#1 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only person who is getting tired of this whole thing? You know where a characters villains doesn't something crazy that almost kills them or someone they love and they just put them in jail? Where they know they will break out and have to fight them again? I mean I can see if you let people live on petty crimes but where is the line drawn? Why are superheroes such tough guys but they can't take a life? I'm not saying everyone should be like the Punisher..but if I was someone like Spider-Man and Green Goblin made me kill the hot blonde who was too good for me...I would have stuffed a pumpkin bomb in his mouth! I mean Iron Man I admire because he plays the superhero role but he has a limit.If you go to far...he will kill you and do it pretty harshly.

Any thoughts on this?
#2 Posted by Silent Reaper (128 posts) - - Show Bio

It does get annoying... but I guess the writers want to say that the superhero believes so strongly in their morals that they will follow them no matter what. But overall the whole "I'm not gonna kill thing" is a little cliche now and boring.

#3 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Am I the only person who is getting tired of this whole thing? You know where a characters villains doesn't something crazy that almost kills them or someone they love and they just put them in jail? Where they know they will break out and have to fight them again? I mean I can see if you let people live on petty crimes but where is the line drawn? Why are superheroes such tough guys but they can't take a life? I'm not saying everyone should be like the Punisher..but if I was someone like Spider-Man and Green Goblin made me kill the hot blonde who was too good for me...I would have stuffed a pumpkin bomb in his mouth! I mean Iron Man I admire because he plays the superhero role but he has a limit.If you go to far...he will kill you and do it pretty harshly.
Any thoughts on this?
"
LOL When they do finally kill, it's funny.  Emma Frost shot her sister, Storm killed several people.....there aren't a lot of heroes that kill.  It's pretty unfortunate.
#4 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Psylocke killed her would be rapist.

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Psylocke,Emma,and Storm are mutants.Not to say they aren't superheroes but the X-men and other X-teams generally take alot of lives.X-Force especially.
#6 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

It's unfortunate that heroes don't kill their enemies? I disagree. I think it speaks to their higher moral fiber, and serves to separate them from the villains they fight, that the heroes don't take lives . I'm far more inclined to admire a hero who finds a way to triumph in the least violent way possible, than to admire one that goes for the simple "final solution".

#7 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

This was when the X-men had their, "X-men don't kill" policy in place.

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Slinger said:
"It's unfortunate that heroes don't kill their enemies? I disagree. I think it speaks to their higher moral fiber, and serves to separate them from the villains they fight, that the heroes don't take lives . I'm far more inclined to admire a hero who finds a way to triumph in the least violent way possible, than to admire one that goes for the simple "final solution".
"
Yes...but they all do it.It's like for once can some heroes be assholes and just off their villains.You have to suspect at some point it would be just impulse to go overboard...
#9 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
Slinger said:
"It's unfortunate that heroes don't kill their enemies? I disagree. I think it speaks to their higher moral fiber, and serves to separate them from the villains they fight, that the heroes don't take lives . I'm far more inclined to admire a hero who finds a way to triumph in the least violent way possible, than to admire one that goes for the simple "final solution".
"
Dr. Light shouldn't be alive.
#10 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Slinger said:
"
Yes...but they all do it.It's like for once can some heroes be assholes and just off their villains.You have to suspect at some point it would be just impulse to go overboard...
"
Like Luke Cage and Purple Man
#11 Edited by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Slinger said:
"
"
Like Luke Cage and Purple Man
"
Purple Man raped his wife.It had to happen.
I mean more like Batman and Joker.
#12 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

but he didn't kill him, he stopped and let him live ]=

#13 Edited by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"but he didn't kill him, he stopped and let him live ]=
I know but that's not realistic.Especially with Cage's temper.That's why I said earlier wouldn't you think at some point it would be just impulse to go overboard.I know from experience.When I start whaling on someone..If someone doesn't break it up..I'm not even thinking about stopping until I'm out of breath.
And I said more like Batman and Joker because with the stupid sh#t Joker does..you would think he would have killed him by now.
#14 Posted by Lunacyde (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is one character that I believe is enriched by not killing....its part of Batman by now....if you think of superheroes that have been pushed to that line and still had the willpower and moral strength not to kill the enemy you think Batman.

