#1 Posted by mattschwabby (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone,

Despite being a fan of comic books overall and a pretty avid Comic Vine reader, I'm sort of an on again, off again comic book consumer. I'll go through phases where I will religiously read comics for a while, then abruptly stop. I have realized this is because I get drawn into a particular series, blaze through it, and never switch to another series at the end.

Currently, this is what I am doing with Locke & Key. I picked up the first volume this weekend, finished it in one sitting, and haven't stopped reading the rest. This time, I would not like to stop as soon as I finish what has been released and would like to jump right into something else.

As far as mainstream stuff goes, the last "big" arc I read was Civil War. I have to say that overall, I don't really like big mainstream books and prefer more indie stuff, like Locke & Key (is this indie)? The last "mainstream" book I read was Old Man Logan, which I loved. That series is one of my all time favorites.

So, can anyone give me some recommendations on what to read so I don't give up this time? I guess I would mostly like the more indie stuff. Like I said, Locke & Key is really sucking me in, so anything like that would be appreciated. I think I am going to get into Chew next. As far as other books I've liked: Kick Ass, The Walking Dead, Powers and all the other books I've mentioned above.

Please let me know!

#2 Posted by mattschwabby (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump and grind

#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellboy?!

#4 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, I could mention to you all the classics but anyone can do that and you'll find threads for them everywhere so instead I will recommend Saga because it will be a classic and I feel it would probably be a joy to say that you followed a classic from the beginning?

#5 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Infinite Vacation (Issue 4 of 5 recently came out) has spectacular art and a good head-trip of a story.

Written by Nick Spencer and illustrated (penciled, inked, colored) by Christian Ward.

The basic premise involves the ability to jump to another version of yourself in an alternate reality (for a fee, using an app) to see what different choice you could have made in any single situation.

The first issue sets up the concept, and things rapidly spiral out of control from there.

The art is absolutely gorgeous and top notch.

#6 Posted by inferiorego (21242 posts) - - Show Bio

Saga

Chew

Walking Dead

Invincible

TMNT

Manhatten Projects

Staff
#7 Posted by mattschwabby (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

Also, I could mention to you all the classics but anyone can do that and you'll find threads for them everywhere so instead I will recommend Saga because it will be a classic and I feel it would probably be a joy to say that you followed a classic from the beginning?

@aztek_the_lost said:

Hellboy?!

Those both sound great. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out right away!

#8 Posted by mattschwabby (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

Saga

Chew

Walking Dead

Invincible

TMNT

Manhatten Projects

I had been thinking about Chew. Thanks for the direction, I'll pick it up.

I used to really like a book called Powers a long time ago. Is that still a thing?

#9 Edited by Illuminatus (9497 posts) - - Show Bio
The Sandman. 
Preacher. 
Lucifer. 
100 Bullets. 
Fables. 
Y: The Last Man.  
Hellblazer. 
American Vampire. 

And yes, Locke & Key is indie.
#10 Posted by inferiorego (21242 posts) - - Show Bio

@mattschwabby: It still exists under Marvel's Icon banner. It comes out pretty randomly though.

Staff
#11 Posted by nickthedevil (11624 posts) - - Show Bio

Grendel

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@mattschwabby:

• Hunter/Killer
  • Their crossover with CyberForce. (The latter have many series too, but they aren't "unusual")
  • Wanted
  • Invincible, I guess. Its not unusual, but I think its somewhat within the parameters of what you're looking for.
#13 Posted by nickthedevil (11624 posts) - - Show Bio

Nemesis

#14 Posted by capelesscrusader (103 posts) - - Show Bio

The Nightly News

Most definitely "Indie". The corruption of modern media, politics, and the Voice that tries to bring it all down.

The Secret History of D.B. Cooper

The main character is on something. You might want to be to understand it. He's known for being the only man to rob an airplane in mid-air and then parachute to safety. (True story)

Smoke & Mirrors

No power. Just magic. Now meet the only man in the world who can do card tricks.

#15 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

Invincible. Marineman. Umbrella Academy. Age of Reptiles.

#16 Posted by mattschwabby (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. definitely gonna check these out.

#17 Posted by nickydaewoo (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Need to check out Morning Glories, it's a great story so far and it's only on issue 16. Also I would suggest Kick Ass, The Walking Dead, and anything by Scott Snyder.