I wish more females read comics.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#201  Edited By akbogert

@SamRevlon: Not to downplay the role that gender had in your experience (because I'm sure that was a factor), but I've found my comic store experiences as a beginner looking for advice to be equally uninviting. It's part of the reason I've just decided to stick with digital comics reading -- no desire to deal with such standoffish employees and owners. Obviously (as this thread proves) that's not how all shop employees behave, but unfortunately it's a prevalent behavior in my own experiences.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@akbogert said:

@SamRevlon: Not to downplay the role that gender had in your experience (because I'm sure that was a factor), but I've found my comic store experiences as a beginner looking for advice to be equally uninviting. It's part of the reason I've just decided to stick with digital comics reading -- no desire to deal with such standoffish employees and owners. Obviously (as this thread proves) that's not how all shop employees behave, but unfortunately it's a prevalent behavior in my own experiences.

So another issue maybe that comic book fans are resistant to new people and those they see as outsiders?
akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By akbogert

@Nelomaxwell: Quite possibly, and of course women would make up a large percentage of those perceived as outsiders.

That said, I'm not so sure it's as simple as "comic book fans," because I've been quite welcome here and I've yet to have anyone tell me to shut up or go away even though I just started reading around New Year's. Maybe I just have some aura of sounding knowledgeable? I don't know. But I willingly admit to being a n00b and ask a lot of seemingly obvious questions -- I get reasonable honest replies on CV, but got very little of anything while asking similar questions in actual shops. I went into one somewhat larger store which had four or five employees and was there for at least a half-hour browsing things. I was legitimately not even acknowledged.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@akbogert: Which store?
akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By akbogert

@Nelomaxwell: That particular store was Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie, NY.

But like I said, it is not the only store I've had bad experiences in.

For fairness' sake, I did not feel half as uncomfortable when I visited Midtown Comics near Grand Central Terminal. I asked some pretty ignorant questions, but other than a chuckle I got helpful answers and ended up walking out with $120 worth of stuff. It really does make a difference ^_^

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@akbogert said:

@Nelomaxwell: That particular store was Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie, NY.

But like I said, it is not the only store I've had bad experiences in.

For fairness' sake, I did not feel half as uncomfortable when I visited Midtown Comics near Grand Central Terminal. I asked some pretty ignorant questions, but other than a chuckle I got helpful answers and ended up walking out with $120 worth of stuff. It really does make a difference ^_^

I think that has to do with setting as well.
akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By akbogert

@Nelomaxwell: Perhaps? But I just don't understand any store which can ignore or be rude to its customers, and that has happened to me multiple times, all of which in comic stores specifically. And I'm not the only one. So overall it seems that comic employees are more likely to be standoffish than they ought to be.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#208  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@Nelomaxwell said:

I think that has to do with setting as well.

Possible.

Analph Comics in Zurich is, in my opinion, quite dark and when I'm there I don't feel "at home", that's one reason why I don't really like to go there.

The people are nice, but it's just too dark =/

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@akbogert said:

@Nelomaxwell: Perhaps? But I just don't understand any store which can ignore or be rude to its customers, and that has happened to me multiple times, all of which in comic stores specifically. And I'm not the only one. So overall it seems that comic employees are more likely to be standoffish than they ought to be.

It's the "This is ours and you're uninitiated" mentality
JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#210  Edited By JimTheSurfer

@Captain_Yesterday said:

I can see it now...

Somewhere on the internet there is a scrapbooking site and there is a thread...

"I wish more men were into scrapbooking"

...Or insert your own female dominated hobby...

You have a point...

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#211  Edited By tupiaz

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@tupiaz:

The series is good unless you have an issue reading a female character written by a female.

Why would I. Seems like you want to put certain opinions on me that I don't have.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I'm assuming you are a lady? If so I would like your opinion about how you see the comic culture. You can probably give a better picture what how it is to be a female in the comic culture than a male.

I am. What would you like to know?

It's probably better if you ask me questions, just so I can be more specific about what aspects you're curious about.

Do you see the comic culture as sexist and should comics be made more for women or should you just hire the best writers to do the best stories? If the comic culture is sexist how is it and what should change?

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Squares said:

Your argument was that you'd like more females to read comics for a) diversity and b) more female writers, right?

I'm good with diversity, but diversity for the sake of diversity is kind of meaningless, which is why I felt that your second point was a bit more...well, meaningful.

I don't feel writers should be judged on gender, period, therefore more female writers is kind of an iffy idea to me. Just hire the good ones, people, it's not that hard.

Point taken, depends on what you consider "Good" now doesn't it? I personally like different perspectives than my own, I always like to share and have things shared with me. So maybe this also a personal choice.