#15 Posted by Erik (31685 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Am I the only person who is getting tired of this whole thing? You know where a characters villains doesn't something crazy that almost kills them or someone they love and they just put them in jail? Where they know they will break out and have to fight them again? I mean I can see if you let people live on petty crimes but where is the line drawn? Why are superheroes such tough guys but they can't take a life? I'm not saying everyone should be like the Punisher..but if I was someone like Spider-Man and Green Goblin made me kill the hot blonde who was too good for me...I would have stuffed a pumpkin bomb in his mouth! I mean Iron Man I admire because he plays the superhero role but he has a limit.If you go to far...he will kill you and do it pretty harshly.
Any thoughts on this?
"
The only one I feel should be "bound" by this law is Superman. Everyone else I imagine would have done it by now realistically. To be honest, it does get very old sometimes. Batman should have done it years ago.
#16 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't believe a heroes first instinct should be to kill, but take Batman for example, how many lives would he have saved had he just killed the Joker years ago? It becomes ridiculous after awhile and in my opinion completely defeats the purpose. Batman starts to become just as responsible as the Joker if for no other reason then he wont do what needs to be done. There's an episode of Justice League Unlimited were Luthor tells Superman that he needs him, that he likes being the hero so much that he wont kill him even though he knows its the only way to stop him. Cause if Sups just went through and cleaned out the villains then the World would no longer need a hero like him.

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"I don't believe a heroes first instinct should be to kill, but take Batman for example, how many lives would he have saved had he just killed the Joker years ago? It becomes ridiculous after awhile and in my opinion completely defeats the purpose. Batman starts to become just as responsible as the Joker if for no other reason then he wont do what needs to be done. There's an episode of Justice League Unlimited were Luthor tells Superman that he needs him, that he likes being the hero so much that he wont kill him even though he knows its the only way to stop him. Cause if Sups just went through and cleaned out the villains then the World would no longer need a hero like him.
"
I agree.The whole thing with Lex may be true too.
#18 Posted by Lunacyde (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

Why should it fall upon the heroes to kiill? Instead of putting them in prison you think they would get detah penalty.....straight to the injection table...the law is just as much, if not more at fault IMO Gambler.

#19 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"Why should it fall upon the heroes to kiill? Instead of putting them in prison you think they would get detah penalty.....straight to the injection table...the law is just as much, if not more at fault IMO Gambler."
Because heroes are people to and just like any of us..sometimes killing may not be an option until the motive presents itself.
#20 Edited by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"Why should it fall upon the heroes to kiill? Instead of putting them in prison you think they would get detah penalty.....straight to the injection table...the law is just as much, if not more at fault IMO Gambler."
I don't disagree with this. But in comics it seems like the law is a non factor. i mean how many times do they have to lock up the Joker in Arkum, only to have him escape? Also some villains cant be caught or locked up. The cops cant stop Zoom or contain him, only the Flash can. Same with Grundy and other high level threats. I agree the city of Gotham should have gassed the Joker long ago, but for whatever reason they havent or cant. But there are people out there who could make sure he can never hurt anyone ever again. Heroes, but only if they're willing to do what needs to be done. I understand their moral code and I respect it. But the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one lmfao
#21 Posted by Lunacyde (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just saying its not all Batmans fault becsause of the Joker....its his job to catch him and bring him to justice....after thta its up to the justice system....like he said in Batman Begins he cannot be judge, jury, and executioner all in one...if thye are dumb enough to not sentence him to immediate death IO dont think you can blame the man who is doing his job and keeping his morals in tact.

