If Thor can do it, why can't Wonder Woman?

• 74 results
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I've been thinking about this for awhile now and thought, what the heck, i'll get it off my chest. As most people know now, the Wonder Woman television show has been cancelled before it even premiered, as well as the rumored Wonder Woman film, it seems that the amazing Amazon just can't catch a break, and my question is, why not? Recently, Marvel's Thor has had success being transitioned to the big screen, people praised it, and it made quite a pretty penny, my question is, if they could get Thor to be more relatable and grounded in reality, why can't they do the same for Diana? i mean besides being from different mythos (Norse and Greek) they are basically similar in many ways. 

1. Both have god like abilities  
2. both have magic based weapons 
3. both defied their parents which led them to journey to the mortal realm 
4. both met and fell in love with mortals who are currently obsolete in their stories (Jane Foster and Steve Trevor) 
5. both joined super hero teams 

the list goes on and on, so why can Thor be so successful, yet wonder woman constatnly gets the boot? is it some kind of sexism? Do film studios not believe a woman can command the lead role as well as a man? or is it something else, so i ask you, why do you think Diana can't catch a break? could a Wonder Woman movie work?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm gonna say it. Not to be a jerk, but this is honestly why I don't think she's had any luck. 

...Because she's a woman. 

theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By theicon
@Gambit1024: cant agree  if that's the case why r there so many female leads  every where an in every thing, its something else
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

Because Hollywood is terrified of a woman who doesn't need a man for anything because they're a bunch of small minded pricks who can't get it up with out a little blue pill 

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gravitypress

Because WB is terrified they will lose $

Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambit1024: I don't agree with that being the case.

@joshmightbe
Hollywood is not terrified of a woman who doesn't need a man.. that's rubbish.
theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theicon
@joshmightbe: a woman that doesnt need a man is  the kingdom of selfishness.....just as a man who tries to control a woman is a world of weakness
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
@Andy Steven Summers: then why does every other woman in hollywood movies damsels in distress, even the so called strong ones will drop everything for their man?
Alch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alch21

Does Wonder Women have a Year One-like book?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gambit1024
@theicon: Sure, some female leads like Storm or Laura Croft could hold up their own film (well, maybe not Storm being an X-Man and all), but comic book films' main audience is boys and men. IMO, it would be very hard to take her character seriously by today's audience. Especially if she's fighting crime in her iconic bathing suit-looking outfit.  

I personally would love to see her in a movie, but they'd really have to do something to make her as awesome as Batman or as awe-inspiring as Thor. If it were up to me, I'd make her the warrior she's supposed to be. Give her a sword, shield, and some sort of armor they'd use in ancient Greece. Give her the ability to do something that Batman or Superman don't have, the ability to kill if there was absolutely no other way. Throw out everything from that stupid show that was on during the 70's (seriously, Idk why people are so attached to those shows). Hell, they could even make it a period piece and get away with it. Just do something to make her cooler than what non-comic fans are used to. 
theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By theicon
@Gambit1024: agreed to the fullest gambit, i would like to see a ww movie/ tv  myself
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambit1024: I agree with everything you just said. Unfortunately, I think the one thing networks and movie studios don't want to do is portray heroes in comics in a negative light because of age restrictions at which point they think it will cut their profit down a smidgeon.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gambit1024
@theicon: Did you see her animated movie? I think that was one of the best ones DC ever put out. 
harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#14  Edited By harleyquinn12

Because Marvel just made Thor, who, as you pointed out very nicely, is very similar to Wonder Woman.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Gambit1024:  

I personally would love to see her in a movie, but they'd really have to do something to make her as awesome as Batman or as awe-inspiring as Thor. If it were up to me, I'd make her the warrior she's supposed to be. Give her a sword, shield, and some sort of armor they'd use in ancient Greece. Give her the ability to do something that Batman or Superman don't have, the ability to kill if there was absolutely no other way. Throw out everything from that stupid show that was on during the 70's (seriously, Idk why people are so attached to those shows). Hell, they could even make it a period piece and get away with it. Just do something to make her cooler than what non-comic fans are used to. 

