#1 Edited by thabigred (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess the best way to go about this is saying what I like. My two favorite books ATM are both by Kirkman's Invincible and The Walking Dead which I am caught up on all the way. Ultimate Spiderman got me into comics, which makes me indebted to loving anything that comes from that. I loved the Immortal Iron Fist run.  Liked Marvel Zombies a lot. Love BPRD and Hellboy, and I'm completely caught up on those.

I usually don't branch off from what I normally read and being that I'm on a fixed budget I wouldn't just buy any book just because. I also don't like being that guy who reads an entire book then puts it back on the rack, I think that is really bad mannered to the store clerk. Knowing what I like, do you guys have any recommendations of anything new or semi-new that is out that sounds like I would like. I got a few hrs between classes and I'm planning on spending it at the comic shop tomorrow so yeah.

#2 Posted by moviegeek17 (1487 posts) - - Show Bio

batman year one. its short, cheap and amazing.
typically anything by frank miller is a must have

and if you love that then get the long halloween

#3 Posted by thabigred (41 posts) - - Show Bio
@moviegeek17 said:
" batman year one. its short, cheap and amazing. typically anything by frank miller is a must have  and if you love that then get the long halloween "
Yeah I've read those, I liked them. Liked Long Halloween more than Year One.
#4 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio
@thabigred:  Witchblade dude, witchblade is what you need.
#5 Posted by moviegeek17 (1487 posts) - - Show Bio
@thabigred: 
 ok well. incognito would be another great buy, its from the same artist who drew marvel zombies and is written by ed brubaker. its like 18 bucks if you can find it
#6 Posted by G Bird (1280 posts) - - Show Bio

A new one I enjoyed was Taskmaster #1 that came out a week or two ago, give that one a try. I can't wait for the second one to come out! It's something different and very interesting, making a villain almost look like the good guy.

#7 Posted by thabigred (41 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
" @thabigred:  Witchblade dude, witchblade is what you need. "
You know I always thought about reading Witchblade but never got to it just because Witchblade always seemed sort of ridiculous looking. Would you think it would be implicit for me to pick up from issue 1 in the Compendium Vol 1 and 2. I like reading from issue 1 so I can understand the characters backstory and cannon, so what I'm trying to ask is, do you think the first 100 issues is worth the 80 dollar asking price?
#8 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio
@thabigred said:
" @Crom-Cruach said:
You know I always thought about reading Witchblade but never got to it just because Witchblade always seemed sort of ridiculous looking. Would you think it would be implicit for me to pick up from issue 1 in the Compendium Vol 1 and 2. I like reading from issue 1 so I can understand the characters backstory and cannon, so what I'm trying to ask is, do you think the first 100 issues is worth the 80 dollar asking price?
80 dollars? I bought the first and 2nd Witchblade compendium (first has issues 1 to 50, second has issues 51 to 100) for something like 30 bucks each when the taxes kicked in... 

But to answer your question, yes I do believe starting from issue one is definitively worth it. It's a good read and it really helps to show how the character has grows and where she came from. I personally think was lots of fun. Though art quality from issue to issue does suffer in some issues.

The biggest reason to start from issue one however is that it sets up the Top Cow universe and while many mysteries are left unanswered until much later. The ground work laid out before is something that an interested reader benefits from having read

With that in mind however, the series REALLY ups in quality once you hit issue 80 (which is also a great starting point for new readers) when Ron Marz takes the head of Witchblade. At issue 80 he becomes the writer for Witchblade (he still is BTW) and the writing gets a significant jump in quality. And with Marz on board the art quality inconsistencies also disappear as regular artists of better quality is brought it.

Though when it comes to art quality. The really doesn't reach it's current quality until Stepjan Kejic steps in after issue 100 and the start of the Broken Trinity arc
#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: I paid $75 for the first Compendium. Gotta love Australia's prices :|
#10 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  Sorry to hear that man, here in Quebec comics are anywhere near that expensive in general even rare ones.
#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: Not to self, move to Quebec. Can't wait to read WB though.
#12 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  make Montreal your city if you move here. It has no less then the three best comic stores in the province :) including the one where I shop.
#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: Heh, will do. I like the cold weather anyway.
#14 Posted by innocence (161 posts) - - Show Bio

Nemesis.

#15 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  just be careful, we have some of the crappiest and most arrogant drivers on the planet.
#16 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@thabigred said:
" I guess the best way to go about this is saying what I like. My two favorite books ATM are both by Kirkman's Invincible and The Walking Dead which I am caught up on all the way. Ultimate Spiderman got me into comics, which makes me indebted to loving anything that comes from that. I loved the Immortal Iron Fist run.  Liked Marvel Zombies a lot. Love BPRD and Hellboy, and I'm completely caught up on those. I usually don't branch off from what I normally read and being that I'm on a fixed budget I wouldn't just buy any book just because. I also don't like being that guy who reads an entire book then puts it back on the rack, I think that is really bad mannered to the store clerk. Knowing what I like, do you guys have any recommendations of anything new or semi-new that is out that sounds like I would like. I got a few hrs between classes and I'm planning on spending it at the comic shop tomorrow so yeah. "
Try the Dark Tower series. Pretty wild stuff going on. Also, Fables is really fun to read, once you get into it. If you want any details I'll gladly try to explain in the most simplistic way
#17 Posted by Mediant (329 posts) - - Show Bio
@thabigred said:
" @Crom-Cruach said:
You know I always thought about reading Witchblade but never got to it just because Witchblade always seemed sort of ridiculous looking. Would you think it would be implicit for me to pick up from issue 1 in the Compendium Vol 1 and 2. I like reading from issue 1 so I can understand the characters backstory and cannon, so what I'm trying to ask is, do you think the first 100 issues is worth the 80 dollar asking price? "
Personally, I'm conflicted on Witchblade. I own the first Compendium (though I haven't quite finished it yet). It has some great art in it. Not all of it is great, but I'd say that overall I'd give it high marks. What's slowed me down in reading it is the writing though. There's this whole love triangle thing going on that I found just annoying. It honestly reminded me of the Jacob-Edward-Bella stupidity.  
I've heard that the series does get better in just about every way as it progresses, so the beginning might not exactly be the series putting its best foot forward as it were. Even still, like you, I feel like you should read from the beginning. Just keep in mind that people say it gets better. With that knowledge, I'd decide where to start and if you'd like to at all. 
And really, the art is very cool-- especially if you like Michael Turner
#18 Posted by thabigred (41 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: I was listing Amazon's prices for the book. I'll give it a whirl. The comic shop I go to usually has his prices set to around amazon's prices.
#19 Posted by thabigred (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I ended picking up Chew volume 1 and 2. I told the owner of the shop how much I liked Kirkman and Hellboy, he recommended me try out Savage Dragon, so I got the first two archives of that series. Oddly enough, he didn't have the Witchblade Compendium, he said it sold out and he hadn't gotten around to restocking it yet. Must be popular I might just have to get it on Amazon.