#1 Posted by MurieC16 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

After watching The Dark Knight Rises I realized that the Avengers, eventhough great, could have been better if it was a little more mature and dark. I mean, it's almost a kid's movie against The Dark Knight lol. Now I'm not saying it's bad! I'm saying it was a little to happy and bright for MY TASTE!

SOUND OFF IN THE COMMENTS ON WHAT YOU THINK

#2 Posted by Cap10nate (2481 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. I loved the Avengers movie as a fun and light hearted experience. It didn't need to be a dark film nor do I think that it would have been a better film if it were darker. Nolan's view of the world works really well for his movies, but I think the Avengers did a great job of being enjoyable the whole way through with the humor that Whedon slipped in. I think everything from the subtlety of Cap handing Fury the $10 bill to the outright humor of Hulk hitting Thor or smashing Loki was handled very well. Everything doesn't need to be grim.

#3 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

They are two separate films and are great for what they did. Each has their own unique style and it played wonderfully for both genres.

#4 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Avengers succeeded the only way it could. If it had taken itself TOO seriously, it would have flopped. I normally prefer darker stories, but The Avengers worked perfectly as a fun, mostly lighthearted thrill ride.

#5 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

Second one is supposed to be Darker Deeper an more personal

#6 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

Meh. I loved the Avengers movie as a fun and light hearted experience. It didn't need to be a dark film nor do I think that it would have been a better film if it were darker. Nolan's view of the world works really well for his movies, but I think the Avengers did a great job of being enjoyable the whole way through with the humor that Whedon slipped in. I think everything from the subtlety of Cap handing Fury the $10 bill to the outright humor of Hulk hitting Thor or smashing Loki was handled very well. Everything doesn't need to be grim.

Pretty much my feelings. The Avengers film appealed to adults and children and while I'm sure kids saw TDKR I don't think it is what I would consider kid friendly infact I think it may have scarred a few.

#7 Posted by JediXMan (31026 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the Avengers... but I wouldn't have minded if it were darker. I say that about almost everything, though, so...

#8 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

Coulson died!!! How the heck is that not dark enough for you? I NEARLY CRIED MANLY TEARS!! the only reason I didn't was because of Stark's LMD comment and the Captain America cards thing....

also, why does everyone want everything dark? the world is dark as it is, what we need is larger than life heroes with colourful undertones that can inspires to be what we should - just like Superman once was in the Golden Age. Why even bother... all is lost these days

#9 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber said:

Second one is supposed to be Darker Deeper an more personal

Let's see Disney pull that off.

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13464 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish your spelling was a little more better and that your comment was a little more original -er. See what I did there?

#11 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

I wish your spelling was a little more better and that your comment was a little more original -er. See what I did there?

I seeed it!

#12 Posted by jinxuandi (595 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

I think the Avengers succeeded the only way it could. If it had taken itself TOO seriously, it would have flopped. I normally prefer darker stories, but The Avengers worked perfectly as a fun, mostly lighthearted thrill ride.

This. If the Avengers movie (and by extension, future movies in the MCU) tried to get too dark, it would have run the risk of becoming a parody of itself.

#13 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

"Darker/Grittier = Better" is subjective. IMHO it won't work with Avengers.

#14 Edited by Strider92 (16755 posts) - - Show Bio

TDKR and Avengers are two completely different films with completely different characters. Just because one theme works well on one doesn't mean it would on the other.

#15 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark doesn't equal more mature, and it certainly doesn't equal better.

#16 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually agree with the OP. It didn't have to be "Nolan" dark, but as I've stated before, I would have liked to at least felt threatened by the main villain, instead of him being used as comic-fodder. Yes, it was good (I guess) for what it was, but "What is was" was a kids film. I'm one of the minority that will never see why this movie was so popular.

#17 Posted by Liara (421 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that wouldn't work well for the Avengers. And the Batman movie wouldn't work as a happy and bright movie.