very well said and i agree with everything you said, and i do think it's some sexism involved myself, even the so called strong women in movies are basically just sex symbols, i mean when you think or Laura Croft, she's basically just a hot scantily clad woman raiding tombs, people won't respect her like they do, say, Indiana Jones 

i also agree with your idea of a wonder woman movie, if it were up to me, i'd get rid of her "bathing suit' and give her a more xena like look 

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By Dracade102
Wonder Woman had an animated movie? How come I was never informed...
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gambit1024
@sesquipedalophobe: Well I'm not saying that it should be an R-rated film, but yeah, I agree.  

Also, with the money they lost from Green Lantern and Jonah Hex (seriously, who the hell thought that was a good idea?) they want to make sure that whatever they're gonna put out next is going to be a guaranteed cash cow. That's why we've had like a billion Batman movies and no Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow or Hawkman movies. 

Superman's different because, yes, it's extremely capable of making the cash, but if they don't do anything with the character within a certain time frame, WB loses the movie rights or some nonsense. 
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Dracade102: yep, came out a couple years ago, it was awesome 

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#19  Edited By Dracade102
@The Stegman: OKAY I'm convinced!! I'll need to keep an eye out for that on DVD...
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit1024
@The Stegman said:
@Gambit1024:  

very well said and i agree with everything you said, and i do think it's some sexism involved myself, even the so called strong women in movies are basically just sex symbols, i mean when you think or Laura Croft, she's basically just a hot scantily clad woman raiding tombs, people won't respect her like they do, say, Indiana Jones 

i also agree with your idea of a wonder woman movie, if it were up to me, i'd get rid of her "bathing suit' and give her a more xena like look 

This is exactly what I mean. While Wonder Woman may be a great superhero (arguably one of DC's best) she'll never get the same kind of respect Superman or Batman gets. And that's the look I'm talking about. Good call.  

@Dracade102 said:
Wonder Woman had an animated movie? How come I was never informed...
Yep, here's the trailer: 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joshmightbe
@Gambit1024: Jonah Hex would have been great if they'd left it as what its always been in the comics, a western staring a bad a$$ bounty hunter with a messed up face putting all that super natural crap and silly gadgets are what killed that movie, that movie barely had any similarity to the actual character 
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gambit1024
@joshmightbe: I guess I'm just so hard on that one because he got a movie before Flash did. I mean really, why has Flash never gotten anything? He hasn't even gotten an animated feature yet. 
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gravitypress
@Gambit1024: He got a TV series.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By joshmightbe
@Gambit1024: I understand it annoys me to no end that Flash doesn't have a movie, not to mention that if he does get a movie it won't be Wally I'm just saying that Jonah Hex was never meant to be a super hero so making it an R rated western would've made much more sense honestly I have no idea what the hell they were thinking cause really what genre is more of a proven success than f**king westerns? If you asked a thousand people what the 10 best movies are I guarantee that most of them would have at least 2 westerns on their list 
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By PowerHerc

@Gambit1024 said:

I'm gonna say it. Not to be a jerk, but this is honestly why I don't think she's had any luck. ...Because she's a woman.

This could very well be the reason.

Though I love the character, most comic fans are male and don't necessarily relate to or even like Wonder Woman. This and there just aren't enough hardcore female comic fans to drive the character.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024
@gravitypress said:
@Gambit1024: He got a TV series.
Like 10 years ago. With the stuff we can do in movies today it would be nothing close to what that was. 

