I Review The Lowest Selling Comic Of The Month: November 2014.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Hi Everyone.

This review is a month after the last one. I'm still way behind, but starting to get more regular. Kind of. Thanks for your patience. :)

Anyway, the lowest selling comic of November 2014 (that wasn't a variant) (according to Comichron.com) selling 1,612 copies was Planet Gigantic #1 - Planetfall; The Eye of the Sun from Action Lab.

No Caption Provided

As usual, I'm not familiar with the series, and didn't do any research into it before reading this issue, just to see if it's new reader friendly. There may be small spoilers, but I'llblockthem just in case. Let's start with the cover.

Cover:

Looks like this might be a sci-fi comic. Not necessarily my favourite genre for comic books, but it could be alright.

Lots of writing on this cover, which makes it quite eye-catching. I like that it draws attention to the fact that there's a back-up story. Something that strikes me as a little odd is that there are no creator credits on tn the cover. I'm used to seeing at least the writer and main artist listed.

The art itself, by David Halvorson is quite nice to look at, with a mix of bold and sketchy lines, and an appealing colour palette, with a kind of textured pattern throughout. The character designs blend elements of realistic and stylised looks, in an exciting looking still from an action sequence.

Art:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

The art in both stories is handled by David Halvorson, who drew the cover. It brings some of the same elements to the table, but expands upon them, perhaps unsurprisingly. The characters have a charming look, with their simple but expressive faces. They look quite different depending on how close up they are shown, but I'd say that it works.

No Caption Provided

Peaceful and action filled scenes are both shown, and displayed skilfully, with a wonderful range of effects and styles. Something that really stands out is the colouring. Boldness and subtlety, where seperate or combined, look great, and the choices of colours really make it rather pleasing to the eyes. Lighting and shading make it even better, and the lettering in bubbles and sound effects by writer Eric Grissom fit well.

No Caption Provided

Story/Writing:

In a place called Woodmere, a spaceship crashes down, and we see our protagonists, Valentina and Yuri, escape, using some kind of superpowers to blast through the hull and control gravity to protect from debris in order to escape. They find their new environment to be rather pretty and peaceful, but are soon interrupted by a fight between natives and a rock monster, and they decide to help. The queen of Woodmere, seemingly annoyed that they defeated the rock monster, uses magic to seize them with some kind of shadowy creatures, and they are taken prisoner. We end withIn the back-up story, a girl called Lyana, and her flying lion, Syd, are flying to the tomb of Zon The Betrayer, to find the Eye Of The Sun. Upon finding it, we discover that the eye wasn't metaphorical, but was an actual eye of a living dragon. The dragon is set free from it's chains, but upon flying into the light, disintegrates, leaving behind the eye with Lyana.

the Queen departing, and our heroes being taken away by the shadows. Cliffhanger!

Both of these stories are exciting and intriguing, and have me interested right away. They're paced well, with fitting dialogue, and create a lot of lore, and depth of this world in only one issue. It's quite impressive. It turned out that it's kind of a blend of fantasy and sci-fi, with protagonists that seem likable.

Other Things Worth Mentioning:

A 20 page story, and an 8 page back-up story for $3.99. I'd say that's rather good value.

Single page of advertising left to the end, so no interruptions to the story.

You can apparently send away for an official membership card and decoder if you're a fan of the series.

Overall:

Overall, I think this is a rather good first issue. The stories both have me interested, and the art is a great accompaniment. It's fun, intriguing, and good value for money. Only two people making the whole thing is cool too. I'm seriously thinking about getting caught up with later issues of this series. I'd recommend taking a look at this issue. I'll give it a high 4/5(12/15).

So has anyone on here read this issue? What did you think of it? This review is just my own opinion, so it could be good to hear some others.

For all my previous reviews, see here.

Scarlotte.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

You forgot to finish the review!!!

~MiB

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

One of the coolest ideas ever on CV :)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

Glad to see another review. This comic doesn't seem like my cup of tea but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Keep on reviewing!

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The comic seems nice. Great review :)

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

This comic looks fun! I need to read it. It's sad that its the lowest selling. I never knew anything about it.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Art kinda reminds me of Skottie Young

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This comic sounds fun. Great review!

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: I think I see what you mean. :)

@jwalser3: @deadgod: Thanks. :D

@crazyscarecrow: @ms-lola: It certainly is a fun one. I'd recommend it. It is a little weird how sometimes good stuff falls to the bottom of the chart, but I suppose everyone has to start somewhere. And thanks. :)

@queso6p4: I'm glad too. It's great when one comes along that I want to read more of. And thanks. :)

Anyway, thanks for all your comments. Been busy lately with other stuff, but should have a moment for a new review or two in the next couple of days. Got to get caught up. :)

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By silent_bomber

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

It certainly is a fun one. I'd recommend it. It is a little weird how sometimes good stuff falls to the bottom of the chart, but I suppose everyone has to start somewhere. And thanks. :)

Some of these comics just have a really low print run. The Death Sentence comic you reviewed for instance actually sold out.

It would be quite funny if you end up with some rare comics that are actually worth money in a couple decades lol

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21