I plan on writing my own comic book series....

• 64 results
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Static Shock

Me and a friend have been in talks about this for months now, ranging from what the story is going to be about, to what the main hero will wear, and loads of other things. It's actually harder than I thought it was. Writing a comic book story takes a lot of creativity, plus patience. I'm not trying to sound a like a professional, at all. Creativity is there, but patience seems to be lacking. I'm making it, though.

What I will say is that the story will feature a street-level crime fighter who is not only trying to be a hero in the city of Atlanta, but he also has an agenda of his own, dealing with women, college, the power he possesses, and the loyalty of his best friend. You can expect a martial arts tone to the story, as it will be heavily based on martial arts. As for the character, I won't reveal details yet, but just know that the character takes influence from both Black Panther and Iron Fist. This isn't the say that he's going to be an African super-soldier with S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier-busting Chi powers and genius-level intellect with a technologically-advanced nation behind him. That would be pushing it, so don't expect any of that. But, just know that mystical concepts will be involved, dating back to Feudal Japan, possibly the Ryukyu Kingdom. Other concepts, like science fiction, a little criminology (no, he's not going to be Batman, but he will deal with the criminal element), and technology superior to anything we've come up with in reality. After all, that is how most comic books are, especially in both Marvel and DC. Plus, villains need a fighting chance, too.

Like I said earlier, I won't reveal much. But, I will show you this and let it marinate on you. This is just the gist of it. And, no. I didn't draw this.

Stay tuned... :)
Blood_guts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Blood_guts

good luck man creativity is hard. not impossible but takes time patience and... no just about those two. but anyway good luck

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dernman

Ya good luck.   Is that something your going to try and sell or show on the Vine?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab1ccc482197
deactivated-5ab1ccc482197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The emblem looks cool man. Best of luck with this.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Static Shock

@Dernman said:

Ya good luck. Is that something your going to try and sell or show on the Vine.

Going to publish this. No doubt about that. Thanks, though.

@Alurvelve: @Blood_guts: Thanks, guys.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock: He better have some Shotokan skill. xP
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Static Shock

@Alurvelve said:

@Static Shock: He better have some Shotokan skill. xP

That's his base fighting style. I'm assuming you guessed because of the Tiger, right? LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock: Nah.
This is Andferne. So I know you personally have dabbled in that style. =)
Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Whisper_

AWESOME! 

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Static Shock

@Alurvelve said:

@Static Shock: Nah. This is Andferne. So I know you personally have dabbled in that style. =)

Ah, okay. Now, I know. LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock: I'm actually looking forward to it more now. Knowing that there will be aspects of Shotokan in it.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock said: 

hero in the city of Atlanta

college

character takes influence from both Black Panther 

Sounds like a very personally-based project. LOL. 

All joking aside, I look forward to where this might go. The concepts of it sound very interesting. Hope to see this sometime in the foreseeable future. 
HumanNumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HumanNumber

Colorful rogues gallery?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

good luck

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dernman
@HumanNumber said:
Colorful rogues gallery?
Ya Villains are just as important as the hero.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Static Shock

@Alurvelve said:

@Static Shock: I'm actually looking forward to it more now. Knowing that there will be aspects of Shotokan in it.

That, and other fighting styles too.

@Silver2467 said:

Sounds like a very personally-based project. LOL. All joking aside, I look forward to where this might go. The concepts of it sound very interesting. Hope to see this sometime in the foreseeable future.

Well, you can kinda say that. The main character's life will somewhat be based on some of my experiences. The only difference is that I'm not a city boy like the main character is.

@HumanNumber said:

Colorful rogues gallery?

You bet. I have some rogues down already, and some are still in the works.

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Thanks.

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Whisper_

That art is gorgeous btw. 

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock said:

@Silver2467 said:

Sounds like a very personally-based project. LOL. All joking aside, I look forward to where this might go. The concepts of it sound very interesting. Hope to see this sometime in the foreseeable future.

Well, you can kinda say that. The main character's life will somewhat be based on some of my experiences. The only difference is that I'm not a city boy like the main character is.

Fair enough. The underlying ideas of it have to come from somewhere. Only makes sense that it would be things the writer knows about.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Static Shock

@_Whisper_ said:

That art is gorgeous btw.

It is. But, sadly, the art in the book won't look like that. As a matter of fact, the artist of the book is a Viner here. You might know her as Crazy Pan. There isn't any concept art yet, though.

@Silver2467 said:

Fair enough. The underlying ideas of it have to come from somewhere. Only makes sense that it would be things the writer knows about.

True. Plus, the main character is based on me, in some ways, but still very different.

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Whisper_
@Static Shock: I love her stuff!  

DH btw. You seem to be getting overrun with alts :P 
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Static Shock

@_Whisper_ said:

@Static Shock: I love her stuff! DH btw. You seem to be getting overrun with alts :P

I know, right. LOL.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By TheGoldenOne
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to it. Good luck.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Static Shock

@TheGoldenOne said:

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to it. Good luck.