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"I am just saying its not all Batmans fault becsause of the Joker....its his job to catch him and bring him to justice....after thta its up to the justice system....like he said in Batman Begins he cannot be judge, jury, and executioner all in one...if thye are dumb enough to not sentence him to immediate death IO dont think you can blame the man who is doing his job and keeping his morals in tact."
Yea but after the Joker endangers the lives of so many people over and over...at some point I don't see a reason not to kill him or at least paralyze him.
#23 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"I am just saying its not all Batmans fault becsause of the Joker....its his job to catch him and bring him to justice....after thta its up to the justice system....like he said in Batman Begins he cannot be judge, jury, and executioner all in one...if thye are dumb enough to not sentence him to immediate death IO dont think you can blame the man who is doing his job and keeping his morals in tact."
Its not all his fault, but (in the comic world) he's the only one, and he knows it, who can put an end to the Joker. Lets be honest, the Joker does what he does to attract Batman's attention and Batman knows it. He knows after capturing the Joker its only a matter of time before he escapes and commits another deadly crime. And in my opinion him knowing whats going to happen but not doing the one thing that will end it makes him responsible.
#24 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
White Mage said:
"Slinger said:
"
"
1) Dr. Light is dead.
2) Because he's a rapist right?  And rape is worse than murder right?  I'm so ****ing tired of people hating on Dr. Light for being a rapist.  Yeah, rape is bad but there are dozens of murders in comic books and I never hear anybody say "Oh, I just hate Lex Luthor because he's a murderer" or "Oh, the Red Skull deserves to die because he's a murderer."
#25 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"White Mage said:
"Slinger said:
"
"
1) Dr. Light is dead.
2) Because he's a rapist right?  And rape is worse than murder right?  I'm so ****ing tired of people hating on Dr. Light for being a rapist.  Yeah, rape is bad but there are dozens of murders in comic books and I never hear anybody say "Oh, I just hate Lex Luthor because he's a murderer" or "Oh, the Red Skull deserves to die because he's a murderer.""
I cant speak for everyone (and I dont hate Dr. Late for the rape) but rape for some reason just seems so much more.....vicious and despicable then murder. It doesn't really make much sense but it is what it is.
#26 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"I cant speak for everyone (and I dont hate Dr. Late for the rape) but rape for some reason just seems so much more.....vicious and despicable then murder."
Its not, though.

You can be raped and move on with your life.  Nobody ever gets over being murdered.
#27 Posted by Lunacyde (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I agree Gambler....they have to do it basically so Joker can keep being in comics and I am just saying that hey they could just put him up for immediate death penalty instead of putting him in prison cuz we all know he'll escape.

#28 Posted by Lunacyde (17966 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I agree Gambler....they have to do it basically so Joker can keep being in comics and I am just saying that hey they could just put him up for immediate death penalty instead of putting him in prison cuz we all know he'll escape.

#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"Gambler said:
"I cant speak for everyone (and I dont hate Dr. Late for the rape) but rape for some reason just seems so much more.....vicious and despicable then murder."
Its not, though.

You can be raped and move on with your life.  Nobody ever gets over being murdered."
LMFAO.It is actually because rape is more like torture.Sure you live but that never leaves your mind where if someone headshots you..your dead.What do you have to think about..you never saw it coming.
#30 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"Gambler said:
Its not, though.

You can be raped and move on with your life.  Nobody ever gets over being murdered."
Thats a whole nother issue (the moving on with your life part) that I'm not touching. And like I said, it doesn't make sense. It doesnt bother me the Luthor murders people, but Dr. Light's rape of Sue Dinby bothers me. Hercules' rape of Wonder Woman's mother bother's me. Yet when Sue was murdered, it didnt affect me the same way as her rape. Dont know why it just did.
#31 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"Yea I agree Gambler....they have to do it basically so Joker can keep being in comics and I am just saying that hey they could just put him up for immediate death penalty instead of putting him in prison cuz we all know he'll escape."
agreed.

Vance Astro said:
"It is actually because rape is more like torture."
I think that might be a large part of it.

#32 Posted by Erik (31685 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Zoom said:
"Gambler said:
Its not, though.

Thats a whole nother issue (the moving on with your life part) that I'm not touching. And like I said, it doesn't make sense. It doesnt bother me the Luthor murders people, but Dr. Light's rape of Sue Dinby bothers me. Hercules' rape of Wonder Woman's mother bother's me. Yet when Sue was murdered, it didnt affect me the same way as her rape. Dont know why it just did.
"
It is probably good that it is not an issue that gets touched. Anyone that can be that calloused to the issue of rape clearly does not know anyone that has been. I have talked to women that would rather have died. Most people never truly recover from it.
#33 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Thats a whole nother issue (the moving on with your life part) that I'm not touching."
I didn't say it was an easy or quick process.  It takes years and many people never completely get over it at all.

But that being said, most can still have a worthwhile life and at the end of the day (and I mean that metaphorically, not at the end of the day that they are raped or even a month later), I'd imagine the ones that do do not wish they had been murdered instead.

