#1 Posted by Bouncebread (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey,

I've been reading manga for a couple of years now and kind of wanted to start reading some comics as well.

The problem is, I have no idea where to start, when I take a look on this site I see twenty different Batman series, fifteen Spiderman series and I don't know what. I guess it just takes some getting used to.

I'd like someone to give me a general idea on how this stuff works, what series I might start with, which ones I should avoid etc.

I'm not picky on what kind of story you'll want to recommend as long as the story itself is worth reading. Also, I can get quite obsessed with stuff I like, as in 10 hours a day is no problem when I have the time for it, so don't hesitate recommending a bit too much.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Step 1- Pick a comic you think looks good, then read the recap page.

Step 2- Step 1.

#3 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Year One

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: Hush

Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: The Court of Owls

Batman: Arkham Asylum

The Dark Knight Returns

Batman: A Death in the Family

Batman: Knightfall

Batman: R.I.P.

Try those Batman stories.

#4 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

What genres of comics are you looking for?

#5 Posted by Bouncebread (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

With manga I liked anything with a good story so I'm pretty sure it should be the same for comics.

I know it's a bit vague but I'm just pretty easy when it comes to liking stuff.

@TheBigRedCheese said:

The Dark Knight Returns

I'll give them all a shot, thanks.

#6 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

what she said and what characters do you want?

#7 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

okay, I'm gonna give you some tpb that are easy to jump into

Batman: court of owls by scott snyder (still ongoing)

Journey into mystery by Kieron Gillen (there are plenty of tpb's from this series)

Animal man by Jeff lemire (still ongoing)

Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction (there are plenty tpb's but you should start with the 5 nightmares arc)

Green lantern by Geoff Johns (this includes sinestro corps war, rebirth, etc)

there are some if you want a specific character just ask.

#8 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

For Superman: All Star Superman, Superman Birthright. Kingdom Come (has a ton of other characters in as well, though I consider Superman to be the main character)

For Batman: @TheBigRedCheese said:

The Dark Knight Returns

For Wonder Woman: the current ongoing.

For Spiderman: Can;t go wrong with the Ultimate Series (same goes for the Avengers; I would really recommend The Ultimates by Mark Miller, but not the stuff by Jeph Loeb)

Other things to read:

Identity Crisis, though like Kingdom Come features a ton of characters that you may or may not be familiar with; So it's always a good idea (if you have the time) to just note down any names of the character you don't know and check out their wiki's on this site.

Marvels - great brief-ish overview of the history of Marvel characters in comic form, and it's genuinely awesome.(Alex Ross...and gah! can't remember the writer's name)

Civil War...I enjoyed it.

Young Avengers...their first volumes

Runaways...because it's simply awesome...and you don;t have to read any background information.

It really depends whether you want to read Marvel or DC (or even Vertigo and other more independent publishers...which are great for more non-superheroy stuff.)

Hope that helps (just for starters)

XD

#9 Posted by Bouncebread (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I have a lot to check out. Thanks for all this!

To be honest, apart from the really famous names I hardly know anything about DC, Marvel or whatever publisher.

Also, I did just realize I've read and enjoyed a lot of darker manga. Not sure about a genre but the serious, not so much humor, somewhat depressing realistic stories.

Anyway, I'll check out every rec so far and every rec I might still get :)

Thanks!

#10 Edited by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, youre hot.

Also... Read Watchmen.

#11 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

In the first 24 hours, a user can only post 7 post so if you need to say something, it's best just to edit your post. Don't reply to this post lol.

#12 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're planning on reading Marvel I recommend getting the AvX series because of the major impacts it is set to have on the Marvel universe.

#13 Posted by SoA (4697 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bouncebread: punisher MAX -realistic , gritty, violent and dark. the walking dead -little humor ,gorey, realistic human emotins(unlike the show ), the darkness/witchblade/artifacts, dark and somewhat horror. harvest - new series about organ harvesting .infected- another new series about some virus thats turning people into psychos,and the strain- fairly new , about an infestation of vampiric beings attacking all over the world reads like a horror movie. hoped this helped.

#14 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics are expensive! If you want the most bang for your buck, go on ebay and get some of the older series, TPB's and arcs. You don't have to start fresh with current series and full price comics that are coming out today.

If you like darker, try the TPBs for Walking Dead. I'm reading Irredeemable right now, and am enjoying it I'd call it dark. There are a lot of post here talking about peoples favorite series. A lot of the ones listed above are complete and thus excellent recommendations.

I also had gotten a Marvel digital subscription. You gotta read on computer screen, but it's a good way to get a lot of content. 1602 was on there and complete. Also first few years of anything with the word Ultimate in it is good.