In my opinion, both movies had the right atmosphere.

#18 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't. I'm tired of this "let's go the dark and gritty route" move that studios are doing. Even the new Superman movie is taking obvious inspiration from Batman Begins. We need a balance but without Marvel, we wouldn't have any. And it worked for them on a massive scale.

#19 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

Dark doesn't equal more mature, and it certainly doesn't equal better.

QFT.

Dark has become a trend. People believe it's equivalent to "deep" or "non conformist". Makes me think about those goth teen agers in southpark.

#20 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator: Couldn't possibly agree more.

#21 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam: Mickey Mouse as a soviet x3

#22 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

They are two separate films and are great for what they did. Each has their own unique style and it played wonderfully for both genres.

This

#23 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it could've taken itself a little more seriously. i thought it was a okay movie. it didnt really impress me in really any way.

#24 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

TDKR and Avengers are too completely different films with completely different characters. Just because one theme works well on one doesn't mean it would on the other.

#25 Posted by Lvenger (20868 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Sums up my feelings on this. I have yet to see TDKR though.

#26 Edited by haydenclaireheroes (9204 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad that avengers and dark knight were different. Avengers worked better as more of a popcorn flick.

#27 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

They already had the movie planned out so I don't think a change was doable. I didn't really like avengers despite being well rated. This is because the avengers like many said was "silly" and lacked character development.A lot of people already said this. I don't like movie that take itself too serious so that's why a comic relief character is helpful.

The justice league movies will follow the tone and man of steel and it's going to be dark and gritty.

#28 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5804 posts) - - Show Bio

They both served their purpose. They showed Hollywood that these movies have amazing revenue potential. Now they will actually begin making comic's into movies and not movies into comics. It's the reason we got our Green Lanterns and Ghost Riders. The reason we almost got a Superman film starring Nick Cage. Now Hollywood will actually research for the characters perfect match, as far as casting goes. We will get better writers, and in the end, all get what we want. Believe me. Films are the new comics.

#29 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

Not every superhero movie needs to be darker and edgier in order to be great or better than it was. Batman is a dark character and so are his stories. The Avengers did not to be on par with or copy batman in terms of tone in order to be fantastic.

#30 Posted by The Stegman (25165 posts) - - Show Bio

You don't have to put the word "more" in front of the word "darker" just say "I wish the Avengers movie was a little darker" 

-Sincerely, The Grammar Nazi. 

Ps- I disagree, I think it was great the way it was.

#31 Posted by JonSmith (4002 posts) - - Show Bio

@MurieC16: Hey. Gotta question. When was the last time you read an Avengers book that was very dark and gritty? I know I haven't. So which one did you read? I have to assume you want it to be more dark and gritty because that fits the tone of the comics you've read, so what issues did you read with a dark and gritty Avengers?

Personally, I thought the Avengers fit the tone of the comics perfectly, and in a comic based superhero movie, that's EXACTLY what you want.

#32 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure why everything has to be dark and gritty.

#33 Posted by Rumble Man (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

I would politely say no

angst does not instantly give more depth into movies

#34 Posted by FearTheLiving (3702 posts) - - Show Bio

It was perfect the way it was. You want dark a gritty watch Batman. Avengers is a movie that's fun to watch and makes you have a good time, it has it's darker sides sure but for the most part it's there to just enjoy the movie.

Dark and Gritty =/= Good Movie

#35 Posted by SaintOfKillers (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Replace "darker" with a better villain for me. Loki never felt like a real threat and the chitauri army was defeated too easily

#36 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@MurieC16: Enough darkness for you on the 20th? I sure as hell had enough. I live 20 minutes from that theatre. I don't need to see that kind of darkness in my movies.

#37 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: Haha, same here.

#38 Posted by Lonestar9 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

No way, the Avengers movie was just plain fun to watch. It doesn't need to be 'darker'. That's why we have other films like Batman that are. I don't see how Avengers being darker would have helped it out at all.