Those are examples for crying out load! My point is I don't mind female writers. I just only want the good writers. I don't what female writers just to get female writers. What can female writers do for comics that male can. The only thing I can come up with be that the stories would show females more realistic . But I guess you are for positive discrimination.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@tupiaz: I'm not for any discrimination which is why I have a problem with most comic fans.
tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By tupiaz

@Nelomaxwell said:

@tupiaz: I'm not for any discrimination which is why I have a problem with most comic fans.

But you want more female writers because they are females? That is positive discrimination (affirmative action)..

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

But you want more female writers because they are females? That is positive discrimination (affirmative action)..

What I really want is more females reading comics and more diverse stories in comics period. Which comics seem to be lacking mainly due to fans not liking change.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#215  Edited By SC  Moderator

**A white American male aged 14 to 30 buys and reads a comic book**

**People assume that that person brought that book because he is a white American male aged 14 to 30 buys and reads a comic book made for white American males aged 14 to 30**

**Doesn't consider that the comic may have a range of elements that vary in appeal to a white American male aged 14 to 30, a white guy in general, a male, an American, a non American, a woman, a young girl, a old guy, an Asian girl who is a bit of a tomboy, and that comic companies are (trying to be) colorblind except for the color green but also are human and therefore have variable range of success at hooking in all types of people**

The businesses and industries that succeed today? They appeal to a broad range of people. Yeah no some people literally really don't know that they may enjoy hundreds of different items and products out there because they are too busy doing other stuff by the industries and businesses that got to them first because they were hungry for more money and more customers and a broader fan base and educated themselves and learned how to tap into markets not traditionally considered gold. Instead of just kicking up their heels and concluding because 20 years ago a certain type of person wasn't into comics it must mean those types of people won';t ever be into comics. I mean obviously its a much safer bet to just print off dozens of variant covers in gold and silver foil and draw all characters with 4 meter wide chests and biceps.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By tupiaz

@Nelomaxwell said:

@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

What I really want is more females reading comics and more diverse stories in comics period. Which comics seem to be lacking mainly due to fans not liking change.

Well you have to look in the underground. Youn wont found that in mainstream comics and therefore hardly ever at Marvel or DC. Maybe some vertigo or Image comics but that is the most mainstream you can go. No matter the media the change and new ideas comes from the underground.

SamRevlon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By SamRevlon

@akbogert:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think I recall an episode from the Simspons when a new comic book shop had opened up right across the old comic book shop and was putting the old one out of busy. There was a lot of hype but part of one of the catch phrases was that "they weren't mean" and other stuff like that.

As for what the original poster said, I hope some people can get off the butthurt witch hunt that seems to be a growing trend of 'that's sexist or not'. Some people read way too deep into context and stuff. I agree, I wish there were a lot of females who read comics because it would help churn out a lot of female writers and ideas. And honestly a different gender can bring something different to the table. I think a lot of it though just steams from the fact that comics are not mainstream [ certain superhero characters are ] but I mean there's not a ton of comic shops, so its still a niche market. I know a lot of fans would just die if others knew and liked what they liked, suddenly they are not the 1%. But really if your a fan and enjoy the series, you should enjoy it regardless of who likes it and who doesn't.

So being that there's a niche and seeing as you still have elite fans and a lot of unwelcoming shops. Yeah, I think the biggest issue is just bad business practice.

Are all comic book shops like that? No, but there are a lot of 'em.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@tupiaz said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@tupiaz:

The series is good unless you have an issue reading a female character written by a female.

Why would I. Seems like you want to put certain opinions on me that I don't have.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I'm assuming you are a lady? If so I would like your opinion about how you see the comic culture. You can probably give a better picture what how it is to be a female in the comic culture than a male.

It's probably better if you ask me questions, just so I can be more specific about what aspects you're curious about.

Do you see the comic culture as sexist and should comics be made more for women or should you just hire the best writers to do the best stories? If the comic culture is sexist how is it and what should change?

I don't know about sexist, but it definitely seems a bit male orientated. There does seem to be some sexist elements, such as the fact that comic female comic book fans are dismissed as being 'fake nerd girls'. I feel that promoting female characters better, such as having more even ratios of male to female characters in teams, and having as many female characters with solo titles as male characters would give women a more obvious role in comic books, which may attract more female readers in. By having men and women be as important as each other in comic books might make it seem less of a men only club, and women may feel more comfortable getting involved. Hiring more female writers/artists would do the same thing. If women are seen to be creating comics, it shows that it's not just for men, thus potentially bringing in more female readers.

