If I could only buy two or three TPBs...

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

...What would be the must-haves'? My local comicbook shop is having a huge costumer appreciation sale, later next week, and I was thinking of buying some trade paper backs to really take my small collection up a notch. I've been saving my money, but I plan to spend most of it on more recent back issues. So if someone could give me some recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it.

I like both Marvel and DC. I enjoy the writing of Bendis, Johns, Bunker, and Scott Snyder. Anything I've read of there's has been awesome. And Captain America, Batman, and Aquaman (because of Goeff's writing) have been some of my favorite characters. Like I said recommends would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. :)

EDIT: I was also thinking of picking up Batman: Death of the family, and was wondering if it was any good?

I've already read Civil War, Blackest Night, Batman: Earth one, Court of Owls, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Death of Captain America, Captain America: Reborn,.... And that's it really. I haven't read that many TPB before.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By JairamGanpat

Hawkeye Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction. Just because it's a contender for Marvel's best and most unique book. You can't go wrong with this.

Hawkman Omnibus by Geoff Johns.

American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder.

ALSO Death of the Family was not that good at all. There have been better Joker stories... lots

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

I enjoyed Death of the Family .. just dont get the Tie-ins ...stick to the main Bat title and you are fine.

-Batman .. court of owls and night of owls are out .. I think they are hard cover tho ... maybe pricy.

- I just got Blackest Night , which is Green Lantern ..and I really like it

- Thanos Imparitive , another good story its got Nova, GOTG and Thanos, and with them playing a roll in the new marvel movies you may want to check that out.

- I really want to read Planet Hulk , and I think the site wrote an article that explains why to read it,

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kilomac29

I really enjoyed Night of the Owls and the Court of Owls. I agree with the Death in the Family comments (tie ins aren't worth it). I recently finished Batman: The Long Halloween, definitely a must read. Hawkeye Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon, definitely a must get.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Anything Green Lantern by Geoff Johns in TPB is worth every penny!

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Anyone have some more suggestions?

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Veshark

Here are a few of the best trade paperbacks I've read and really enjoyed. They're not exactly to your tastes, but I think that any superhero fan would appreciate these.

Superman & the Legion of Super-Heroes by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank

Personally, I feel that this is the best story Geoff Johns has ever written. Even better than Sinestro Corps War, in my opinion. Basically, Supes goes to the future to meet with the Legion and fight an evil League that has made the entire Earth anti-alien by claiming that Supes was a human. I don't even like the Legion, but this story was the bomb. It's action-packed, emotional, and really nails what Superman is about: friendship and loyalty. Also, top-notch artwork by Gary Frank himself.

Invincible Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis and Adi Granov

Still the best Iron Man story I have ever read. First off, there's the great writing by Ellis. The story is relatively normal (new villain, hero has to upgrade to defeat villain), but where Ellis shines is in refining the characters. This was the first story where Tony Stark went from industrialist to futurist - and the comic is just chocked full of brilliant ideas. Essentially, Extremis is upgrading Iron Man for the 21st century - by making him a futurist and bonding him with his armor. This was the comic that would influence the IM movie and the character in the years to come. Plus, Granov's art is realistically suited to the story.

Moon Knight Vol. 1: The Bottom by Charlie Huston and David Finch

This is the story that introduced me to Moon Knight and the comics. IMO, Bendis' take on Moon Knight was meh - but Huston's first six issues are superb. Basically after years of fighting, Moon Knight has retired after a particularly brutal fight with his nemesis. This trade deals with him climbing back from the bottom (his friends are gone, he has no money, he's crippled) to be a hero once again. I'd say that this is David Finch's best work, pencil-wise. His work on Avengers/JLA is nothing compared to this. Only his Messiah Complex covers come close.

Dark Avengers Vol. 1: Assemble by Brian Michael Bendis and Mike Deadato

You mentioned you like Bendis, and for me, this is the best Bendis story I have ever read. Most of his Avengers stuff is just garbage to me, but he really shines with this team of killers and psychoes. Led by Norman Osborn as the Iron Patriot, this team of imitators have been put together to replace the real Avengers. Bendis' annoying writing ticks actually come off as fun here, and I actually enjoyed the banter in this. Mike Deadato continues his awesome art from Thunderbolts, and he draws some dynamic action and photorealistic expressions here.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm unsure of what all you've read, so that creates a bit of trouble picking things out, but I do know that Batman: The Black Mirror (Snyder's pre-New 52 run on Detective Comics) came out in TPB not too long ago and is fantastic. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it already. It's an extremely creepy story set during Dick Grayson's time as Batman.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

whew. just a few of my favorites.............

- Final Crisis : Legion of Three Worlds = awesomeness

- Avengers : Korvac Saga

- Infinity Gauntlet (classic, can't go wrong...)

- Kingdom Come (doesn't get any better)

- JSA: Liberty Files or The Unholy Three (Elseworlds at it's finest)

too many more that I can't think of right now...agreed on The Thanos Imperative (Loved it!) but may not be everyone's preference.