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (14465 posts) - - Show Bio

The current series that you might like are:

Batman - Scott Snyder(writer) and Greg Capullo(artist)

Animal Man - Jeff Lemire(writer) and various artists.

Invincible Iron Man - Matt Fraction(writer) and Salvador Larroca(artist)

Amazing Spider-Man - Dan Slott(writer) and Humberto Ramos(artist)

Aquaman - Geoff Johns(writer) and Ivan Reis(artist)

#16 Edited by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on pure story alone? Or are there any characters specifically that interest you? Best bet is to pick up anything you think looks interesting....if you like it, just keep buying, borrowing and reading....there's no starting off point....just hop on the moving train and start!

#17 Edited by borges (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Here are a few of my favourite series:

Y the last man

Watchmen

Planetary

Ex Machina

Madman (vol.2)

Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

Criminal

X-Statix

(If you ignore most of what I've suggested, do, without hesitance, check out Maus.)

#18 Posted by JediXMan (29619 posts) - - Show Bio

Just gonna recommend Sandman.

#19 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Read the very first issue of any reboot of Batman or Spider-Man.

#20 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6109 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bouncebread: READ Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Batman Graphic Novels (Must read The Dark Knight Returns) try buyin' trades from Amzons. They are kinda cheap.

If you wanna start right now- FOR MARVEL- Wait for MARVEL NOW! and see what titles Interests you. Some Current grreat Marvel titles are Punisher , Hawkeye, Daredevil and Uncanny XForce.

FOR DC- This Month would be a good start point since it has been a Year for NEW 52 and they are now doin' #0. Try pickin' up trades for the new DC books that you wanna read. Best Dc books right now are Batman written by Scott Snyder, Animal man, BatWoman, Swamp Thing, Batgirl, Aquaman, and Justice League

I recommend you read the Walking Dead series from Image. But the trades and strat buying the issues. They are worth the read.

LOOK up characters on WIKi and if you like the character, try finding books with stories about him.

Try finding a Comic book shop near you live.

These are the best advice I can give you. I recently got into comics too about 2 months ago. So far enjoying readin.

#21 Posted by Bouncebread (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

I've added each and every one of them to a list and will check them all out. I'll also start using the wiki for favorite characters and stuff.

Thanks!

#22 Posted by jhazzroucher (15137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bouncebread: you will definitely love x-men books. : )

#23 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7590 posts) - - Show Bio

If your interested in Marvel then Marvel Now would be a good jumping on point.

#24 Posted by shaktisaurus (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Im sort of in the same boat your in . I just got into this "scene" a coupld months ago and am overwhelmed with the choices but so excited at the same time. My best advice is to take what everyone says with a grain of salt. Opinions are just that... Opinions. I love some of the things that have been recommended to me and others, not so much.

But here's my opinion just in case:

I second most of choices. Ive been on a Brian K. Vaughan kick lately and it all started with me reading Y: The Last Man . It made me laugh, cry and scream out loud and I couldn't put it down. I even recommend it to people who have never read comics before. Brian is a master story teller and quickly has readers invested in his characters. Also:

Pride of Baghdad

Ex Machina

Once again... its all just opinions. Best of luck and welcome.

#25 Posted by YoungJustice (6681 posts) - - Show Bio

Your pretty. Anyway, I would suggest Avengers Academy and Amazing Spider-Man from Marvel. Aquaman and Animal-man from DC. Also, check out Before Watchmen and Watchmen.

#26 Posted by Bouncebread (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the extra recommendations, I already liked the summary of Y: The Last Man but I'll have to move it up my list now.

Also, the girl in both my avatar and my profile pic is a member of a korean pop group. Yeah, she's pretty but it's not me :)

#27 Posted by JoeEddie (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bouncebread:

Buy this http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-The-Court-Owls/dp/1401235417/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347202506&sr=8-1&keywords=court+of+owls

and when it is released, buy this http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-The-City-Owls/dp/1401237770/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347202555&sr=8-2&keywords=court+of+owls

#28 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

Start with one title and jump in don't go back to read until your 6 months in the series, and are sure you like it. Also find a comic book store and ask them. I recommend ultimate spider man and action comics.

#29 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't be afraid to jump right into the deep end.

Read what looks interesting. As questions come up, research them on Wiki or come on here and ask us about things from previous comics.

Please don't let the enormous wall of comics history act as an impediment to your enjoyment. Don't assume you have to have read everything to enjoy new comics. You don't. Eventually you'll read more, but even the most comics-literate amongst us have huge gaps in what we've read. One thing we all learned is that we can just take what we do know and roll with it. So can you.

Enjoy!