#1 Edited by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

Starting with Batwing issue 20, I've been getting everything from Batwing that I wanted from Cyborg.

• A handsome lead
  • Great writing
  • a tumultuous father/son relationship
  • A hero with initiative and a fun-loving, adventurous personality
  • Lots and lots of cool gadgets, enemies, and locales

Meanwhile, Cyborg collects dust. The irony. Anyhoo, you guys should pick up Batwing if you aren't already.

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

But what about people who don't care about Batwing and want to read about Cyborg? Are they really similar enough that this will do?

#3 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio
@v_scarlotte_rose said:

But what about people who don't care about Batwing and want to read about Cyborg? Are they really similar enough that this will do?

You can't just replace a character because you found one who's somewhat similar, but you can get into a new character, such as Batwing, since Cyborg currently doesn't have a solo title.

#4 Edited by Black_Claw (2886 posts) - - Show Bio

Those are some really good points you made Captain13. But isn't Batwing in danger of being cancelled?

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: The sales figures for #19 haven't been released yet, but before that it had been selling under the danger point of 20,000 for ages, #18 selling just 12,084 copies. Other titles that sell better than Batwing have been cancelled, but Batwing seems to be getting special treatment for some reason.

@awesam:

You could be right, but I imagine most Cyborg fans will still want a solo series. I'm not personally a fan, but I do think it's kind of unfair for all the 'founding' members of The Justice League to have solo titles except him.

#6 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5868 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the new Batpanther I mean Batwing anygood?

#7 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Cyborg doesn't have the fan base to back it up. I myself am not a fan. Well, I liked him in the Teen Titans cartoon and I also like him a bit in Justice League, but I'd never read a solo title. He's a good character, but he's too boring, in my opinion.

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: I don't really know much about him. I just thought it would have been good to have a solo series for each one for anyone wanting to read more about particular members.

#9 Posted by Queso6p4 (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

From the standpoint of personal preference/taste, I have to disagree. Batwing started off okay but degenerated into a mess. I think the only reason DC has kept it going this long is so it can tout being "diverse." It seems that Cyborg is actually stepping up and being written as a helpful team player in JL. Plus...

@awesam said:
@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Edit

You can't just replace a character because you found one who's somewhat similar, but you can get into a new character, such as Batwing, since Cyborg currently doesn't have a solo title.

#10 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been considering buying issue #19 and #20 because I'm in love with the new character design for Batwing. I'm just not sure about the quality of the writing.

#11 Posted by akbogert (3193 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems some people did not notice that there's a brand new Batwing as of the most recent issue -- a move which suggests that DC hopes sales will pick up now. They don't do a major change like this to a book and then cancel it immediately thereafter. That's not a nod to OP, but several of the comments here.

As for why they'd bother to try to revive a book that was dying (when they don't usually do that), who knows.

However the notion of one character negating the need for another character is a bit ridiculous (and often can be seen as offensive to anyone who was a fan of the supposedly-unnecessary character; especially when their chance at spotlight is taken by a new character). While the similarities OP brings up may all be reasons that people might have wanted a Cyborg book, one important difference completely undermines the whole notion of this thread.

You know what the Batwing book doesn't have, which means there's still a "need" for a Cyborg book?

Cyborg.

#12 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the new Batpanther I mean Batwing anygood?

Well said!

@awesam said:
@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Edit

I agree!

#13 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg is a character that's been going on since the 60s. He's integrated himself into the DC Universe. No way should he be tossed to the side for a character that may not even last long.

#14 Posted by sagejonathan (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

You make good points but I Batwing is not Cyborg. They are still different and Cyborg, being a great character and a core member of the Justice League, still needs his own book.