2000), but if the story is that good, I'll give it a chance... Just as long as it's not one of those stories that have the characters say exactly what they're doing, as they're doing it. If you know what I mean, lol.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate the help.

#2 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

For Thanos read the infinity gauntlet.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else?

#4 Posted by Cap10nate (2722 posts) - - Show Bio

Annihalation would be a good start for the Marvel stories. There is a tie in series for most of the characters that you listed. Also, there is the Guardians of the Galaxy run that takes place right after the Annihilation wave. It is from 2008 and written by Clint Langley.

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: Could I jump into Annihalation fresh without knowing anything about any of those guys?

#6 Posted by Owie (3944 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, Annihilation and the Infinity Gauntlet are good places to start for Thanos/Surfer/Guardians/Nova.

#7 Posted by Cap10nate (2722 posts) - - Show Bio

Annihiliation was my first experience with basically all of those characters with the exception of Surfer. I think you should be fine. If I am not mistaken, they do a decent job of showing some background. I think I may have had to look up a few peoples character history online but that was just to provide some context and additional info.

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, so Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation it is. So what about the DC side?

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody knows anything else? :/

#10 Posted by Illuminatus (9489 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Nobody knows anything else? :/

For Silver Surfer, I recommend getting Silver Surfer: Requiem. It is arguably the greatest Norrin Radd tale ever told, and is tragically epic in scope.

For Thanos, you can't go wrong with all the stories involving him and the Infinity Gauntlet. Also, dig into all of the Cosmic Marvel events, particularly The Thanos Imperative.

For Nova, Annihilation is great for the character. Dan Abnett is spectacular at writing the character, and I recommend picking up his Annihilation tie-in.

For GotG, you can pick up their revamped series, which ties in with certain Cosmic Marvel events. You can also pick up trades and issues that deal with the oldschool roster.

Parallax shows up in numerous GL stories, as the entity often plays a large part in the mythos. CitizenBane and Morph might be able to help out there.

Spectre has several minis and series that you can Amazon. Again, CitizenBane would probably be able to give you further insight.

Not really big on Phantom Stranger, except for the random appearances he makes in other characters' stories.

As for Darkseid, I'm not really sure where you'd want to start. There are plenty of arcs and events that revolve around him.

#11 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

For Parallax I think you should read Parallax veiw ( I think it's called that ) and Sinestro corps war.

#12 Posted by Illuminatus (9489 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think you can help Gambit out here with the DC stuff?

#13 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody would help me get started in reading about the following characters. Thanks a lot if you can help me.

• Thanos
  • Silver Surfer
  • Nova
  • Spectre
  • Paralax
  • Phantom Stranger
  • Darkseid

I know next to nothing about these characters, and I'd really like to learn more. I'd prefer more recent appearances of the characters (like post 2000), but if the story is that good, I'll give it a chance... Just as long as it's not one of those stories that have the characters say exactly what they're doing, as they're doing it. If you know what I mean, lol.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate the help.

For Thanos/Guardians/Nova I'd say this

Skip Thanos' 12 issue series and go straight into Anihilation -> Anihilation Conquest -> The specific ongoing series (Nova/GotG) as well as Infinity Gauntlet for Thanos.

For Parallax I guess I'd say... Sinestro Corps War? He's to blame for Zero Hour Hal Jordan and he's mentioned in rebirth, but doesn't appear in either of them IIRC. Someone may have better insight on that.

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (58293 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectre:
There was a thread about this. Link.
Darkseid:
New Gods. There's been a few volumes of it.
BB

#15 Edited by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Parallax came into the DC universe at a very odd time, when DC were trying to sort out continuity issues and pretty much re-write 50 years of comic history. So I'd suggest reading some Hal Jordan Green Lantern stuff before finding out about Parallax.

But if you're not too worried about the storyline preceding Parallax' appearance then I would suggest (in chronological order) the following graphic novels :

'The Return of Superman' – a great storyline, this sets up the why and how of Parallax’ appearance. It also, quite obviously accounts for Superman’s coming back to life.

'Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight' – this shows how Parallax first appeared and if you’re already a GL fan then some of the events of this graphic novel are damned surprising!

'Zero Hour: Crisis in Time' – This graphic novel has Parallax as the main villain fighting the newly appointed Green Lantern; Kyle Rayner. ('Crisis on Infinite Earths' precedes this particular storyline and although it is not essential reading for Parallax, is still worth a read as it was a major event in the DC universe and was quite frankly awesome!)

