I Review The Lowest Selling Comic Of The Month: August 2013.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Hi Everyone.

As some of you may know, I like to keep an eye on the monthly sales figures, and I often wonder what some of the low sellers are like. With their unfamiliar titles and seeing no mention of them in general forum browsing, it seems like the best way to find out is to actually buy something. So I did.

The lowest selling comic of August 2013(according to Comichron.com) was Fearless Dawn In Outer Space #1:

No Caption Provided

I'm not familiar with the character, and didn't do any research into her before reading this issue, just to see if it's new reader friendly. There may be small spoilers, but I'll block them just in case. Let's start with the cover.

Cover:

If this woman in the centre is called Fearless Dawn, then the cover does suit the title, as that does look like outer space. I find the way she's drawn a little odd, as to me it almost looks like she's covering nudity, despite wearing this purple spacesuit.

These little aliens are drawn quite consistently, and in general I think the cover is drawn well, and nicely coloured. This doesn't really represent a scene in the comic, but I suppose that does happen sometimes, and instead this is to give a general idea of the contents.

The villains are more human looking inside, and Dawn doesn't seem to wear that particular costume. Not sure why this is.

Artwork:

No Caption Provided

The first thing that struck me on opening the comic is that this is in black and white. I don't read many independent comics, but from browsing in shops, I know that this seems to be fairly common for smaller companies. Not a big problem, but a bit of a surprise.

No Caption Provided

The art is generally pretty good, and suits the tone and story well, changing from cartoon-y to more serious and detailed as the scene requires. I like this approach here, as it flows well from panel to panel, and doesn't feel strange to see. The character posing in some panels is a little too "sexy" for me, but that's just personal tastes I suppose. The art is uncoloured as I said, but it's shaded very nicely, so it's good to look at.

No Caption Provided

Story/Writing:

As you may have picked up from the cover, it's about Nazis in space, and they're heading to Earth, led by a character called Helga Von Krause,(who appears to be a previous enemy of Dawn, helpfully pointed out in one of those little editors notes that you don't seem to see very often these days.), and Dawn intends to stop them. Not wanting to give away too much, so I'll leave the plot there.

It has a fun kind of feel to it, but isn't like a total comedy comic, and balances the humour and serious points pretty well. It seems like in various forms, Nazis are a bit of a trend lately, which I'm not into, but despite this, I still found it to be a fairly enjoyable read. I don't really know much about who Dawn is or what she does from this, but it doesn't seem to affect how the story goes. Reading previous issues could be useful, but I don't know for sure.

Other Things Worth Mentioning:

The comic has no advertising in it, apart from on the back page, which I like. It's nice to be able to read through a comic without being interrupted by adverts. It has 22 pages of comic content, and is $3.99. I think this is pretty good, as I've heard that comics without advertising often cost more, so it seems to be decent value.

There are a couple of slight inconsistencies in the art, i.e., a space helmet disappearing and re-appearing from panel to panel, but this could be down to it being sort of like a dream sequence. There are a couple of slight spelling mistakes too, but neither of these things bother me much.

There is 7 pages of bonus art at the end, 3 "pin-ups"(I think they're called), and 4 full pages that look kind of like they could be covers. I'm not into pin-ups, but they're drawn well enough, and the other art is good. I like that there's bonus content, as I usually only see that sort of thing in collected editions.

The cover claims this is a one-shot, but ends on a cliffhanger, to be continued in another issue. This probably wouldn't be a problem for a regular reader, but if you want a whole short story in one issue as I thought one-shots should be, this isn't what this is.

Overall:

In general, I liked this issue. It was drawn and written pretty well, and I think I'm interested enough to pick up the follow-up to this. I should probably stick to the 5 star rating system on here, so I think I'll give it 3/5, but it's a strong 3. I think that there will be people out there who will enjoy this, and enjoy it a little more than I did. If you get the chance to get a copy, I'd say it's worth a look.

So has anyone on here read this issue? What did you think of it?

Also, should I make this a monthly thing? I'm new to reviewing, but I'd be quite happy to post a review of next months lowest seller if people are interested in reading what I have to say. Let me know. :)

Scarlotte.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm down to read you're monthly reviews for the lowest selling comic.

-ABstract4$$#073-

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 SC  Moderator

Oh this is kind of cool. Very nice and unique idea. I will read this properly later, I hope you will do more, I would definitely read more.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Great idea for a review theme! And the review was great. I'm looking forward to next month.

TimmyGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great idea! Enjoyed the review and it'll be a great way to practice reviewing. Please do more. Although I worry you may have to read quite a lot of cheese! Thanks

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Cool idea ^_^

Nice Review

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

great idea!

off topic but wow how is Justice League selling so low in August and Constantine is even lower???? WOW!

ChaosMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice idea!

wundagoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Let me join the chorus that this is a great idea. I'll look forward to them if you make this a monthly feature. One thing that might be interesting is to say how low the lowest is each month (I know I could follow the comichron link, but I'm the typical lazy reader.)

Are those antlers on Dawn? Any explanation for why she has them?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wundagoreborn: That sounds like a good idea. I was planning on doing that if I have bonus low sellers to review along with the lowest. But for anyone interested, Fearless Dawn was 377th on the list.

