Posted by Mulder15 (332 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: If Joker got an origin which origin would you like to see made canon? (40 votes)

The Killing Joke's origin 50%
Mobster origin 0%
Recent Zero Year origin 35%
Other ((Specify)) 15%

With the reveal of Joker's origin in Batman #24 - Zero Year: Dark City, Part One I thought that a poll like this would be interesting.

#1 Posted by AllStarSuperman (23013 posts) - - Show Bio

Zero Year Origin, I loved it.

#2 Edited by Autopsad (95 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Zero Year origin even though it's not an origin, after all, we don't know who he is...

#3 Posted by BloodTalon (443 posts) - - Show Bio

I have not read the new one yet but I like the Joker's origin being a mystery.

#4 Posted by RedRoomWriter (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Still sticking with Killing Joke, it's the quintessential origin story.

#5 Posted by IheartZombies92--defunct (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

What was the Zero Year origin? Haven't caught up on my reading...

#6 Posted by Dernman (15813 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want him to have just one. I want it to be a mystery that every time Batman thinks he has it figured out he finds out it's not true.

#7 Edited by RustyRoy (14031 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I don't want him to have just one. I want it to be a mystery that every time Batman thinks he has it figured out he finds out it's not true.

@redroomwriter said:

#8 Posted by batkevin74 (11215 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke is an Elseworlds tale, because at the end Batman KILLS Joker! It took someone to point it out to me but yeah Batman kills the Joker meaning this isn't "real" it's an Elseworlds or an imaginary story leaving Joker's origin up for grabs and hopefully never known.

I don't like Grant Morrison but here's....actually here's the address, see for yourself, make up your own minds

http://screenrant.com/the-killing-joke-batman-killed-joker-grant-morrison/

#9 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

My preferred origin for Joker: he's alternate-Earth Bruce Wayne....would explain how he can keep up with Bats, and makes it hilarious because they don't know one another's identities.

Killing Joke is an Elseworlds tale, because at the end Batman KILLS Joker! It took someone to point it out to me but yeah Batman kills the Joker meaning this isn't "real" it's an Elseworlds or an imaginary story leaving Joker's origin up for grabs and hopefully never known.

I don't like Grant Morrison but here's....actually here's the address, see for yourself, make up your own minds

You can check out the Fatman on Batman podcast episode with Morrison - he goes into it.

#10 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure Morrison's interpretation is actually correct. He seems to be looking too deep into it in all honesty from what I've seen of it. Killing Joke has been implied to be canon in Pre Flashpoint and New 52 so it's impossible for Batman to kill Joker. And I actually love Morrison so me differing with him here is a first.

#11 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: That's Morrison's interpretation of the story, it's not fact.

#12 Posted by RedRoomWriter (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Not fact but mere interpretation.

I'd say the laugh shared between them is more the realisation that sooner or later it will end with one killing the other (see The Dark Knight Returns) the idea of the cut away is to leave the audience guessing.

Also Killing Joke is considered Semi-Canon as aspects such as Barbara Gordon being shot were kept and moved into the actual Canon.

#13 Posted by 14NC3 (1794 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

What is Joker's current back story

#15 Posted by Mulder15 (332 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: It's not an Elseworlds it's canon. Also Morrison didn't write or have any involvement with TKJ. It's his own personal theory.

#17 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the Zero Year origin because it was clearly ambiguous, with subtle traces of Killing Joke while also leaving room for part of it to remain canon

#19 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8737 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to abstain from voting till I read Batman #24. Apparently it revealed Joker's New 52 origin?

#20 Edited by AllStarSuperman (23013 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by BumpyBoo (10744 posts) - - Show Bio

Like a few people have said, I think his not having a canon origin is an extension of the character's chaotic, unpredictable nature, and I like it just fine that way :)

#22 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8737 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8737 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

Like a few people have said, I think his not having a canon origin is an extension of the character's chaotic, unpredictable nature, and I like it just fine that way :)

Agreed. I prefer it that way. But -- seeing as this is a hypothetical question -- let's say DC announced that Joker was going to have an "origin" made canon, but let the fans decide which one of the poll options would be picked.

I would choose the New 52.

Not technically an origin, but It's the only one that leaves enough mystery to the character's past, IMO.

#24 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

OTHER.

Other being that he doesn't have one.

Like now.

#25 Posted by Bierschneeman (4218 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the one where he shows he has like three or four origins on playing cards, and then selects one at random. as if he either doesn't remember, or just tries out different ones to see which gives him the bigger laugh in the end.

#26 Posted by Kthanid (77 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved flashpoint's fem joker but that's because it is so intertwined with batman and would be really hard to do without being a Wayne. Seriously that scene was chilling in the movie. Other than that while I hate mystery, I do have to admit that an ambiguous origin story at best is preferable than one that just wouldn't do him justice

#27 Edited by CuddleBear (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

add a no origin option.