I'm extremely new to comics-Here are my thoughts on Marvel

negazurg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've only been reading comics for a few months now. I decided to start reading with Marvel since I've been interested in Spider-Man, X-men etc. since I watched the cartoons in the 90's. I thought I could share a comic newcomer's thoughts on some series I have read. I have been mainly using Marvel Unlimited to read some old stuff, while reading some new stuff from my local comic shop.

-Ultimate Spider-Man #1 is a GREAT place to start with Spider-Man. I'm up to issue #90 now and I have really enjoyed it! I highly suggest starting there if you want to get into Spider-Man.

-Modern Amazing Spider-Man isn't very good. I started reading at the start of Brand New day(#546) and became extremely bored and stopped after issue 574. I skipped ahead and have been reading from the Spider-Island arc on, to get some back-story for Scarlet Spider and Superior Spider-Man.

-Scarlet Spider is definitely my favorite series so far. It has great action, and is just a fun, interesting book.

-I have also been enjoying Superior Spider-Man, it is also a decent place to start if you want to get into modern Spider-Man.

-The new Venom series is very good! It's an extremely interesting take on Venom, which is a character I have liked since I was little and watched the 90's Spider-Man show. It's a great action book and can sometimes get pretty dark which i enjoy.

-All new X-men is pretty good, but requires a little knowledge of X-men characters(I found the movies as well as some light wiki reading was enough). I do recommend reading Avengers VS Xmen beforehand though.

-I actually enjoyed Age of Ultron up until the last issue. I really enjoy post-apocalyptic themes as well as time travel and alternate dimension stories, so I enjoyed it. I found the ending anti-climatic as well as a big advertisement.

-I also enjoy the new Deadpool series as well as Deadpool Killustrated for a light-hearted series.

Sorry for the long post but I thought this might be helpful for people who want to get into some Marvel comics and maybe interesting for the rest of you! If you have any other recommendations for Marvel series I should read I would love to hear them!

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Nice first post, neat to see the perspective of someone just showing up without any real biases coming in. Glad that ya like Scarlet Spider and Venom, those are two really nice books IMO. :)

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By End_Boss

Read Civil War. Talk to no one about it before you do. Go in without preconceptions. I for one will be interested to hear what you think once you reach the other side.

EDIT: Do the same for Avengers vs. X-Men.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine008

Try out New Avengers, Indestructible Hulk, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine, Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers, Thor:God of Thunder, Hawkeye, and Gambit. All are fun and great reads.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Been hearing so much hype about this "Scarlet Spider" book. Think I might have to give it a spin.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I agree the Amazing Spider-Man wasn't the best of BND, but I enjoyed both Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth. Superior is mediocre, but I'm a Spidey die-hard so I want to follow the story too.

Venom is my favorite character in comics, and I'm glad someone else has taken to Flash as I have. His story keeps getting better, I have high hopes for his future.

I also started picking up X-Men (not "All New" or "Uncanny" just "X-Men") and even though it's only two issues in it is really good.

Indestructible Hulk is really good too. It still has its kinks to work out, but it is fun and exciting.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: DO IT! DO IT! The last two issues have been about Scarlet Spider teaming up with Wolverine to take down the Assassains Guild. The most recent issue comes out this month on the 24th.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: From what I read of Scarlet Spider before removing it from my pull list, it seems really good. The only reason it didn't make the cut is that I have a lot of books on my pull list right now, and a lot of them are really good. Sacrifices had to be made. I will probably pick up the first two trades once the second is out (if it's not already).

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Great picks! Especially Scarlet Spider, All New X-Men, and Deadpool. You should definitely read Daredevil too!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@wolverine08: Yeah, I just might have to. Speaking of Wolverine, I've been meaning to pick up Savage Wolverine #6 also. I absolutely adore Joe Mad's stuff.

@end_boss: Now I'm curious what's on your pull list.

negazurg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss said:

Read Civil War. Talk to no one about it before you do. Go in without preconceptions. I for one will be interested to hear what you think once you reach the other side.

EDIT: Do the same for Avengers vs. X-Men.

Definitely will do! I have already read Avengers vs. X-Men and all I have to say about that is I HATE CYCLOPS.

