I would like to hear from some actual comic fans. Which do you prefer, old school paper comics or digital copies?

• 97 results
DeathClown04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll I would like to hear from some actual comic fans. Which do you prefer, old school paper comics or digital copies? (109 votes)

Paper! 67%
Digital! 17%
Meh, a comic is a comic. 12%
 • 
MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper. I love the smell of brand new books.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Paper, any day of the week. The one thing digital comics is good for is its extreme convenience, which in retrospect is a huge factor. It's easy, accessible, VERY organized, and you can bring unlimited comics around with you in the form of a tablet, phone, or computer. But when it really comes down to it; it's the touch, smell, natural art, and feeling that makes print comics a win for me.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper all the way.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine008

Paper all day every day.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper is a lot better.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper, but storage is annoying

DeathClown04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like we have quite a few old school collectors in the house!

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If I'm genuinely collecting - paper for sure. However if it's just so I can read it - I honestly don't care - maybe prefer digital due to being able to read it anywhere, anytime.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Digital...... Just the fact that I will never have to deal with a pull list again is worth it. My comics never sell out. If I want to drop a book I just don't buy it. If I want to read a book that's been out for a while I just buy it, no more hunting it down. No more long boxes. I can get my comics with out even getting out of bed........

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. Actually, really beautiful stories I like to have on paper. I just like the medium more. But if I had to have the storage space for every comic book I read just for the sake of continuity I would go out of my mind. Also, I would have the obligation to buy it because if you don't have a pull list you may arrive too late to the store.

In digital form, comics never sell out and they don't get more pricey with time. Also, I am from Italy, and DC and Marvel stuff here isn't as well managed as in the US. We don't have some books, some other books are pushed together in double sized magazines... it's a mess.

So, paper for immortal stories, digital for throwaway everyday books.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I am running out of room but comics, tangible paper based things I can hold.

Smallville2106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper definitely for me

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By jumpstart55

Paper easily!

The smell the texture it just triggers something magical.

Discopirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Discopirate

Paper for me all the way. I see the appeal of digital comics, and further down the line I may change my mind. However, paying the same price to access a digital comic that I don't even own doesn't sit well with me.

Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

meh. both are ok. so it comes down to storage. so burned dvds win.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

For years I've been a straight paper comic kinda guy and never cared for digital comics, but recently I began trying digital comics and I've gotta say that I love it. Being able to buy my comics and read them all in the click of a button just makes it easier and more enjoyable. Really, when it comes down to it, I'd recommend trying digital comics out if you never have before.

That said, while I enjoy buying my comics digitally, I still enjoy buying my comics in hard/paperback trades as well.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Digital is 100x better than paper, once I switched from paper to digital I sold most of my paper so I could get them digitally.

People need to switch already, if the only reason you haven't switched to digital cause of the smell of paper lol, you might as well just switch.

Hey, when your waist deep in comic books just remember you could have switched to digital!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:
Hey, when your waist deep in comic books just remember you could have switched to digital!

I hear you there. I've got tubs-full of paper comics that if I had bought digitally would have saved me so much space in my house. xD

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dondave

Digital

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ccraft: I prefer to actually own the things I buy. I will actually be able to leave my collection to my children where you can provide them with... a link to a site I guess. I'd also rather not have to zoom in or constantly have to move the "comic" around to be able to read it.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Man, since I started digital I have gotten more comics and gotten them cheaper than I did with paper. I have approximately 310 digital comics, if they weren't digital I would have boxes everywhere in my room...

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am among few who prefer digital comics, paper based gets torn, damaged, have to carry around everywhere i go.

Digital is just easily accessible.

Specially with the more modern Infinity Comics, digital are much fun to read and you get the thing in a much bigger size then a normal comics, a4 size image in paper based vs HD quality digital version.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx:

I wouldn't want my kids to inherent thousands of paper comic books, I mean what if they just sell them for cash or put them into storage because it's too much to keep around. Even though your not suppose to give people you comixlogy account I can see that changing in a few years, it could be just like Netflix, with a 3 or 4 person limit. Even though you don't own those movies you still get to watch them, right so why does it matter?

Your really complaining about the zoom in toggle!!! That thing prevents spoilers dude... I use that thing every time I read a comic.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper :3

I like displaying what I have, makes my room 'Pop' and stand out.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By IrishX

@ccraft: Yes, Zooming in is extremely annoying. Prevents spoilers?! From the "comic" you are in the middle of reading?! Ha ha ha.

That would be a good thing if they sell them for cash (how is that a bad thing?). Putting 'em into storage and saving them for their own kids to possibly make money is also not a bad thing. Again, you will leave nothing.... because you don't actually own anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

I'll take whatever I can get, but I like both for different reasons. Paper comics are nice in that you own an actual physical copy of the comic that you can share with people. Digital comics are nice because you can take screencaps and share awesome pictures.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx: Yeah it kinda does prevent you from seeing spoilers, have you ever read a comic and accidentally glanced on the next page?

