I've just read my first comic...

ComicNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In short, I go to a small gamestore to buy Battlefield 4, and they happen to be giving free comics to those who purchase something. So i'm looking through the pile, and the guy suggests part 7 of Marvel Civil War. I go home & read it, and now I want to start reading comics. I've been lurking through this website, gaining knowledge for like 6 months ever since I saw CitizenBane's Batman vs Superman blog.

So suggest any cool comics to start off pls (and where to get them...).

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Thor's Marvel now series. Are there any specific characters you like or want to read ?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Well these comics can be find at any comic store. Nova Annihilation, The New 52 Flash, Infinity, New Avengers Vol 1, New Avengers vol 3, Secret Invasion, Flashpoint and the Flash Rebirth.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Which characters do you like? Or do you just want to read good stories?

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends on who you want to read about.

ComicNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think there's a comic shop near me :( . So what websites should I go to? I've heard Thor's series, Superior-Spiderman, Injustice, and New-52 Aquaman are good. But the problem is that I only have basic knowledge on them (I know spiderman died and Dr. Ock is in his body).

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VoodooPenguin

@kgb725: I've been looking to get into Thor. Does anybody else know if starting at Thor NOW is a good place?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And you joined CV already? wow.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

ComicNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ComicNoob
PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@princearagorn1: What do you mean?

people usually read dozens, if not hundreds, of comics before they decide to comment on forums..

Anyway, welcome to the vine :)

As for recommendation, current series Thor: The God of thunder is a very good point to start with thor. It's one of the best on going series, and has only fifteen issues. So you'll catch up in no time.

As for DC, you can start at any new 52 volume with issue 0-1. Considering it's a complete relaunch, you won't have too much trouble with continuity. I'd say start with a group, say, justice league (which is a really enjoyable title), and then follow individual characters you like. If you like superman, pick superman's individual volume, or you like batman and pick up his series, or if you like flash, jump onto flash issue 1.

Enjoy!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@comicnoob: If you're looking for something out-of the norm try Saga by Image Comics. Its an absolute brilliant series (probably the best ongoing atm of all comics) and is only 14 or 15 issues in so you can catch up easily.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Depends on what character you like?

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Batman: Hush is a good place to start. Or Batman: Year One. But if you want to go for something completely different and out of the norm, Paul Pope's Battling Boy is awesome!

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bigtewell

if you dont have a comicbook store near you try comixology. they have pretty much any comic you could want and its not exspensive. they have 99cent sales all the time too. personally i reccommend fables its a great series and its not too complicated to get into like most comics

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Find a local comic book store first. I will assume you know what an ongoing is. If you don't just ask.

Here are 3 ongoings I suggest:

• Thor: God of Thunder (Marvel; starting from issue 1 if possible)
  • X-O Manowar (Valiant; starting from issue 1 if possible)
  • Quantum & Woody (Should be able to start from issue 1 easily)

If you want to get trade paperbacks/hardcovers (collected issues) here is one I highly recommend:

• X-O Manowar Volume 1 Hardcover (Collects the first 14 issues; good price too)

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicnoob: do you prefer digital or print? www.mycomicshop.com has a huge selection to order from if interested in print

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Bloodshot and Hard Corps

Eternal Warrior

AllStar Superman (Must read, its the best comic in the universe)

Kick-Ass

Walking Dead

Invincible

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TTBA's List of Recommendations

• The Flash N52
  • Justice League N52
  • Aquaman N52
  • X-O Manowar
  • Blackest Night ( DC Comics Event )
  • Brightest Day ( DC Comics Event )
  • TMNT
  • The Flash: Rebirth
  • The Secret Six ( Vol. 1 - 6 )

I've tried to put a bunch of stuff on here that I enjoyed, and a good portion of it is from DC so I'm sorry for that, it was the company I was exposed to when I first got into comics so I've read more of their stuff than any other company.

Some of the things on here you'd have to look online for or in a store that has a lot of back issues. Amazon is a pretty decent place to find collected editions for things though.

I'm glad to see that you've got interested in the world of comics. You're in for one wild ride and I hope you enjoy your stay here on the Vine'. I myself have gotten into comics only a year ago, so I'm pretty new too!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Try out DC's New 52 and Marvel's Marvel NOW to get started in the awesome world of comics.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously there are many many comic books out there and several people have opinions about what they like and therefore they will suggest to you. I have been reading comics for over 25 years and will give anything a try. That's my advice to you...give a few books a try and if you don't like it don't worry about it. Maybe you will find several that you love and will continue to read. I have certain creators that I enjoy, so I always give their books the first look. Don't be afraid to explore all areas of the industry. Someone else mentioned Saga, which is an amazing series, but probably not everyone will enjoy it. Valiant has many titles that are highly acclaimed. Don't think you have to read only Marvel or DC titles is the point. Just make sure you are enjoying what you are doing or the purpose is defeated.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor : God Of Thunder

ComicNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blazinasian112: I don't mind either, but i'd probably prefer digital because of immediateness.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I suggest reading trade paper backs, these are collections of collected comics that are part of 1 story.
Thor: God of thunder the godbutcher and thor god of thunder the godbomb are available for purchase.
what do you like, what characters do you want to read?

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicnoob: you can visit http://www.comixology.com/ and create an account to download digitally. I have the App on my ipad and read every comic on that. Welcome to the world of comics. I started out reading Marvel Avengers. Secret Invasion and Civil War are good value and good stories.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@comicnoob: I´d suggest the site bookdepository.co.uk to order TPB´s (trade paperbacks)

They are the cheapest way I´ve found.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marionettegeist
  • Batman: Year One
  • The Sandman
  • Watchmen
  • Black Orchid
  • All-Star Superman
ComicNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ComicNoob
emad_ishtiaque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are just starting, start with the first comics in dc new 52. It hasnt been long since the reboot happened and this way you will be up to date as much as anyone else in new 52 and it has some great story lines.

I suggest going through Flash new 52, Bat family comics (batman, bat girl, nightwing, catwoman etc). I liked reading swamp thing and aquaman too.

Reply back to my post if you have any questions! :)

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd recommend Flash's New 52 series as well as Aquaman's New 52 series.