Just an idea though. I don't work in the comic industry, so I don't actually know how it works. I think what I said makes some sense though.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

Well you have to look in the underground. Youn wont found that in mainstream comics and therefore hardly ever at Marvel or DC. Maybe some vertigo or Image comics but that is the most mainstream you can go. No matter the media the change and new ideas comes from the underground.

I stopped reading Marvel and DC a while ago. I only read Image, vertigo ect. And it's hard for  people to get visibility when comic book companies use financial bully tactics like insisting on having 52 books (most of which suck) on shelves because they know that fans are so brainwashed they'll buy what they know. Or like having a number of titles of the same name's with A's and X''s all over them that also suck just to push people out of the market. I've seen it happen and it still does.
tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By tupiaz

@Nelomaxwell said:

:
I stopped reading Marvel and DC a while ago. I only read Image, vertigo ect. And it's hard for people to get visibility when comic book companies use financial bully tactics like insisting on having 52 books (most of which suck) on shelves because they know that fans are so brainwashed they'll buy what they know. Or like having a number of titles of the same name's with A's and X''s all over them that also suck just to push people out of the market. I've seen it happen and it still does.

The 52 is not about bulling. it is about don't have titles that don't sell and keep it more simple. Also there is a lot of rotation so it is possible to lesser characters to get a book. Why keep book on shelves when they don't sell?

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I don't know about sexist, but it definitely seems a bit male orientated. There does seem to be some sexist elements, such as the fact that comic female comic book fans are dismissed as being 'fake nerd girls'. I feel that promoting female characters better, such as having more even ratios of male to female characters in teams, and having as many female characters with solo titles as male characters would give women a more obvious role in comic books, which may attract more female readers in. By having men and women be as important as each other in comic books might make it seem less of a men only club, and women may feel more comfortable getting involved. Hiring more female writers/artists would do the same thing. If women are seen to be creating comics, it shows that it's not just for men, thus potentially bringing in more female readers.

Just an idea though. I don't work in the comic industry, so I don't actually know how it works. I think what I said makes some sense though.

However since there is fewer female readers is there then a need for more female characters? If there was a lot a female readers and no female solo titles I could understand the problem. But the few female solo books is selling moderate at best. It doesn't seem there is a need for it. Now the company could be better marketing with female writers/artist and characters. But since there hardly ever has been a female comic book character that has sold like the top male characters. Not even Wonder Woman. How many books does she has? Two? That is not that impressive IMO

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

:
I stopped reading Marvel and DC a while ago. I only read Image, vertigo ect. And it's hard for people to get visibility when comic book companies use financial bully tactics like insisting on having 52 books (most of which suck) on shelves because they know that fans are so brainwashed they'll buy what they know. Or like having a number of titles of the same name's with A's and X''s all over them that also suck just to push people out of the market. I've seen it happen and it still does.

The 52 is not about bulling. it is about don't have titles that don't sell and keep it more simple. Also there is a lot of rotation so it is possible to lesser characters to get a book. Why keep book on shelves when they don't sell?

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

However since there is fewer female readers is there then a need for more female characters? If there was a lot a female readers and no female solo titles I could understand the problem. But the few female solo books is selling moderate at best. It doesn't seem there is a need for it. Now the company could be better marketing with female writers/artist and characters. But since there hardly ever has been a female comic book character that has sold like the top male characters. Not even Wonder Woman. How many books does she has? Two? That is not that impressive IMO

Female characters aren't just for female readers though. My point was that women and men should be represented as equally as possible, as that's how it is in real life, and that it might attract some more female readers if it was more equal, rather than male dominated. But, the female solo titles would possibly sell better if more women were reading comics. I don't know exactly how everyones minds work, but I suppose it's possible that some men might stay away from female solo titles, and some women might stay away from male solo titles.

If there were as many solo female titles as solo male titles, comic books would probably be seen more as something for everyone, rather than as it is now, being seen more as a male environment. If it is that people are more likely to follow characters of their own sex, then male titles are probably selling more, because more men are buying comics than women.

I thought Wonder Woman only had one title at the moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@tupiaz said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@tupiaz:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Squares said:

Your argument was that you'd like more females to read comics for a) diversity and b) more female writers, right?

I'm good with diversity, but diversity for the sake of diversity is kind of meaningless, which is why I felt that your second point was a bit more...well, meaningful.

I don't feel writers should be judged on gender, period, therefore more female writers is kind of an iffy idea to me. Just hire the good ones, people, it's not that hard.

Point taken, depends on what you consider "Good" now doesn't it? I personally like different perspectives than my own, I always like to share and have things shared with me. So maybe this also a personal choice.