@joshmightbe: I agree 110%. Superhero movies are for men and boys, Westerns are an entirely different genre. Honestly, when was the last time you saw a kid who desperately wanted to go to the movies to see a western? If you're gonna make that movie, do it for the right audience, don't make it something it's not and for people who won't appreciate it. 
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gravitypress

WB are you listening? MORE ANIMATED FEATURES! Especially of the other 99% of DC's characters.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28  Edited By SC  Moderator

The reasons Thor succeeded has nothing to do with the similarities the character of Thor shares with Wonder Woman, so I to me, one might as well say The Green Mile succeeded, why can't a Deadpool movie? Even the similarities that they do have, are played tonally different within their comic books. Whoever is involved in making the movie, is going therefore to have to make many creative decisions that will affect the type of movie made. Thor movie drew on the theme of Thor being a fish out of water theme. Thor actually only has a a relatively tight amount of themes that can be explored, A warrior, father/son, god among mortals, long age, humility/ego. Wonder woman on the other hand has a lot more, and a lot more that are a lot more complicated and harder to sell in broad appeal. She's a feminist icon, pacifist warrior, a female icon with a lot of history as well as some of the things I mentioned about Thor. Then her history is longer as well, so more sources and more diverse characterization. Even comparing supporting casts as well. This is even before we broach the topic of female lead movies having a harder time being made in Hollywood because they still get lumped together and because they are still risky and because if you make it sexier enough you can attract a bunch of a certain audience, but if you make the character too sexy or ramp up that aspect, you lose potential audience members as well. Even Wonder Woman's comic fanbase can be pretty split over minor aspects as well so if they can't pick up steam in her home medium?  

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Rudyftw

Because shes too cheesy. What Greek Amazon wears stars on their underwear?

theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By theicon
@Gambit1024: yes  i wish it was longer and there were more  coming out  i think DC sould do an animated show like that animation or like wonder woman  from  the justice league cartoon.  Deep down inside all us guys  digg her!  weather we admit it or not  lol. at least women can say bravely, i love batman superman  green lantern
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ssejllenrad

It's not because she's a woman. It's because she's not badass like Thor. Yeah I know she's badass in comics. But the version of the Silver Age Linda Hamilton Wonder Woman has been imprinted into the masses and has spilled to succeeding generations. And so she isn't marketable enough.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iLLituracy
@Gambit1024 said:
...Because she's a woman. 
LOL. 

I was going to say this... 

But now I don't have to be the a-hole who said it. 

And that sort of disappoints me. ):
Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aero_gt

shes not as popular as bats and supes she has no really intersting enemies. marvel is more popular to this generation than dc so you cant really compare the two. besides even if she had a movie it would just flop like jonah hex and green lantern. the only good dc movies out really is just batman and the watchmen. i mean mean marvel has a bunch of unknown chars and they can just sell them better for the most part. all the xmen spiderman. blade. hulk. thor is good. iron man was good. captian america was the shiznit. even ghost rider was more intersting than what dc offers. the animated movies are always better than the real action ones because they only need a voice actor and artists to make it dynamite.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Aero_gt:  

shes not as popular as bats and supes she has no really intersting enemies. marvel is more popular to this generation than dc so you cant really compare the two. besides even if she had a movie it would just flop like jonah hex and green lantern. the only good dc movies out really is just batman and the watchmen. i mean mean marvel has a bunch of unknown chars and they can just sell them better for the most part. all the xmen spiderman. blade. hulk. thor is good. iron man was good. captian america was the shiznit. even ghost rider was more intersting than what dc offers. the animated movies are always better than the real action ones because they only need a voice actor and artists to make it dynamite.

yeah but this whole statement is kind of generalizing things, first off she is just as popular as batman and superman, whenever you ask a person (or at least i do) to name a female superhero wonder woman is the first (and at often times only) name that pops up, as for interesting enemies, just as thor has mostly enemies steeped in Norse mythos like Loki, WW has enemies steeped in Greek mythos like Ares, Circe etc, i think if a movie is done RIGHT it can be a great success no matter which company owns the characters, green lantern and jonah hex were bad because the directors were bad, not because they were Dc titles, also on a side note, i wouldn't call ALL of the xmen, spider man movies good as they seemed to have horrible third installments, same with blade 3 and Ghost Rider
mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By mark5
@The Stegman: Thor doesn't go around in a bikini and shorty shorts with the american flag on them and whip a rodeo whip around her enemies. Plus she lives on an island with women warriors. 
Thor lives in the dimension of alien gods who ride a cool looking wormhole to get to earth and have a chap who can see and hear anything in the universe. Plus is has family drama (not silly female love angst) on a cosmic scale.   he has a cool hammer which can create storms, not a rodeo whip and a tiara like some 10 year old birthday princess.  No offense to WW fans, she comes off as pathetic and impractical to me. The 1970s was good, but only a preppy way. I watched it for lols. I didn't actually take her seriously.  For Thor, it took the cosmic drama pretty suspenseful.    Supergirl is more awesome, as with the new gods (Big Barda) . Those would work better IMO. 