That's nice, never knew a comic reader wouldn't care if someone sold their comic collection, but if they bend that corner they'll go crazy! lol

I "own" an account on comixology which makes easy access to my comic collection, and my comics will never get ruined. My kids, in the future, ever want to read comics would be able to do so with a few clicks on a device. It doesn't matter to me if I don't own the comics per sa, I still get to read them.

I don't know if it's just me but reading paper was a pain in the ass, from putting them into the comic protectors and taking them out. Pages kept sticking together, or the comic shop runs out of your comic.

Cold4NoReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer paper. I do collect the digital but only so I have means to go back and read the story in a more reasonable fashion. Since digital copies are weird in the rights of who "owns" the issue I obtain mine in other ways.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Digital...... Just the fact that I will never have to deal with a pull list again is worth it. My comics never sell out. If I want to drop a book I just don't buy it. If I want to read a book that's been out for a while I just buy it, no more hunting it down. No more long boxes. I can get my comics with out even getting out of bed........

I was going to write a reply stating my point of view, but @judasnixon already wrote what I was thinking perfectly. I agree with this 100%.

Also, the colors pop on the iPad much more than do on paper. The blacks are blacker and the other colors have more depth to them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I've tried digital comics several times, but it never felt right.

WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx said:

@ccraft: I prefer to actually own the things I buy. I will actually be able to leave my collection to my children where you can provide them with... a link to a site I guess. I'd also rather not have to zoom in or constantly have to move the "comic" around to be able to read it.

If you use Comixology and their apps - those aren't problems.They use a built in "reader" that progresses the story in an easily readable way . I understand your other point but just regarding the zoom thing you mentioned - it's not really like that.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

@war_killer: Man, since I started digital I have gotten more comics and gotten them cheaper than I did with paper. I have approximately 310 digital comics, if they weren't digital I would have boxes everywhere in my room...

My closet is full of comics, but I just recently bought a boat-load of New 52 comics for like half the price of what they are as a paper comic. What's even better is that I have complete access to them from any computer. It's very convenient.

WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper for me all the way. I see the appeal of digital comics, and further down the line I may change my mind. However, paying the same price to access a digital comic that I don't even own doesn't sit well with me.

I think the price thing is dependent on where you are. I'm from Australia and for me to buy a physical comic it'll cost me over $6 locally at least - sometimes a lot more. I can buy it digitally for $3.99 USD however (if it's a brand new main title issue), and depending on exchange rates, it might be less than that, so usually around about the same price - so for me it's cheaper.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CTG

By default, I go with digital. Just the fact that I can have 80-90% of my collection with me wherever I go is a huge plus. Additionally, I don't have to deal with long lines and storage. However, since I'm predominantly a Marvel reader and most of their paper versions include a bonus digital code (even trades), I'll buy the paper and redeem the code.

It also helps that I work a block away from Midtown Comics in NYC - so it's not a huge deal to hit the shop. Just stop in before work, pick up my copies and redeem the codes whenever I get a chance. If I had to go out of my way for paper versions, I probably wouldn't bother.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said, while I enjoy buying my comics digitally, I still enjoy buying my comics in hard/paperback trades as well.

Though I prefer digital, I do love hardcover trades.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By SupremeHyperion

Honestly though I enjoy both.... I prefer the paper book, due to my need and love for collecting, but If I can't make it to the comic shop or want to read on the fly I'll get the digital version (and if it's of my liking I'll pay again for the paper copy)

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper! While i can totally understand the reasoning behind digital, nothing imo is better than having a physical copy of your favorite book by your favorite artist/writer for your collection

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do have some digital ones, but I prefer paper.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gracetrack

Mainly for the nostalgia factor, I still prefer reading paper if I can and I have a lot of free time... which is rare these days.

For all-around convenience, I easily prefer digital now.

Other than that, a comic is a comic is a comic.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. It's nice having it actually in your hands. It's also a great feeling going through a long box and picking out the comic yourself. While digital is just convenient, and the sales!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paper. I love the smell of brand new books.

Paper! While i can totally understand the reasoning behind digital, nothing imo is better than having a physical copy of your favorite book by your favorite artist/writer for your collection

Paper easily!

The smell the texture it just triggers something magical.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I really don't prefer my comics one way or the other. I read and enjoy them all the same.

I buy most comics digitally though, its too convenient.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital. Cheaper, brighter, with no risk of messing with the condition or losing it.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

I like both, for my collection it's paper, for general reading it's digital. It just means that when I am on the train or heading to work, I can just jump on the ipad and read whatever I want, yeah sure i have doubles this way, but nothing will replace going into a comic shop and getting those comics you need to finish your collection or run.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

A comic is a comic. I pretty much switched over to digital out of convenience though.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital for me. I travel way to damn much so it's easier to move around, keep track of and buy since a comic shop isn't everywhere I go.

MrMiyagii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prefer paper because it seems more like a collection but can see a lot of benefits to digital comics.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@deathclown04 What do you mean "actual comic fans fans"? Do you not consider yourself one?

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bruxae

Paper, ofcourse.