Great picks! Especially Scarlet Spider, All New X-Men, and Deadpool. You should definitely read Daredevil too!

I have been interested in Daredevil! Are you talking about the newest run?

Been hearing so much hype about this "Scarlet Spider" book. Think I might have to give it a spin.

Yes! Do it! The newest issue was great!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: You should definitely get Savage Wolverine #6. The story is fun and Joe Mad hit it out of the park with his art!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negazurg:

If you enjoy kind of dark stories and alternate dimension stuff you might give Captain America a try, Rick Remender (writer) and John Romita Jr. (artist) are doing great things, and currently have him in an alternate dimension, Dimension Z, but start with Captain America #1 from Marvel Now. As the current arc is almost over.

Also welcome to the Vine. :-)

negazurg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tg1982 said:

@negazurg:

If you enjoy kind of dark stories and alternate dimension stuff you might give Captain America a try, Rick Remender (writer) and John Romita Jr. (artist) are doing great things, and currently have him in an alternate dimension, Dimension Z, but start with Captain America #1 from Marvel Now. As the current arc is almost over.

Also welcome to the Vine. :-)

I might have to check that out! I have always found Captain America kind of silly, but if Remender is writing it, it might be more my speed. Thanks! :)

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@negazurg: Excelent first post. You should try out some DC comics. They've been doing some great stuff with New 52, and I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on those.

And welcome to Comic Vine! :)

negazurg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negazurg: Excelent first post. You should try out some DC comics. They've been doing some great stuff with New 52, and I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on those.

And welcome to Comic Vine! :)

Thank you! I have been wanting to, but cost has been keeping me away. I like marvel unlimited because I can try out different series without having to pay any extra. If I were to start with DC, what would you recommend?

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@negazurg said:

-Modern Amazing Spider-Man isn't very good. I started reading at the start of Brand New day(#546) and became extremely bored and stopped after issue 574. I skipped ahead and have been reading from the Spider-Island arc on, to get some back-story for Scarlet Spider and Superior Spider-Man.

A poster after my own heart. Yeah, I don't think Slott understands Spider-Man, or at least his Spider-Man is very contrived.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@negazurg: Hmm. Well, if you like dark stories I have to recomend Scott Snyder's Batman. Heck, I'd recomend it anyway. He's been doing an exceptional job, and a new story arc just started called Zero Year. its retelling Bats' origin for the New 52. A good place to jump in.

Batman/Superman has also been great. The series just started and it's setting up to be something big. It has a nice dark, Sci-Fi-horror feel to it.

But these are both 3.99, so if you want something a little cheaper I'd recommend;

Aquaman. Geoff Johns has been doing some great things with this title. His writing has made Aquaman one of my favorite characters.

Green Lantern. it got a new creative team last issue and it's been awesome!

Nightwing, has also been good. I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps. :)

negazurg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negazurg: Hmm. Well, if you like dark stories I have to recomend Scott Snyder's Batman. Heck, I'd recomend it anyway. He's been doing an exceptional job, and a new story arc just started called Zero Year. its retelling Bats' origin for the New 52. A good place to jump in.

Batman/Superman has also been great. The series just started and it's setting up to be something big. It has a nice dark, Sci-Fi-horror feel to it.

But these are both 3.99, so if you want something a little cheaper I'd recommend;

Aquaman. Geoff Johns has been doing some great things with this title. His writing has made Aquaman one of my favorite characters.

Green Lantern. it got a new creative team last issue and it's been awesome!

Nightwing, has also been good. I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps. :)

I might have to check some of those out! Thanks!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Nice picks. Scarlet Spider is da bomb!

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

First of all, welcome to CV! Very good selections! From Marvel I'd recommend Thor God of Thunder, Fantastic Four, FF and Indestructible Hulk. Other awesome stuff:

1. Thor by Walter Simonson
  2. Thor by J. Michael Straczynski
  3. Planet Hulk
  4. World War Hulk
  5. Captain America: the Winter Soldier
  6. The death of Captain America

If you want some DC recommendations I can help with that too!

Also, a pretty awesome non DC/Marvel series is TMNT by IDW