Besides Thor wasn't so good a movie, it was more the graphics and concept that wowed the audience than the actual plot. 
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@mark5: um...you just completely deviated from the subject at hand, it's obvious you don't like Ww fine, but no need to insult her, what you find uninteresting might not be what everyone else finds uninteresting, as a matter of fact i enjoy reading WW alot more than Thor. don't tear down one character just because you personally dislike them
mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mark5
@The Stegman said:

@mark5: um...you just completely deviated from the subject at hand, it's obvious you don't like Ww fine, but no need to insult her, what you find uninteresting might not be what everyone else finds uninteresting, as a matter of fact i enjoy reading WW alot more than Thor. don't tear down one character just because you personally dislike them

I just gave you reasons why she can't make it, she's not badass or believable enough and wouldn't fit with general audiences. Do you think people will take a woman with a rodeo whip seriously. Stop taking offense i just listed reasons why she's less cooler than thor and less plausible as an idea. Even Thor they had to downplay for the wider audience so they could get rid of the hippie stuff in his comics. Unless they make major revamps on WW they can't transit her successfully. her costume, appeal, heritage and equipment makes her something geared towards 8-14 year old cinematic audience if they don't deviate too much from the comics. Thor can be at least enjoyed by a wider range of audience. 
Again don't take offense. There is no need to get defensive.  I'm not trying insulting her, just been brutally honest.  
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gravitypress

The main issue as I see it is that WB is afraid to take a chance on her. Hero movies are generally aimed at boys and men. WB is probably afraid that they would miss the target audience and create a flop. Women are generally dragged to superhero movies but WW would be a venture into the unknown. On one hand she is appealing to men due to being sexy and women would take offence on the other if they make it to girly men will be bored.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@mark5 said:
I just gave you reasons why she can't make it, she's not badass or
Since when isn't Wonder Woman badass? Where are you getting this from?
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@mark5: i see Wonder woman as no more or less believable than thor, heck Xena is pretty much the same thing and she had a very good tv show run, as for who is more "badass" that's completely up to opinions, her costume (like most superhero movies) can be modified, her origin and heritage is amazing and there's nothing wrong with it, and her lasso is no more or less ridiculous than a hammer that causes storms
mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mark5
@Vance Astro said:
@mark5 said:
I just gave you reasons why she can't make it, she's not badass or
Since when isn't Wonder Woman badass? Where are you getting this from?
Not in any tv or cartoon i've seen her in. In comics no sorry. our opinion are split here. I don't mean badass in power level. I mean  overall character. 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@mark5 said:
Not in any tv or cartoon i've seen her in. In comics no sorry. our opinion are split here. I don't mean badass in power level. I mean  overall character. 
Have you seen Justice League Unlimited? Wonder Woman the animated movie? JLA: On Two Earths? If you haven't seen anything "badass" from her maybe you're limited in what you've seen because i'm sure she's done things that other characters have done that you would call badass.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@The Stegman said:
@mark5: i see Wonder woman as no more or less believable than thor, heck Xena is pretty much the same thing and she had a very good tv show run, as for who is more "badass" that's completely up to opinions, her costume (like most superhero movies) can be modified, her origin and heritage is amazing and there's nothing wrong with it, and her lasso is no more or less ridiculous than a hammer that causes storms
I agree with this.
mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mark5
@The Stegman said:
Thor has norse mythos behind him which justifies the hammer partly. Also men and boys (superhero films are geared at them) would find it more awesome than a rodeo whip which makes people tell the truth or a princess crown. Just saying.  
Her costume should be more armor like, like Xena was. And besides Xena actually killed people and was a full grown warrior. She is considered quite manly. Wonder Woman is like her but not quite.  Though come to think of it i think taking her the MacGyver way would be better than her killing people. haha.  
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@mark5 said:
@The Stegman said:
Thor has norse mythos behind him which justifies the hammer partly. Also men and boys (superhero films are geared at them) would find it more awesome than a rodeo whip which makes people tell the truth or a princess crown. Just saying.  Her costume should be more armor like, like Xena was. And besides Xena actually killed people and was a full grown warrior. She is considered quite manly. Wonder Woman is like her but not quite.  Though come to think of it i think taking her the MacGyver way would be better than her killing people. haha.  
You say this as if Wonder Woman never killed anyone.
mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mark5
@Vance Astro said:

