I just got a random 6 pack variety comics for christmas?

Truth_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Truth_Reborn

So I just two 6 pack comic books that seem to be older comics. The pack cost 3.99$ it says on here, but I haven't opened them yet. I know they're probably not worth much, but are they only for collecting? Or should I open them and read some of them? If I end up liking them would I be able to easily get into that series? The few comics I see from the back and front of the packages are something like:

Wolverine/Witchblade: Devil's reign chapter five?

Spawn, but it shows nothing on it in terms of what story or whatever it may be. Just says February 28th and there's some CC'95 thing in the bottom corner.

Superman 82: Back For Good! October 93.

Robotech The Macross Saga 5.

It was a variety pack to get me started in comics, since I've shown an interest in them lately, but haven't bought one myself.

If I end up liking some of these, would it be easy to get into them(as they are pretty old I think)? Or should I just leave them sealed and get into random things?

Sorry if this seems noobish. I am extremely new to comics. I was planning to get Superior spiderman, but if I like any of these I might want to try them out instead.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm sure they aren't worth anything so just read them. They aren't the best introduction to comics though. If you want to start readin you need to find a local comic book shop in your area. The you need to make a list of titles that you want to read and follow. You take that list to the shop and they will help you find a good starting point to read from and tell you averything you need to know about comics. Just tell them you're new. If you want recommendation from us viners, just ask!

Truth_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Truth_Reborn

I just got done reading Wolverine/Witchblade and it seemed boring at the beginning, but got really good.. Is he in all of the other stories? Because it said the next was supposed to be Witchblade/Elektra.
Would it be hard to get into this? That was pretty sweet.

Truth_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Truth_Reborn

Just finished spawn, which I also liked a lot.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read any of those titles but, if you got o a comic shop they'll find all the other older issues you are looking for. I'm glad you enjoyed those books btw. I've heard great things about Spawn.

batman922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truth_reborn: Welcome to the wonder world of comics my friend, I'm also new to comics (only been reading a little over a year) and just a piece of advise, dont limit yourself to just Marvel or DC. When I first started reading I only read Marvel and DC comics until my local comic shop owner forced me to buy Saga TPB Vol. 1 (lol well he didn't force me but he said he would pay me back if I didn't like it so it was hard to say no), I LOVED Saga and since then have branched into Valiant titles as well (X-O Manowar) and was not disappointed. So just keep an open mind and read what you like.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dud317

These packs generally aren't worth the paper they're printed on anymore. Think of it like a DVD 3 pack. It's simply designed towards the new reader. While you may not get into the specific story arc, it may introduce you to a new character, writer, artist, etc. If you're interested in a grab bag approach to see what you may like for a cheap investment, try the bargain boxes. They can range in age, usually up to just a couple of years old, but are usually as cheap as 25 cents or even 10 for a dollar if you find the right place. Comic shops also have sidewalk sales with even better deals. A particular time for this is Free Comic Book Day, the first Saturday in May, where new issues are given away for free and many shops have killer deals on back issues and whatnot. Just a heads up on the bargain boxes. They're not usually alphabetized an most shop owners have no idea what is in there. Think of it like going through a box at a garage sale. Could be a gem in there, but not usually. Good luck.

Truth_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. I'm not going to limit myself.
At first I was confused and thought these comics had to have been Marvel/DC, but there's some comics like Spawn, Savage Dragon, Witchblade, and some CrossGen comics in there, which look pretty cool.
I think this was a nice present, because it's giving me an idea about what I like in terms of comics and characters.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truth_reborn:Another idea is you can hit pretty much any large bookstore (Barnes and Noble, Books a Million etc) and find the trade paperback area. You get full story arcs (generally about 6 issues in length) for about $20 or so on average. Most of these stores don't have any issue with you looking through the books so you can skim (or read if you have that kind of time) and find what you like.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to recommend a few comics for you to check out.

- Thor: God of Thunder (Marvel)

- Green Lantern (DC)

- X-O Manowar (Valaint)

- Quantum & Woody (Valiant)

You can follow them by single issues monthly or you can just find the trade paperbacks if you are interested.

P.S. Valiant I'd the best publisher atm. They are awesome and you should definitely look into them.

batman922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batman922

I'm just going to recommend a few comics for you to check out.

- Thor: God of Thunder (Marvel)

- Green Lantern (DC)

- X-O Manowar (Valaint)

- Quantum & Woody (Valiant)

You can follow them by single issues monthly or you can just find the trade paperbacks if you are interested.

P.S. Valiant I'd the best publisher atm. They are awesome and you should definitely look into them.

I'll second all of these except Quantum & Woody (not because it's bad but because it haven't read it but I've heard great things), Thor: God of Thunder is AWESOME if you want to read that I would suggest starting at the beginning you don't want to miss out on the Godbomb or anything with Gorr in it cause I loved that story line.

Truth_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Truth_Reborn

I've had a post on here a few weeks ago talking about wanting to get into comics & They recommended a lot of things to me that I'll also be looking at.

If I'm not in range of a comic shop, would it be okay to order things online based on reviews and the such? Superior Spiderman was something I've been looking at, but after reading the WitchBlade thing with Wolverine, & The Spawn comic, those two both seem to interest me a lot. I did not like the Deity comic that I got though. I've yet to read the others yet.

Which I will probably do by the end of the day or tomorrow.

I'm very tempted to order WitchBlade Compendium Volume I (1248 Pages) on Amazing for $50, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Does Deadpool Classic have a lot of brutal scenes? (Blood, killing, etc, etc.) I assume so. Might actually pick up a few of those paperbacks, because I love comedy and seem to really like the brutal type comics.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ordering online is perfectly fine. I get my trade paperbacks online. And $50 for 1200 pages is a superb deal. So if you're into that, I say go for it.

batman922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the Deadpool & Cable series, there are 7 TPBs I think and I liked all of them, you could check those out if Cable intrests you at all.

Truth_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished Ripclaw. Not a big fan of that comic.
So far 2/4 I like.
I've got 8 more to read.

jackbensley777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By jackbensley777

@truth_reborn: itll be tough to jump on some older titles, all of marvels stough is great for jumping onto right now or next month. If you like DC you can always get a comic or trade or two from the new 52 and catch up. Up to issue 26 on their rebvoot