They do seem to be antlers or horns or whatever, and there are shots that looks like they're coming straight out of her head, so I think they're attached. No explanation in this issue, but I imagine it would have been explained in another she's been in.

@danhimself: I think those are the figures for 2nd printings.

@wundagoreborn: @chaosmarvel: @danhimself: @blkson: @timmygrunt: @impossibilly: @sc: @m3th:

Thanks for your feedback. I'll definitely see about doing another for September. :D

Question about future reviews though. Do you just want to see the lowest selling comic, or would you be interested in also hearing about a couple of other low sellers if I happen to get some that month? Like some titles below the 300 mark where the numbers are weirdly inconsistent.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: "Do you just want to see the lowest selling comic, or would you be interested in also hearing about a couple of other low sellers if I happen to get some that month?"

Either or both. I'd like to rear about the lowest selling comic or one of the below the 300 mark or all of them, the lowest selling and a couple runner ups would be cooo.

-J.V.O.-

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Brilliant! Keep it up. I'd love to read more.

AminoAcidMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your review was awesome keep it up. I never really had interest on other comics aside from the big publishers (DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, Valiant, etc.), but this review made me notice them. Think i'll look into them if i have little extra cash.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@v_scarlotte_rose: If you have the time and inclination to include other very, very low sellers in a month, I'm all for it, even it's just a sentence or two for the extra comics.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, please, do this every month. Hell, do it every week, if you can. I loved this review.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@matteopg: In theory, if I was to find out which week of the month the low sellers were released, I could actually make it a weekly thing. I might think about trying that if money and availability would permit it, and if enough people are interested of course.

@impossibilly: It would perhaps make sense to make the extra issues reviews a little shorter, but I'll at least try and say enough to cover the important parts.

@aminoacidman: Thanks. If this months figure are anything to go by, then it seems I'll mostly be covering issues from outside the big publishers. I don't read much of them either, so I'll be interested in seeing what's out there too.

@nintendork666: Thanks, I think i will. :)

@m3th: Cool, I'll maybe cover some others then. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Awesome, looking forward to reading more reviews like this.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

great idea!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool idea.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose
waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Like the idea of taking a look at what kind of comic is the lowest selling. Reminds me of my reviews of not-collected comics. If you make more reviews, then I will follow them.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@waezi2 said:

Like the idea of taking a look at what kind of comic is the lowest selling. Reminds me of my reviews of not-collected comics. If you make more reviews, then I will follow them.

I think I see what you mean. Like taking a look at comics that might otherwise be overlooked?

There's only one more up at the moment, but there should be another in a day or two, and it should be at least one per month. Glad you like the idea. :)

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#25  Edited By Extremis

@v_scarlotte_rose: hey this is a cool thing you're doing! What one you doing for September?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Cool. :)

I haven't got my copy of #24 yet, but officially I'm still a Batwoman reader.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis:

Cool. :)

I haven't got my copy of #24 yet, but officially I'm still a Batwoman reader.

I have my copy now though. Was there something in particular you wanted to discuss about it?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: no I was just wondering f you were dropping it after JH Williams leaves

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@extremis: Ah, I see. I'm pretty annoyed about how the change is being handled, but I like Batwoman as a character, so I'm sticking with it. If they somehow manage to screw her up too much, I might drop out.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Good topic.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

very nice review :)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I like this thread. It should be on the main page.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Your comment seems to be missing. That's happened to me a few times.

@deadgod: Thanks. :)

Wow, thank you. :D

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve said:

Wow, thank you. :D

You're welcome. Very original idea. I expected the art for the lowest selling book to be terrible. It looks better than some stuff DC and Marvel are putting out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Very nice idea.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury: Thanks. :)

@pokeysteve: I kind of thought the same, but the art in the comics I've reviewed so far has mostly been pretty good, particularly in my most recent review.It seems like there could be lots of great stuff out there that gets overlooked because it doesn't have a big name publisher, creator or character attached to it. I hope to find some of these hidden gems through reviewing. :)

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: I kind of thought the same, but the art in the comics I've reviewed so far has mostly been pretty good, particularly in my most recent review.It seems like there could be lots of great stuff out there that gets overlooked because it doesn't have a big name publisher, creator or character attached to it. I hope to find some of these hidden gems through reviewing. :)

I'm actually looking forward to more reviews of poor sellers and I'll be keeping an eye out for them.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: It'll probably be about two weeks until I start the October reviews. Just have to wait until the months sales figures are available so I know what to buy. I've posted the last 3 reviews as blog entries, so the new reviews should be easy to find on my page, in case you don't see them on the forum. :)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi. I've seen the follow up issue to this listed on a few online comic book shops, possibly coming out next week. Just thought I should mention it in case anyone was interested.

I may even end up reviewing it. :)

Oh, and have a look at my recent reviews, if you like. :) http://www.comicvine.com/profile/v_scarlotte_rose/blog/

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such a cool idea, genuinely , and my inner hipster loves it too.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spinningbirdcake: Thank you, glad you and your inner hipster liked it. :D

I'll hopefully have the first November review up between now and next Monday. :)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi. I'm hopefully getting back into doing these reviews regularly, starting with August 2014's Lowest Seller, which I should be posting within the next couple of days.

Thought I should mention it for anyone who liked the old ones, and may enjoy new ones. :)

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Cool!

Beata