@mark5 said:

Have you seen Justice League Unlimited? Wonder Woman the animated movie? JLA: On Two Earths? If you haven't seen anything "badass" from her maybe you're limited in what you've seen because i'm sure she's done things that other characters have done that you would call badass.
I've seen all these and nothing struck me as cool. I can't help but be annoyed at how ridiculous a character she is. JLA actually made me dislike her more. She was whipping a rodeo whip while others turned into monsters, ran super fast, shot laser beams or create a cool construct.  JLA: Earth two, i read the comics and watched the film. Nothing to note there. Her power level is impressive but her characterization isn't.  There is more to a character than making them ultra-powerful and a awesome martial artist. if the way you present them isn't good, they end up failing.  
 In fact the film which made me see her more in a good light was Superman?Batman: Apocalypse. Her and Big Barda owned in that film. Despite her distracting costume...i hoped DC would change that in the reboot, good thing they did. 
mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mark5
@Vance Astro said:
@mark5 said:
@The Stegman said:
Thor has norse mythos behind him which justifies the hammer partly. Also men and boys (superhero films are geared at them) would find it more awesome than a rodeo whip which makes people tell the truth or a princess crown. Just saying.  Her costume should be more armor like, like Xena was. And besides Xena actually killed people and was a full grown warrior. She is considered quite manly. Wonder Woman is like her but not quite.  Though come to think of it i think taking her the MacGyver way would be better than her killing people. haha.  
You say this as if Wonder Woman never killed anyone.
I know she has killed before. I don't think it could fit well on screen though
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@mark5:  

Thor has norse mythos behind him which justifies the hammer partly. Also men and boys (superhero films are geared at them) would find it more awesome than a rodeo whip which makes people tell the truth or a princess crown. Just saying.  
Her costume should be more armor like, like Xena was. And besides Xena actually killed people and was a full grown warrior. She is considered quite manly. Wonder Woman is like her but not quite.  Though come to think of it i think taking her the MacGyver way would be better than her killing people. haha.  

yes, the hammer is apart of Norse mythos, but the lasso is apart of ww's mythos, i don't see how one is more belieable than others, the rope can be used in combat to subdue enemies, it is unbreakable and can be used to lift heavy objects (she once used it to pull a collapsing bridge back together) you're making fun of her tiara? when thor has feathers on his ears? i agree that her costume should be more like Xena or at least traditional Greek battle gear, hopefully it will be, and Diana kills people, she just tries to find alternatives to it first, the Amazons are a race of warriors after all 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@mark5 said:
@Vance Astro said:
@mark5 said:
I've seen all these and nothing struck me as cool. I can't help but he annoyed at how ridiculous a character she is. JLA actually made me dislike her more. She was whipping a rodeo whip while others turned into monster, ran super fast, shot laser beams or create a cool construct.  JLA: Earth two, i read the comics and watched the film. Nothing to note there. Her power level is impressive but her characterization isn't.  There is more to a character than making them ultra-powerful and a awesome martial artist. if the way you present them isn't good, they end up failing.   In fact the film which made me see her more in a good light was Superman?Batman: Apocalypse. Her and Big Barda owned in that film. 
You simply don't like the character.I'm not TRYING to make you like her.I'm simply asking how you can say she's NOT badass, I don't know what definition you are using but she's done some pretty bad ass things.If you don't like the character you just don't i'm not trying to make you recall instances where she impressed you.