Then after all of this I would suggest the Green Lantern Corps series which starts with 'Green Lantern Corps: Recharge'. This GLC graphic novel series also features Parallax quite heavily (especially in the 'Sinestro Corps War') and ends in the 'Blackest Night' and 'Brightest Day' storylines which are pretty iconic and really cool.  These seriously need to be read.

I hope this helped :)

#16 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

ALSO... as you will tell when reading them, The Spectre appears numberously in the above mentioned graphic novels...in a very surprising way...  

And although you say you'd prefer more modern storylines, I'd recommend looking at Silver Age Spectre because he appears in some serious team-ups and good JLA storylines.
#17 Edited by FacetiousBeard (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Has already be said but for the Marvel cosmic characters I would suggest Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings, Realm of Kings and The Thanos Imperative and all the related tie-in comics. Be weary however, this is a lot of comics. That'd cover nearly all the Guardians of the Galaxy run that started in 2008, containing the always badass Peter Quill and Rocket Racoon, as well as Drax, Groot and a smidgen of Adam Warlock and Thanos, as well as issues covering The Silver Surfer and a fair bit of Nova. For a sizeable chunk of Thanos and Adam Warlock go with the whole Infinity Sagas including Thanos Quest, The Infinity Gauntlet, The Infinity War, The Infinity Crusade, The Infinity Abyss and The End. You shouldn't have any difficulty following along as the characters' history doesn't seem all that relevant, however, there are many other superb story-arcs with those guys but these suggestions are a good place to start.

For the DC stuff however, I can offer no advice, sorry.

#18 Edited by Saren (25055 posts) - - Show Bio

I will assume that you have at least a rudimentary knowledge of these characters before reading this stuff.

@Gambit1024 said:

• Thanos

Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos: Infinity Abyss, Marvel: The End, Thanos (solo series), Annihilation, The Thanos Imperative

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer: Requiem is not canon, but is a terrific story nonetheless. He also had an tie in to Annihilation called Annihilation: Silver Surfer, and another mini called Silver Surfer: In Thy Name.

I have only just started Surfer's third volume myself, so someone like Morph or jloneblackheart would probably be a better source of Surfer material.

Not sure. I myself have only started digging into Warlock and his associated characters. There's the second volume of Guardians of the Galaxy as well as Annihilation: Conquest.

• Nova

There are some quality Nova stories in his fourth volume.

• Spectre

Hoo boy. Spectre has had three major hosts post-Crisis. Jim Corrigan's Spectre was the star of Spectre v3. It is essential reading for anyone interested in the character. How Hal Jordan became the Spectre after Corrigan forms the basis of the mini-series Day of Judgment. The fourth Spectre volume is about Hal's exploits as the Spectre. It is not even close to being as good as the third volume, and in hindsight not really necessary reading. How Hal returned to life forms the basis of Green Lantern: Rebirth, which is only necessary to know how the Spectre came to be without a host for a while. Without a host and with a little manipulation from Eclipso, the Spectre went crazy and started slaughtering magic users wholesale, which forms the story of Day of Vengeance. This was a great story, I highly recommend it. Crispus Allen became the third major host of the Spectre in Infinite Crisis Aftermath: The Spectre, which is a decent read, and his exploits as the Spectre were contained in Tales of the Unexpected: The Spectre, which is not particularly remarkable. His final two major stories as the Spectre before the reboot were Countdown to Mystery and Final Crisis: Revelations, both of which were pretty good.

• Parallax

In order: Emerald Twilight, Zero Hour, Final Night, Green Lantern: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps Special, Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Parallax, and Sinestro Corps War.

• Phantom Stranger

No clue.

• Darkseid

AtPhantom can tell you everything you want to know about Darkseid.

#19 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2085 posts) - - Show Bio

After The New Gods..I think an essential Darkseid Story is "The Great Darkness Saga". Now the story arc is old (about 30 years) and is in Legion of Superheroes #290-294. Not sure if it's even cannon anymore, but I don't know anybody that didn't think it wasn't a great arc..even people unfamiliar with the Legion.

#20 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024:

Read:

The Infinity Gauntlet

Annihilation

Silver Surfer: Requiem

The Thanos Imperative

New Gods

#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: @FullmetalChobit: @FacetiousBeard: @CitizenBane: Wow. Thanks a lot guys. You've all been extremely helpful

#22 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024

No problem :)