#1 Posted by Onemoreposter (4091 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, not quite, but a little bit. Back in the day, they gave Jean Paul Valley a bat symbol on his chest because DC thought a more direct connection between Azrael and Batman would boost the sales of Jean's book. Slowly, they realize that just wasn't the case. Now Jason Todd is wearing a bat symbol on his chest. It doesn't fit with his character. I realize he's been revised into more of an antihero, one who's more understanding and less vengeful in regards to Bruce, but that symbol just doesn't fit with the character.

Idk. Am I the only one tired of seeing the bat symbol whored out to try to boost the popularity of other characters?

#2 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't understand why they gave Jason Todd the bat symbol as well. I figured the mask, jacket and jumpsuit were enough. Then again, it's one of those Bat family things.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (4008 posts) - - Show Bio

For some characters, it makes sense for them to use it, like it or not. It's a symbol of your connection to Batman. Sort of a gang symbol, that tells everyone you know a dude who will come down with the force of God if you injure or kill people who carry that symbol. So if someone wears that symbol, and they're officially sanctioned by Batman, it's sort of a suit of armor on a whole different level. Bats has turned that symbol into a declaration of war against crime, a warning that when the symbol is shown, you have stepped onto a whole 'nother level of crap. Now I'm going to stop with the extrapolated metaphor.

Y'know how whenever you see someone dead with the big red lined smile and white skin, you instantly go, "Oh **** JOKER."

The Bat symbol is that for criminals.

#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

For some characters, it makes sense for them to use it, like it or not. It's a symbol of your connection to Batman. Sort of a gang symbol, that tells everyone you know a dude who will come down with the force of God if you injure or kill people who carry that symbol. So if someone wears that symbol, and they're officially sanctioned by Batman, it's sort of a suit of armor on a whole different level. Bats has turned that symbol into a declaration of war against crime, a warning that when the symbol is shown, you have stepped onto a whole 'nother level of crap. Now I'm going to stop with the extrapolated metaphor.

Y'know how whenever you see someone dead with the big red lined smile and white skin, you instantly go, "Oh **** JOKER."

The Bat symbol is that for criminals.

This is one of the best posts ever. You are a hero.

#5 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

The Original Batman symbol from the original Batman was the coolest i ever seen.

#6 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000 said:

The Original Batman symbol from the original Batman was the coolest i ever seen.

The Yellow Circle symbol, right? If not, then my bad. But that symbol is my favorite. Most iconic and whatnot.

#7 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

@TERMINATOR1000 said:

The Original Batman symbol from the original Batman was the coolest i ever seen.

The Yellow Circle symbol, right? If not, then my bad. But that symbol is my favorite. Most iconic and whatnot.

YES!!! The yellow one.

you know what they say.. nothing beats the original.

#8 Posted by The Stegman (25544 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Jason is wearing it to kind of mock Bruce, as if to say, "I'm gonna wear your symbol, and show you how to REALLY do business"

Online
#9 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

batman is a ho.

#10 Posted by Jayso4201 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000: Batman didn't originally have the yellow around his symbol that wasn't until the 60's or 70's when they wanted to make him more like Superman.

#11 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jayso4201

I thought the symbol looked similar to this. not 100% identical, but damn close to it.

#12 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@JonSmith said:

For some characters, it makes sense for them to use it, like it or not. It's a symbol of your connection to Batman. Sort of a gang symbol, that tells everyone you know a dude who will come down with the force of God if you injure or kill people who carry that symbol. So if someone wears that symbol, and they're officially sanctioned by Batman, it's sort of a suit of armor on a whole different level. Bats has turned that symbol into a declaration of war against crime, a warning that when the symbol is shown, you have stepped onto a whole 'nother level of crap. Now I'm going to stop with the extrapolated metaphor.

Y'know how whenever you see someone dead with the big red lined smile and white skin, you instantly go, "Oh **** JOKER."

The Bat symbol is that for criminals.

This is one of the best posts ever. You are a hero.

Co-signed. Exactly what I was going to say, but probably not as good.

#13 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

I noticed too they change the bat symbol all the time.

#14 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000 said:

The Original Batman symbol from the original Batman was the coolest i ever seen.

Totally agree

#15 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn: i dont know if it looks 100% to the real bat symbol, but if not it looks awfully damn close.

#16 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@JonSmith said:

For some characters, it makes sense for them to use it, like it or not. It's a symbol of your connection to Batman. Sort of a gang symbol, that tells everyone you know a dude who will come down with the force of God if you injure or kill people who carry that symbol. So if someone wears that symbol, and they're officially sanctioned by Batman, it's sort of a suit of armor on a whole different level. Bats has turned that symbol into a declaration of war against crime, a warning that when the symbol is shown, you have stepped onto a whole 'nother level of crap. Now I'm going to stop with the extrapolated metaphor.

Y'know how whenever you see someone dead with the big red lined smile and white skin, you instantly go, "Oh **** JOKER."

The Bat symbol is that for criminals.

This is one of the best posts ever. You are a hero.

Co-signed. Exactly what I was going to say, but probably not as good.

Yes.

#17 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@ragdollpurps said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@JonSmith said:

For some characters, it makes sense for them to use it, like it or not. It's a symbol of your connection to Batman. Sort of a gang symbol, that tells everyone you know a dude who will come down with the force of God if you injure or kill people who carry that symbol. So if someone wears that symbol, and they're officially sanctioned by Batman, it's sort of a suit of armor on a whole different level. Bats has turned that symbol into a declaration of war against crime, a warning that when the symbol is shown, you have stepped onto a whole 'nother level of crap. Now I'm going to stop with the extrapolated metaphor.

Y'know how whenever you see someone dead with the big red lined smile and white skin, you instantly go, "Oh **** JOKER."

The Bat symbol is that for criminals.

This is one of the best posts ever. You are a hero.

Co-signed. Exactly what I was going to say, but probably not as good.

Yes.

Purps. No one could have explained this better!

#18 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn: Glitch. I agree! xD

#19 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@ragdollpurps said:

@Glitch_Spawn: Glitch. I agree! xD

#20 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn:

#21 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@TERMINATOR1000 said:

The Original Batman symbol from the original Batman was the coolest i ever seen.

Totally agree

That's not the original symbol. That only came up in the mid sixties.

#22 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom: well i think it looks similar to the original symbol.

do you have a pic of the original symbol?

#23 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000: It really looks nothing like. This was the original:

#24 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom: thats the bat symbol on his chest?

#25 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000: Yes?

#26 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@TERMINATOR1000: Yes?

Ok well this was long before my time so.

#27 Posted by Jayso4201 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000: Long before my time as well but yeah that's the original.

#28 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jayso4201 said:

@TERMINATOR1000: Long before my time as well but yeah that's the original.

ok thanks though for the scan, but like when the show ends it use to show a bat symbol similar to the one i was showing, but that was a newer version of batman and i didnt know if the original one looked like that, but it must of looked like the one you showed that was on the original batmans chest.

#29 Posted by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jayso4201 said:

@TERMINATOR1000: Batman didn't originally have the yellow around his symbol that wasn't until the 60's or 70's when they wanted to make him more like Superman.

I think it was 1964. Carmine Infantino started to illustrate the Bats series and he created that logo (which is also my favorite Bats logo).

#30 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

I didn't understand why they gave Jason Todd the bat symbol as well. I figured the mask, jacket and jumpsuit were enough. Then again, it's one of those Bat family things.