I think the new Batwing Negates The Need For a Cyborg Book

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

Starting with Batwing issue 20, I've been getting everything from Batwing that I wanted from Cyborg.

• A handsome lead
  • Great writing
  • a tumultuous father/son relationship
  • A hero with initiative and a fun-loving, adventurous personality
  • Lots and lots of cool gadgets, enemies, and locales

Meanwhile, Cyborg collects dust. The irony. Anyhoo, you guys should pick up Batwing if you aren't already.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

But what about people who don't care about Batwing and want to read about Cyborg? Are they really similar enough that this will do?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AweSam
@v_scarlotte_rose said:

But what about people who don't care about Batwing and want to read about Cyborg? Are they really similar enough that this will do?

You can't just replace a character because you found one who's somewhat similar, but you can get into a new character, such as Batwing, since Cyborg currently doesn't have a solo title.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#4  Edited By Black_Claw

Those are some really good points you made Captain13. But isn't Batwing in danger of being cancelled?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: The sales figures for #19 haven't been released yet, but before that it had been selling under the danger point of 20,000 for ages, #18 selling just 12,084 copies. Other titles that sell better than Batwing have been cancelled, but Batwing seems to be getting special treatment for some reason.

@awesam:

You could be right, but I imagine most Cyborg fans will still want a solo series. I'm not personally a fan, but I do think it's kind of unfair for all the 'founding' members of The Justice League to have solo titles except him.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Is the new Batpanther I mean Batwing anygood?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Cyborg doesn't have the fan base to back it up. I myself am not a fan. Well, I liked him in the Teen Titans cartoon and I also like him a bit in Justice League, but I'd never read a solo title. He's a good character, but he's too boring, in my opinion.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: I don't really know much about him. I just thought it would have been good to have a solo series for each one for anyone wanting to read more about particular members.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

From the standpoint of personal preference/taste, I have to disagree. Batwing started off okay but degenerated into a mess. I think the only reason DC has kept it going this long is so it can tout being "diverse." It seems that Cyborg is actually stepping up and being written as a helpful team player in JL. Plus...

@awesam said:
@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Edit

You can't just replace a character because you found one who's somewhat similar, but you can get into a new character, such as Batwing, since Cyborg currently doesn't have a solo title.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been considering buying issue #19 and #20 because I'm in love with the new character design for Batwing. I'm just not sure about the quality of the writing.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

It seems some people did not notice that there's a brand new Batwing as of the most recent issue -- a move which suggests that DC hopes sales will pick up now. They don't do a major change like this to a book and then cancel it immediately thereafter. That's not a nod to OP, but several of the comments here.

As for why they'd bother to try to revive a book that was dying (when they don't usually do that), who knows.

However the notion of one character negating the need for another character is a bit ridiculous (and often can be seen as offensive to anyone who was a fan of the supposedly-unnecessary character; especially when their chance at spotlight is taken by a new character). While the similarities OP brings up may all be reasons that people might have wanted a Cyborg book, one important difference completely undermines the whole notion of this thread.

You know what the Batwing book doesn't have, which means there's still a "need" for a Cyborg book?

Cyborg.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By evilvegeta74

Is the new Batpanther I mean Batwing anygood?

Well said!

@awesam said:
@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Edit

I agree!

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyborg is a character that's been going on since the 60s. He's integrated himself into the DC Universe. No way should he be tossed to the side for a character that may not even last long.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You make good points but I Batwing is not Cyborg. They are still different and Cyborg, being a great character and a core member of the Justice League, still needs his own book.