#1 Edited by LanternCorpsGuy (48 posts) - - Show Bio

So i am still a new in comics not the charcthers or publishers. i need vocbulary lessons. There is only a few i know like golden age, sliver age, bronze age, story arc, crossovers, but thats the only ones i know. i get confused alot when some people start saying are " one shots"or " trade ins" dont what that is. can some tell what i need to know and give me more knowledge? Thanks

#2 Edited by The_Tree (7481 posts) - - Show Bio

A one-shot is a comic book that is a pilot or a stand-alone story created as a single issue, rather than the more typical series format.

That's wikipedia's description of a one-shot.

#3 Posted by Teerack (6372 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by LanternCorpsGuy (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: @The_Tree:

thanks but there is alot of more words i dont know.

#5 Posted by The_Tree (7481 posts) - - Show Bio

@LanternCorpsGuy: List them, and I'm sure that I and others could easily tell you what they mean.

#6 Posted by Renchamp (2397 posts) - - Show Bio

Poke around. I've learned a lot just by interacting with other members on the Vine and going through the various news articles. Like "retcon." I had no idea what that was until I joined a few years ago.

#7 Posted by LanternCorpsGuy (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: retcon, trade in, graphic novel, and bunch of others i cant think of them right now. just post the ones that you know. Thanks

#8 Posted by The_Tree (7481 posts) - - Show Bio

@LanternCorpsGuy: Retcon is the shortened form of saying "retroactive continuity". Urban Dictionary describes it best as: "Adding or altering information regarding the back story of a fictional character or world, regardless of whether the change contradicts what was said before."

A graphic novel is pretty much just a paperback or hardcover collection of a comic book story.

#9 Posted by LanternCorpsGuy (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: ok thanks dude. what else do you know that you can share with me?

#10 Posted by The_Tree (7481 posts) - - Show Bio

@LanternCorpsGuy: A trade paperback, or more commonly known as just "trade (or trades for plural)" are a paperback collection of a comic book story.

PIS means "plot induced stupidity" and is commonly used when a character does something they normally shouldn't be able to do, but they do it for the sake of driving the plot.

Here's Urban Dictionary's knowledge over CIS or "character induced stupidity": CIS refers to any natural mental limitations that characters impose upon themselves and reduce their ability to use their own skills and powers effectively. Unlike PIS, CIS does not occur because the plot requires it, but because the character is genuinely that dumb.

WIS or "writer induced stupidity" is pretty much whenever a character does something out of character due to the writer being incredibly stupid.

Hopefully this helps you out, and if anyone wants to correct me on any wrongs or add to what I've said, feel free.

#11 Posted by LanternCorpsGuy (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: thanks you been a big help

#12 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Mmm...I didn't knew WIS existed too XD everyday you learn something

#13 Posted by JediXMan (30630 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

@The_Tree: Mmm...I didn't knew WIS existed too XD everyday you learn something

I had a hand in popularizing it on this site, I'm happy to say.