Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: If it meant comics going back to $.12, which characters would you be okay with being killed off? (permanently) (56 votes)

Superman 14%
Batman 14%
Spiderman 9%
Iron Man 27%
All of the above 7%
None of the above 29%

Comics used to be a lot cheaper, like $.12. If it meant comics going back to this price, which characters would you be okay with being permanently killed off. Don't say "well it's never permanent," because in this specific hypothetical case it is. This means killed off in the comic-verse, the movie-verse, the tv-verse, everything. The character is dead.

I know it's kind of a strange question, but I'm curious what CV has to say about it. (I really stumped myself over whether or not I would be content with Peter Parker's death being permanent if it meant the comic would be 12 cents.)

Please feel free to name any other characters you would be cool with getting the chop, I just wanted to name a few with huge fan bases as a poll. Looking forward to see what kind of responses I get.

#1 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually laughed my ass off when I saw 100% for Iron Man, until I realized I was the first and only vote.... I feel dumb now.

#2 Posted by AllStarSuperman (23013 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted iron man

#3 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem a lot of times is that comics have not really evolved. They keep rebooting but just adding the same stuff in. It is why I have mostly given up on the big two for indies.

#4 Edited by Catsnlynne (1060 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Batman.

#5 Posted by Icarusflies (12513 posts) - - Show Bio

While I'd LIKE Batman to stay around, I'd be okay with most deaths for that kind of price drop. :P

#6 Edited by sagejonathan (2033 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess Hulk. I don't read Hulk and I like the character, but he is the most popular character that I wouldn't mind getting killed for that price drop.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

None

#8 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the New52 Superman so killing him off wouldn't bother me and the price cut would be more than welcome.

#9 Edited by Blood1991 (8082 posts) - - Show Bio

None

This. It isn't fair to the fans of any of these characters no matter how tempting.

#10 Edited by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

None.

#11 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18739 posts) - - Show Bio

None of the above is what I voted for. Surely it would make more sense to kill the less known and less influential comic characters.

Anyone who voted for one of those really needs to take a step back and re think things.

#12 Posted by The_Tree (7989 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of those on this list, Iron Man is most expendable for me.

#13 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

None of the above is what I voted for. Surely it would make more sense to kill the less known and less influential comic characters.

Anyone who voted for one of those really needs to take a step back and re think things.

I said none of the above as well.

#14 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18739 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:
@mrdecepticonleader said:

I said none of the above as well.

Okay.good.

#15 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironman.

#16 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even pick up Spiderman or Ironman but I voted none. The only reason I'd be okay with major characters being tossed aside if it meant my favorites would get printed more frequently, but a lower price wouldn't cause that. You can only get the material out so fast, and even a possible $3.87 per title isn't that insane of a saving (unless you've got an enormous pull-list and are neglecting something where that money could be put to better use..... but then that's your fault. Otherwise most people would say the fact that they're buying the books means it's worth it to them).

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24767 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, just to be difficult

#18 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

I voted Iron man, `cause I`m not a big fan of his, probably `cause I haven`t read any stories from him. That was a mistake. Then I thought that I shoulda picked all of the above, `cause I think the same way about the Big two as @razzatazz. Besides, if someone got a great story for the character(s), there`s always a loop hole that can be used (tell an untold story, use timetravelling, the Elseworlds-trick or something else). Also, any of the characters could die in a story set in to the future. Especially Superman.

But then I realized, that a rule like the one which works as the basis of this thread is pretty stupid (which doesn`t hurt anyone, since this is hypothetical talk). First off, the rule is confining. What if someone wants to tell a story about Batman in the year 2032, even if he was killed permanently fife years earlier (the Elseworlds-trick could be used, though). Secondly, the economy probably wouldn`t allow that (besides, the change would probably last for like, a month. Which is better than nothing, I suppose).

Which means that I probably should`ve picked up the last option.

That`s my 22 cents.

#19 Edited by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted all of the above. As much as I love Superman and Spider-Man there are plenty other characters with great potential for stories and I could afford so much more.

#20 Edited by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6358 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily Superman. He should've permanently bit the dust against Doomsday.

#21 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

I just write my own fiction I find it far more satisfying.

#22 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18739 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

I voted Iron man, `cause I`m not a big fan of his, probably `cause I haven`t read any stories from him. That was a mistake. Then I thought that I shoulda picked all of the above, `cause I think the same way about the Big two as @razzatazz. Besides, if someone got a great story for the character(s), there`s always a loop hole that can be used (tell an untold story, use timetravelling, the Elseworlds-trick or something else). Also, any of the characters could die in a story set in to the future. Especially Superman.

But then I realized, that a rule like the one which works as the basis of this thread is pretty stupid (which doesn`t hurt anyone, since this is hypothetical talk). First off, the rule is confining. What if someone wants to tell a story about Batman in the year 2032, even if he was killed permanently fife years earlier (the Elseworlds-trick could be used, though). Secondly, the economy probably wouldn`t allow that (besides, the change would probably last for like, a month. Which is better than nothing, I suppose).

Which means that I probably should`ve picked up the last option.

That`s my 22 cents.

The thing I was really getting at is the fact that really those characters are influential characters.Superman and Batman certainly are and if it was not for there comics and their legacy we may not of been here typing which one we would have gotten rid of.That is what I was getting at.

#23 Posted by knighthood (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Supes, but Spiderman would be fine as well. Honestly as long as most of my favorite X-Men are okay I would agree to kill off a lot more.

#24 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, I get that this is hypothetical, but comics will never go back to $0.12 at this point. Y'know, inflation, so in reality we're not paying much more actual currency value (in this case, gold bars which back up the dollar) than the people who payed 0.12

Maybe a better question would be who to get rid of if it resulted in an unlimited, cheap energy source for human civilization?

By the way, I'd get rid of Iron Man. Poor guy.

#25 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8748 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, I'd be fine with with almost anyone in comics being chopped pertinently if it meant comics going back to that price!

Almost anyone...

#26 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman.

#27 Edited by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

So, they shouldn`t be killed out of gratitude? Fair point, I guess. Everyone dies at some point though. Besides, I already pointed out that they wouldn`t be gone forever.

#28 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Man...difficult choice.

Mostly because Supes, Bats, and IM are all in my top 10 favorite characters list. And Spider-Man's a pretty influential hero in terms of comics as well.

I guess if I had no choice, I would go with Spidey. Much as I love the classic Lee-Ditko run, the Raimi trilogy, and the SSM cartoon, I love the other three characters more. I wouldn't be able to live without All-Star Superman, The Dark Knight, or Extremis.

#29 Posted by Lvenger (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

None

This. It isn't fair to the fans of any of these characters no matter how tempting.

Seconded

#30 Posted by dondave (38906 posts) - - Show Bio

None

#31 Posted by MSzekeresh (94 posts) - - Show Bio

I would gladly sacrifice both the entire DC and Marvel Universes and all of the characters in them if it meant that I could get top quality books from Image, Darkhorse, IDW, and Valiant at the low price you quoted.