Those are examples for crying out load! My point is I don't mind female writers. I just only want the good writers. I don't what female writers just to get female writers. What can female writers do for comics that male can. The only thing I can come up with be that the stories would show females more realistic . But I guess you are for positive discrimination.

Wow, jumping to conclusions much? Learn to spell before you start attacking people, genius.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Squares said:

@Nelomaxwell: Yes, but why would the reader be reading it if it didn't interest them?

I know that's kind of idealized, but I'm talking about fiction here, so I'm hoping it's at least somewhat valid :P

They wouldn't unless maybe the cover looked appealing. Which was my whole point about changing the face of comics. Does that make any sense to you?

Hm. Yeah, I think so. Fair point.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@tupiaz

I'm not sure how you don't recognize how big businesses have been destroying smaller ones for years. It's called flooding the Market. Walmart does it all the time Build a bigger cheaper product everywhere to push out mom and pop stores who have to charge more just to keep up.
Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Jorgevy

you need to sell comics in places that females actually go to and are not afraid to enter. that's the real problem with the industry, just not really caring about the comics after they've been shipped. they could gain so much more if they attack new places to sell those comics; regions, establishments, services.....

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By tupiaz

@Squares:Who I'm attacking? BTW spelling and intellect has nothing to do with each other and since English is the third language I learned I believe I do rather well. For your information I study history at the university.

@Nelomaxwell: Did I say it didn't. Luckily I have never been to a Wallmart, don't feel for it either nor that I have missed something.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Didn't say that female characters where for females only. My point was that few female characters can keep sales high enough so that the two big wants them to have an ongoing (around the 20K sells mark).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@Squares:Who I'm attacking? BTW spelling and intellect has nothing to do with each other and since English is the third language I learned I believe I do rather well. For your information I study history at the

university

Ah, third language, that's fairly impressive. That would also explain why you completely misinterpreted my original post. Nothing about what I said suppourted discrimination of any kind- in fact, your inferring that I was in suppourt of it makes it sound like you're the one who thinks female writers can't be good....

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@Squares said:

@tupiaz said:

@Squares:Who I'm attacking? BTW spelling and intellect has nothing to do with each other and since English is the third language I learned I believe I do rather well. For your information I study history at the

university

Ah, third language, that's fairly impressive. That would also explain why you completely misinterpreted my original post. Nothing about what I said suppourted discrimination of any kind- in fact, your inferring that I was in suppourt of it makes it sound like you're the one who thinks female writers can't be good....

That's what I thought he meant.
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@Squares:Who I'm attacking? BTW spelling and intellect has nothing to do with each other and since English is the third language I learned I believe I do rather well. For your information I study history at the university.

@Nelomaxwell: Did I say it didn't. Luckily I have never been to a Wallmart, don't feel for it either nor that I have missed something.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Didn't say that female characters where for females only. My point was that few female characters can keep sales high enough so that the two big wants them to have an ongoing (around the 20K sells mark).

There are quite a few male solo titles being outsold by female solo titles.

Grifter, Blue Beetle, Savage Hawkman, Deathstroke, Batwing, Frankenstein: Agent Of Shade and Fury Max were last month outsold by the current lowest selling female solo title, Red She-Hulk.

Also below the 20,000 copy mark are Captain Marvel, Phantom Stranger, and Green Arrow. Green Arrow, Deathstroke and Hawkman are pretty big names, and yet they can't make sell 20,000 copies, while the lowest selling female solo title above 20,000, Supergirl, sold 30,350 copies last month.

And at 72,470, copies, Batgirl outsold Nightwing, Aquaman, Captain America, Indestructible Hulk, Batman The Dark Knight, Deadpool, Iron Man, Superman, Thor, Flash and whatever else was outsold by Wonder Womans 40,105 copies.

So some female characters can, and do, outsell even the biggest male characters in comic books.

Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

My girlfriend reads the occasional comic book. She even went to London Super Comic Con with me last weekend.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Nelomaxwell

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

Grifter, Blue Beetle, Savage Hawkman, Deathstroke, Batwing, Frankenstein: Agent Of Shade and Fury Max were last month outsold by the current lowest selling female solo title, Red She-Hulk.

Also below the 20,000 copy mark are Captain Marvel, Phantom Stranger, and Green Arrow. Green Arrow, Deathstroke and Hawkman are pretty big names, and yet they can't make sell 20,000 copies, while the lowest selling female solo title above 20,000, Supergirl, sold 30,350 copies last month.