To me, a murder is infinitely more tragic than a rape.  Think of all the things you enjoyed today.  The comic book you read.  The movie you watched.  The friend you talked to.  The meal you ate.  The hug you received.  Hell, just the nice feeling of being outside on a warm day or that pretty girl that smiled at you when you were walking to class.  I know I'm the last person you'd expect to hear this from but every day is a gift.  When somebody is murdered, that's the equivalent of taking a billion tiny metaphorical gifts that they will receive every day (not to mention the hundreds of amazing things that happen to each of us in our lifetimes).  Not only that, you deny everyone around them the joy of being with that person, of talking to them and sharing part of their story.

A rape may taint those moments.  Make that person pull away when they should embrace someone or feel fear and anger and shame when they should feel happiness.  Its awful and scars the victim emotionally worse than just about anything you can live through.  But it doesn't take life away.  To equivilate rape to murder or to label it as a worse offense is frankly an insult to life.  Life after rape is still life and it is still worth living.

erik said:
"Anyone that can be that calloused to the issue of rape clearly does not know anyone that has been."
As usual, I don't think you have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

However, that is the furthest I am willing to discuss such an adult issue with an intellectual child like you.
#34 Posted by Hidden (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is a supposedly "Hero" yet he kills?

Then again thats why there is a thing called neutral.

#35 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Hidden said:
"Batman is a supposedly "Hero" yet he kills?

Then again thats why there is a thing called neutral."
Hero doesn't mean not killing people,
#36 Posted by Hidden (116 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Zoom said:
"Gambler said:
Its not, though.

"
Thats because Murder is one thing, when a horrible crime is made and somebody "Dies" either a horrible slow death or a nice and fast death. And then theres Rape, when something terriblle and traumatic happens, but the person isnt dead.

Would you rather be horribly abused and raped and still be alive? Or be murdered and just have it done with?
#37 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"Gambler said:
"Thats a whole nother issue (the moving on with your life part) that I'm not touching."
I didn't say it was an easy or quick process.  It takes years and many people never completely get over it at all.

But that being said, most can still have a worthwhile life and at the end of the day (and I mean that metaphorically, not at the end of the day that they are raped or even a month later), I'd imagine the ones that do do not wish they had been murdered instead.

To me, a murder is infinitely more tragic than a rape.  Think of all the things you enjoyed today.  The comic book you read.  The movie you watched.  The friend you talked to.  The meal you ate.  The hug you received.  Hell, just the nice feeling of being outside on a warm day or that pretty girl that smiled at you when you were walking to class.  I know I'm the last person you'd expect to hear this from but every day is a gift.  When somebody is murdered, that's the equivalent of taking a billion tiny metaphorical gifts that they will receive every day (not to mention the hundreds of amazing things that happen to each of us in our lifetimes).  Not only that, you deny everyone around them the joy of being with that person, of talking to them and sharing part of their story.

A rape may taint those moments.  Make that person pull away when they should embrace someone or feel fear and anger and shame when they should feel happiness.  Its awful and scars the victim emotionally worse than just about anything you can live through.  But it doesn't take life away.  To equivilate rape to murder or to label it as a worse offense is frankly an insult to life.  Life after rape is still life and it is still worth living.
I think murder is more tragic to the people you love more than you yourself.It's more tragic to think about your death...but I mean after you die there's nothing to think about.I guess it all depends on how your killed.Based on your belief system..dying is actually the best thing you can do.You could be off to heaven..a better place.I think it's alot easier to get over someone being killed than someone being raped especially if they are the victim.Rape sometimes leads to the vicitm getting murdered too or them committing suicide.I'm not a woman but I would assume when women found about that Ted Bundy thing (you know the guy who raped in murdered over 100 women) they were distressed..to think they could be lured into a position where they couldn't defend themselves and then used has to take a toll on someone.

Life is worth living but how can you be sad about all the things you won't be able to enjoy when your dead if you not alive to think about?
#38 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
Hidden said:
"Thats because Murder is one thing, when a horrible crime is made and somebody "Dies" either a horrible slow death or a nice and fast death. And then theres Rape, when something terriblle and traumatic happens, but the person isnt dead.

Would you rather be horribly abused and raped and still be alive? Or be murdered and just have it done with?
"
? Not sure what your trying to say here. So I'll just say again (in my opinion) rape is worse then murder (in terms of the way it makes me feel) I also said I didn't know why or that it made sense.