Thanks

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By cyberninja

May the force be with you. 

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Cool, i have a similar comic book idea also.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By cascadeking09
@Static Shock said:

Me and a friend have been in talks about this for months now, ranging from what the story is going to be about, to what the main hero will wear, and loads of other things. It's actually harder than I thought it was. Writing a comic book story takes a lot of creativity, plus patience. I'm not trying to sound a like a professional, at all. Creativity is there, but patience seems to be lacking. I'm making it, though.

What I will say is that the story will feature a street-level crime fighter who is not only trying to be a hero in the city of Atlanta, but he also has an agenda of his own, dealing with women, college, the power he possesses, and the loyalty of his best friend. You can expect a martial arts tone to the story, as it will be heavily based on martial arts. As for the character, I won't reveal details yet, but just know that the character takes influence from both Black Panther and Iron Fist. This isn't the say that he's going to be an African super-soldier with S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier-busting Chi powers and genius-level intellect with a technologically-advanced nation behind him. That would be pushing it, so don't expect any of that. But, just know that mystical concepts will be involved, dating back to Feudal Japan, possibly the Ryukyu Kingdom. Other concepts, like science fiction, a little criminology (no, he's not going to be Batman, but he will deal with the criminal element), and technology superior to anything we've come up with in reality. After all, that is how most comic books are, especially in both Marvel and DC. Plus, villains need a fighting chance, too.

Like I said earlier, I won't reveal much. But, I will show you this and let it marinate on you. This is just the gist of it. And, no. I didn't draw this.

My hometown.
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Good luck dude.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Good luck.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jnr6Lil

This would be good publishing with Marvel.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Good luck man, I have been trying to write one for a while but I'm a total scatter brain so I always get side tracked.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Static Shock

@spiderbat87: Thanks.

@Jnr6Lil: Marvel isn't touching this. Neither is DC. LOL.

@lazystudent: @Nova`Prime`: Thanks, both of you.

@cascadeking09: Atlanta needs more recognition in the comic book world, you know?

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cascadeking09
@Static Shock: Yeah, New York seems to be the place that gets the most shine. If he/she is from Georgia, are you planning on having them speak a certain way? I know bein from there I tend to say things like " I aint got noun" or "Noun one of yall." I know that sounds like terrible english but it's just the way alot of people speak (at least the people I know and in my area)
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Static Shock

@cascadeking09: Well, the character isn't going to have a southern drawl or anything. I don't want him to be too token Black, you know. He'll use some slang, but he's not hood or anything. He should, at the very least, identify with Black audiences, but at the same time, I'm not going to make him completely 'down with the brothers' because I want his character to appeal to everyone, regardless of race. At best, he's a young, educated Black male who is also street smart. Black Lightning is a perfect example of this. Static, too.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Black superhero, nice, But if u want this to be a big comic, DC or Marvel is the way to go

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cascadeking09
@Static Shock: I know what you mean, it doesn't sound too good. I was just wondering.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Static Shock

@Jnr6Lil said:

Black superhero, nice, But if u want this to be a big comic, DC or Marvel is the way to go

If I go to DC or Marvel, they will take ownership of my character. They don't publish creator-owned work (especially Marvel, who is directly responsible for Image's establishment in the first place, taking creator-owned ideas from writers and artists, like Rob Liefield, Mark Silvestri, Jim Lee, and Todd McFarlane, that worked there and only paying them standard fees and not giving them creative control). Any ideas taken to them and written under them is acquired by them, and I don't want that. Plus, you don't have to go through Marvel or DC for this. Characters like Invincible are fairly popular, and he's with Image (who publishes creator-owned work). Rob Kirkman is still putting out titles. Look at Spawn. The only Black superhero that has a long running volume, and he's with Image, also.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Yes but I do believe Image is partly owned by DC, I understand they're popular but if you want mainstream DC or Marvel is the way to go.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Static Shock

@Jnr6Lil: Image isn't owned by DC, not even partly owned. DC is their competitor, and they own Wildstorm (after Jim Lee sold it to them). Image is in no way associated with DC.

If I had to choose between keeping my character to myself, having it copyrighted to me, making money off of my own creation and giving it up to DC or Marvel for a standard page fee with little to no royalties for my creation, just so they can kick me off my own book so another writer can come and mess things up, I would choose the former. I don't want me or my character to be that famous, anyway. Gotta start off small first.

I want the whole pie, not a piece of it. I will also never conform to mainstream companies by letting them cash in on my ideas.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By difficlus
@Static Shock: F*CK yeah. Go for it, it sounds sweet. Can't wait to read it...
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@Static Shock said:

@Jnr6Lil: Image isn't owned by DC, not even partly owned. DC is their competitor, and they own Wildstorm (after Jim Lee sold it to them). Image is in no way associated with DC.