And at 72,470, copies, Batgirl outsold Nightwing, Aquaman, Captain America, Indestructible Hulk, Batman The Dark Knight, Deadpool, Iron Man, Superman, Thor, Flash and whatever else was outsold by Wonder Womans 40,105 copies.

So some female characters can, and do, outsell even the biggest male characters in comic books.

I like figures.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nelomaxwell said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

I like figures.

Me too. It's interesting seeing how things are selling.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By lykopis

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

I like figures.

Very cool information.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

I like figures.

Very cool information.

I get figures from here, if you're interested in looking into that sort of thing: http://www.comichron.com/

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By tupiaz

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

Many of those titles are being canceled (on o of my mind Grifter, Blue Beetle Hawkman and Deathstroke) also Green Arrow has gotten a lot of hatred for being written bad. Let us see what happens when Jeff Lemire gets his run going. I hink that would boost the sales.72K is a good strong title. WW at 40K is when you think about how big an icon see is pretty low. I know these numbers are some of the best for years, which is just sad. I wasn't saying that there weren't female characters that could outsell some male characters. My point was that the big two don't seems to be interested in doing ongoing female and I personally have a hard time see female characters that don't have a title at the moment tha could sell enough to have an ongoing. However this is field where my knowledge is limited.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By tupiaz

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Squares said:

@tupiaz said:

university

Nope my point has from the begging been that I would rather have a good male writer than a bad female writer. Because I just want good stories. This means I also rather have a good female rather than a bad writer or a good black than a white writer and so on. My point was that just because you are female doesn't you should get o be a writer in comics. If you get a ton of bad female writers it will just make the feelings towards females in comics worse. Of cause some topics will be easier for females to deal with in a more serious maner the could give a better view of female characters. Which sadly in comics a often filled with clichés. Like a black or Latino writer could deal with racism better than a white because he/she have probably dealt with it. But you need to be able to express your experience and feelings or else it ain't worth much. My feeling is also that withes overrepresented in comics. Personally I don't see it as a problem it must be up to the individuals to figure out what they want to have as hobbies.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Nelomaxwell

@tupiaz said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Squares said:

@tupiaz said:

university

Nope my point has from the begging been that I would rather have a good male writer than a bad female writer. Because I just want good stories. This means I also rather have a good female rather than a bad writer or a good black than a white writer and so on. My point was that just because you are female doesn't you should get o be a writer in comics. If you get a ton of bad female writers it will just make the feelings towards females in comics worse. Of cause some topics will be easier for females to deal with in a more serious maner the could give a better view of female characters. Which sadly in comics a often filled with clichés. Like a black or Latino writer could deal with racism better than a white because he/she have probably dealt with it. But you need to be able to express your experience and feelings or else it ain't worth much. My feeling is also that withes overrepresented in comics. Personally I don't see it as a problem it must be up to the individuals to figure out what they want to have as hobbies.

The problem with your argument is assuming that the writers will be bad. So this is a guilty until proven innocent kind of thing?

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By lykopis

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Thank you! I am very interested, I really appreciate it.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Thank you! I am very interested, I really appreciate it.

You're welcome. :)

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By tupiaz

@Nelomaxwell: Nope. If the female is good let her write a book or two. It is just that I don't believe there is that many to choose from. Not because female writers but because females aren't that interested in comics. So what I'm saying is that you shouldn't just hire a comic book writer because she is a female but because she is a god writer. If you hire a lot of bad female writers you will just harm the ones that a doing a good job. Neither female writers nor female readers (or male for that matter) will benefit from getting bad female writers and it wont get more females into comics. The thing is I don't know if there is a good female writer (or artist) out there that wants to make comics (because there are a lot of female writers that writes books or movies and artist that makes art) and if there aren't any well then the industry doesn't need ant female writers or artist.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Twentyfive

I wish more everyone read comics.

atonemented

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By atonemented

There are probably less females reading comics because of an established internalized misogyny associated with geek culture. Bummer.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#243  Edited By thehummingbird

well the writing for comics in general right now is pretty awful that i have almost quit reading comics other than some dark horse titles.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@thehummingbird said:

well the writing for comics in general right now is pretty awful that i have almost quit reading comics other than some dark horse titles.

Gonna disagree, unless I had some mega rad indy fan to educate me.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#245  Edited By RedQueen

@Nelomaxwell said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@tupiaz said:

I like figures.

Me too....

But not that one. Shame really, it's getting really good.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By z3ro180

@RedQueen you have red in your name but it s couloir red blue...what magic is this :D

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Nelomaxwell

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

@thehummingbird said:

Gonna disagree, unless I had some mega rad indy fan to educate me.

There read Saga. Now!

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@Nelomaxwell: reads Masks instead

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points