I Review The Lowest Selling Comic Of The Month: October 2014.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Hi Everyone.

I'm not even going to try and guarantee that I can get back into a regular schedule anymore as my free time is rather unpredictable. I have four review comics ready to be reviewed, and I'm trying out a new way of writing them, so we'll see what happens. Thank you for your patience. :)

Anyway, the lowest selling comic of October 2014 (that wasn't a second print) (according to Comichron.com) selling 2,959 copies was Atomic Robo: The Knights of the Golden Circle #5, from Red 5 Comics.

No Caption Provided

As usual, I'm not familiar with the series, and didn't do any research into it before reading this issue, just to see if it's new reader friendly. There may be small spoilers, but I'llblockthem just in case. Let's start with the cover.

Cover:

Well I guess Ironhide is dead... Spoiler alert?

Given the title, a western setting is a bit of a surprise, but it's nice to look at, with it's rich colours, and shading that you'd expect from a sunset(sunrise?). Turns out it suits the contents of the issue though. I like the rhymes on the gravestones.

I think it's pretty cool that the writer, artist, colourist and letterer all get credited on the cover. Seeing as it takes up just a little space at the bottom, I don't get why I don't see this more often. The top left corner tells us that this is "#5 of 5, Volume 9". I think this must mean that the series is released as mini-series' with an indicator of which one in the series they are. This seems like a good idea for a format, as it would surely give very clear jumping on points.

Art:

No Caption Provided

The art, handled by Scott Wegener, who also did the cover, is made of strong lines, and an often angular quality. It's a western setting with robots in it, but not in a kind of steampunk way. Steampunk is fine, but perhaps a tad overused, so some more traditional looking robots here is refreshing. The human faces are a little cartoony, but subtly so. Our lead character Robo has a fairly simple design, face-wise, but is drawn in such a way that expression is shown well through the eyes, kind of like how Deadpools mask eyes seem to work sometimes. There's a panel that has writing on it that probably should have been edited out, but it's not so noticeable.

No Caption Provided

There's not a whole lot of location changes throughout for Anthony Clark to show off colour palette changes, but when there are outdoor shots, they really contrast with the indoor shots. The colours and shading are a welcome accompaniment to the art throughout. There's quite a bit of fighting in the issue, which brings a need for sound effects/onomatopoeia, for which Jeff Powell provides a wide range of appropriate fonts and sizes.

No Caption Provided

Story/Writing:

The recap page at the start tells us that Robo, Doc Holliday and U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves are onboard the Zeppelin of Baron Heinrich Von Helsingard, who is poised to conquer the west.

Our heroes fight through a number of cowboy cyborg things, including one that used to be someone that Robo knew. Robo lures him into the engine room, and tricks him into firing upon equipment, causing significant damage to the ship. Helsingard, seeing his plans in ruins abandons ship in an escape pod. Holliday and Reeves find pods and escape, but before Robo can join them, Caldwell, one of the cyborgs apprehends him, and the ship explodes, destroying both of them.

Back on the ground, Reeves and Holliday, carry out Robos last wishes, and take his head in a box to the local post office, before going their seperate ways. The head arrives at the laboratory of Nikola Tesla, and we see the box kept safely for many years, until 2014, where we see it is being kept at the Tesladyne deep storage facility, which is where the story ends.

A lot of the story, by Brian Clevinger, is taken up by a fight scene at the start, which may be forgivable within a series. It may fit into the whole story better, but for a single issue, it takes up a lot of space. Apart from that, the pacing is good, and seems like a decent conclusion to an arc. The end creates some intrigue for what could come next, which is a great thing for a comic to do.

Other Things Worth Mentioning:

22 Pages of comic content for $3.50. Fairly normal.

All the advertising is left to the end, so no interruptions.

Overall:

Overall, I though it was pretty good. The writing and art fit together well, and it manages to make a conclusion of a series I don't read feel meaningful. I'd maybe consider reading more. I'll give it a low 4/5(10/15).

So has anyone on here read this issue? What did you think of it? This review is just my own opinion, so it could be good to hear some others.

For all my previous reviews, see here.

Scarlotte.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

Not going to lie, my interest is piqued at the mention of Doc Holliday. One of my favorite old-west legends...

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I always forget you do these, at any rate it's a very cool idea. It's always fun to learn about obscure comics that don't normally get a shot.

In other words, great review :)

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

beautiful review BEAUTIFUL!

~MiB

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This is a great review.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Doc Holliday, eh? Consider me interested...

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By Queso6p4

Very excited to see this, but I was surprised Atomic Robo was the lowest selling book. While not a huge fan, I've enjoyed everything I've read of the series so far as it's consistent in its quality and humor. Your comment about Robo's eyes is spot on. Thanks for sharing.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Claymore1998

Awesome job as always Rose ^_^

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Claymore1998

Keep up the good work

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Please continue to review the least-selling comics.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@queso6p4 said:

Very excited to see this, but I was surprised Atomic Robo was the lowest selling book. While not a huge fan, I've enjoyed everything I've read of the series so far as it's consistent in its quality and humor. Your comment about Robo's eyes is spot on. Thanks for sharing.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it!

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13 shatterstar  Moderator

I love this blog series.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By _Mongul

The best part about this series that you donis that it helps jumpstart these low-end titles. You're literally helping this authors make a better living. Very good review.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I missed your reviews and I am so glad you've managed to throw one up. Your insights and impressions on comics has always come off genuine and enthusiastic while maintaining an honesty that doesn't take away from what these low selling titles try to convey to their readers, whether they are successful or not.

I've heard of Atomic Robo and probably have an issue lying around somewhere but you've kindled my curiosity so I'll add it to my list. Thanks again for making and posting another of your great reviews.

(edited to add that I too am glad comics like these are providing recognition for colourists and letterers on the front)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: @claymore1998: If I can get the comics, I'll continue reviewing them. :)

@queso6p4: @longbowhunter: That's good to know, if I ever decide to read more. Glad the Deadpool eyes comment made sense. I'm only a little familiar with him. And thanks. :)

@_mongul: If me talking about them can help even a few extra sales happen, that would be great. And thanks. :)

@Bangladeshi: @shadowswordmaster: @claymore1998: @pinecone: @shatterstar: @captainmarvel4ever: Thank you. :D

@ostyo: @granitesoldier: It seems he's in three issues of this mini-series, so it could be worth a look. :)

@ms-lola: Oh, that's a very detailed comment. Thank you. :D

I can't remember if I've commented on credits on covers before. I'll maybe keep it in mind for future reviews. :)

Anyway, thank you everyone for your comments and feedback. I wasn't sure how this review would compare to previous ones, as I put it together quite differently, and it took about half the time. Taking less time will make it easier to get them done in future.

I have three recent review comics to catch up on, so I'll try and get one done this week. I think I also have a handful of issues that I never got round to from December 2013-March 2014 that I could maybe have a look at, if anyone would be interested? :)

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queso6p4: Thanks. Glad you liked it. :)

New review coming at the weekend I think. :)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably posting a new review tonight. Might make it two to get catching up. :)

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Robots + Doc Holliday = Awesome. Great review!

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atomic Robo was the lowest selling comic? Really? I adore that series, stereotypical but it's so much fun.