If I had to choose between keeping my character to myself, having it copyrighted to me, making money off of my own creation and giving it up to DC or Marvel for a standard page fee with little to no royalties for my creation, just so they can kick me off my own book so another writer can come and mess things up, I would choose the former. I don't want me or my character to be that famous, anyway. Gotta start off small first.

I want the whole pie, not a piece of it. I will also never conform to mainstream companies by letting them cash in on my ideas.

Yes but this is the writing business, you're eventually going to have to sell your work. 
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Static Shock

@Jnr6Lil said:

Yes but this is the writing business, you're eventually going to have to sell your work.

I wonder why Kirkman hasn't sold his work yet.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@Static Shock said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

I wonder why Kirkman hasn't sold his work yet.

Kirkman?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Static Shock
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Static Shock: Kirkman wrote Ultimate X-Men which is under Marvel.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Static Shock

@Jnr6Lil said:

Ultimate X-Men was never his own creation. So, that doesn't count. LOL. Plus, that book was written by several different writers other than Kirkman (Mark Millar, Chuck Austen, Geoff Johns, Brian Michael Bendis, etc) and neither of them had ownership to it, either. The title is owned by Marvel, and those writers were hired to write the books for it.

Invincible, The Walking Dead, and the Astounding Wolfman are all his, and dubbed as creator-owned work. He hasn't sold them to anyone, and rights all of those books are his.

Mark Millar never sold his work, either. I'm sure you're familiar with Wanted and Kick-Ass. Wanted was published under Top Cow, while Kick Ass was published under Icon. Both imprints only publish creator-owned work, just like Image does (and Top Cow is an imprint under Image).

Not all writers sell their own work.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@Static Shock said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

Ultimate X-Men was never his own creation. So, that doesn't count. LOL. Plus, that book was written by several different writers other than Kirkman (Mark Millar, Chuck Austen, Geoff Johns, Brian Michael Bendis, etc) and neither of them had ownership to it, either. The title is owned by Marvel, and those writers were hired to write the books for it.

Invincible, The Walking Dead, and the Astounding Wolfman are all his, and dubbed as creator-owned work. He hasn't sold them to anyone, and rights all of those books are his.

Mark Millar never sold his work, either. I'm sure you're familiar with Wanted and Kick-Ass. Wanted was published under Top Cow, while Kick Ass was published under Icon. Both imprints only publish creator-owned work, just like Image does (and Top Cow is an imprint under Image).

Not all writers sell their own work.

True but big ones such as J.K Rowling had, Though she only gave Scholastic the publishing rights.
Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By Rudyftw

Iv'e made the layouts to my own comic book too. It's not set in any current universe (Marvel, D.C.), but set in a realistic world like our own. It IS a superhero comic, but no tights, costumes, or animal puns. It asks the question what if people received "powers" in this day and age? Would these powered beings do more good than bad? Would powers make the world a better place or would it be the fall of civilization as we know it?  

I kept code names though. You can't go wrong with code names. 

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@Rudyftw said:
Iv'e made the layouts to my own comic book too. It's not set in any current universe (Marvel, D.C.), but set in a realistic world like our own. It IS a superhero comic, but no tights, costumes, or animal puns. It asks the question what if people received "powers" in this day and age? Would these powered beings do more good than bad? Would powers make the world a better place or would it be the fall of civilization as we know it?   I kept code names though. You can't go wrong with code names. 
Indeed I have 2 book ideas myself, I have one called DJ and the Marshalls that like a real world comedy, like every day life, then I got one called Superhero Academy, which is more marvel like, right now I'm working on a magazine.
Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By Rudyftw
@Jnr6Lil said:
@Rudyftw said:
Iv'e made the layouts to my own comic book too. It's not set in any current universe (Marvel, D.C.), but set in a realistic world like our own. It IS a superhero comic, but no tights, costumes, or animal puns. It asks the question what if people received "powers" in this day and age? Would these powered beings do more good than bad? Would powers make the world a better place or would it be the fall of civilization as we know it?   I kept code names though. You can't go wrong with code names. 
Indeed I have 2 book ideas myself, I have one called DJ and the Marshalls that like a real world comedy, like every day life, then I got one called Superhero Academy, which is more marvel like, right now I'm working on a magazine.  
  Awesome. Is the magazine your working on currently running? I don't have a title yet for mine, but I do have (for the most part) original names and story arcs. It's pretty dark, but it's not "too dark", you know? 
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@Rudyftw said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@Rudyftw said:
  Awesome. Is the magazine your working on currently running? I don't have a title yet for mine, but I do have (for the most part) original names and story arcs. It's pretty dark, but it's not "too dark", you know? 
Yes, It's called the Combat Yearbook and a magazine on both MMA and Pro Wrestling
teoP_ehT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By teoP_ehT

cool I look forward to this