@Zoom I'm not going to debate the lasting effects rape victims have or don't have. Your views on rape are just that, your own. I'm sure some people can and do get over it. I'm also just as sure there are those who dont. That's as far as I'm going to debate the issue.

#39 Posted by Hidden (116 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Hidden said:
"Thats because Murder is one thing, when a horrible crime is made and somebody "Dies" either a horrible slow death or a nice and fast death. And then theres Rape, when something terriblle and traumatic happens, but the person isnt dead.

"
? Not sure what your trying to say here. So I'll just say again (in my opinion) rape is worse then murder (in terms of the way it makes me feel) I also said I didn't know why or that it made sense.

@Zoom I'm not going to debate the lasting effects rape victims have or don't have. Your views on rape are just that, your own. I'm sure some people can and do get over it. I'm also just as sure there are those who dont. That's as far as I'm going to debate the issue.

"
Basically im just agreeing with you, Its just i was drunk when i wrote that, but anyway im just saying this to see if you relate or can figure out why you feel more affected by it then murder.

In my opinion I feel rape affects people more cus they have to live with it for the rest of there lives knowing that somebody who they didnt like forced thereselves upon them.

Wow reading this back to myself really makes me realize that I am not entirely sober.
#40 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Aren't you 14?

#41 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL I gotcha now. Sorry, I'm up waaaay to early. Anyway, I think Vance had it right the first time. I think its the element of torture that comes with rape (I understand its also present in some murders and those cases disturb me as well). In Allstar Batman & Robin, the Joker chokes a female victim to death and its pretty in your face. That murder bothered me and I believe its do to the prolonged suffering of the victim.

Seriously now, I'm done talking about this subject :P

#42 Posted by Hidden (116 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Aren't you 14?
"

Who me? Idk i forgot already.
#43 Edited by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Aren't you 14?
"
Yeah I am, but dont tell Babs. I dont think she'd like it.
#44 Posted by Hidden (116 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
"Aren't you 14?
"
"
lol. wait youre not really are you?
#45 Edited by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"LOL I gotcha now. Sorry, I'm up waaaay to early. Anyway, I think Vance had it right the first time. I think its the element of torture that comes with rape (I understand its also present in some murders and those cases disturb me as well). In Allstar Batman & Robin, the Joker chokes a female victim to death and its pretty in your face. That murder bothered me and I believe its do to the prolonged suffering of the victim.

Seriously now, I'm done talking about this subject :P
"
The difference I see with rape and murder is..rape victims live on and people who are murdered do not.You can't feel anything about the situation when your dead.Based on your beliefs in religion and what not too..you might believe you are going to a better place anyway.What's better? Heaven or Earth? Living tortured after rape..or living with no worries in the world? Not saying that is actually what happens when you die..because I don't know.I do know it's more likely that you won't be haunted by your own death.
#46 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
Hidden said:
"Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
"Aren't you 14?
"
"
lol. wait youre not really are you?
"
Nah. Jus being silly.
#47 Posted by kuchiku (4070 posts) - - Show Bio

God it feels hella wierd in this account! Mabye I should just stick to this account instead of creating so many diffrent other ones? BTW sooo much better at RPGing now lol.

#48 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio

KUCHIKU?

#49 Posted by kuchiku (4070 posts) - - Show Bio

HA! Scary isnt it! Guess what!?! Im Hidden, Kidder, Kokunarie, Ayami, Kiesha_The_Vampire_slayer, Agent_DEATH, Fortune, Raw, blah blah blah blah blah Hella other accounts any way yeah im coming back so Be Ready!

#50 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"I don't believe a heroes first instinct should be to kill, but take Batman for example, how many lives would he have saved had he just killed the Joker years ago? It becomes ridiculous after awhile and in my opinion completely defeats the purpose. Batman starts to become just as responsible as the Joker if for no other reason then he wont do what needs to be done. There's an episode of Justice League Unlimited were Luthor tells Superman that he needs him, that he likes being the hero so much that he wont kill him even though he knows its the only way to stop him. Cause if Sups just went through and cleaned out the villains then the World would no longer need a hero like him.
"
I remember that one, although Superman did kill him there =)