Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Prodigal Son

To the staff:

What do you think the target screen dimensions should be for our encyclopedia entries? I do most of my submissions on a 12" MacBook running at 1280 X 800, and usually try to make the layout look decent for my own screen. When I fire up my iMac running at 1440 X 900, some pages still look good, but others don't, mainly because of image placement.

What should be my ideal target dimensions? Am I making too big a deal out of this?

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Captain Cascader

46% of people coming to comicvine use 1024x768. The site is also set up to never go below that resolution.

While overall I'm still happy we went with a fluid layout vs. a fixed width one, I do people spent more attention to what their pages look like in other rezes.

Take Magneto's for instance. Because of the large amount of images if the page is viewed in a large rez everything will float improperly. The only real solution to things like this is to either decrease the amount of images in the bio, or increase the amount of text in between images. Really, I'd just like to see people use images only when they plan on following it with at least two large paragraphs of text before the next image. That way no matter what size the resolution, the page will always look good.

It's something I definitely think about daily, and haven't come up with a good solution for other then asking people to standardize their pages with common formatting.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Prodigal Son

Thanks for that answer, that helps a lot. I may need to go back and do some editing.

Post Edited:2007-05-09 15:36:31

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Methos

hmmm... never actually thought about dimensions before...

my full screen dimension is 2960 * 1050 spread over two monitors running 1068 * 1050 (left) and 1024 * 1050 (right)

thats how my screen normally looks, has anyone had any problems with my submissions because i'm using such wierd resolutions?

M

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Prodigal Son

It's only a problem if you use a lot of images in your submission (which I tend to do). I just looked at your Supergirl page, and there were no problems.

Plus, designing the page at such a high resolution would probably make you see it very quickly and fix it before too many others saw it. My problem is that I do most of my stuff on a small screen, and when I view it later on a big screen, it doesn't look as good.

Post Edited:2007-05-09 15:48:18

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Methos

ahhh... so the problem is with pictures...

ok, i didn't do any of the pictures in the SG page, ZeroEDGE did them, he knows the formatting code a lot better than i do :)

i'm just working on the text lol

M

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Ms. Invisible

I also realise that different browsers will place your pictures differently. I check on both Opera and Firefox to see if it's all good.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Prodigal Son

Ms. Invisible says:

"I also realise that different browsers will place your pictures differently. I check on both Opera and Firefox to see if it's all good."

Yeah, I'd better check that out too.