I call bull...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

asxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By asxz

I call bull on idiot, point-chasing twerps who add issues to the database without reading them so that the information they add is incomplete. They copy-paste blurbs from other sites which the powers-that-be claim isn't plagiarism and then guess who is in the issue based on a pre-release image of the cover.

This is bull.

I would have used stronger language but I have been told this is an all-ages site and we cannot use the full phrase. For the record, I call bull on that too.

Feel free to chime in.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

do characters that appear on the cover but not within the pages of an issue belong on in there?

I.e. Beast On the cover of astonishing 26 but not within the pages
asxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By asxz

It's a good question and one that should be up for debate.

My personal code is that I try not to add a character to the issue unless they have at least one line of dialogue. That removes the background players in team books like when the entire Justice League assembles to listen to Superman in a double page splash, but they don't actually do anything.

I also don't add characters if they appear in a one panel flashback or if they are clearly a shapeshifter temporarily taking on another's form.

So my answer to your query would be not to include Beast if he's on the cover but not inside the book, but I'm happy to hear from others.

My initial point, was more about the abundance of characters that get left out of the database when they have a key role and several speeches in a particular issue. It shows me that the contributor has never read the book and is just point-chasing.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

HORN!

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Meteorite

What I find annoying is how we're not allowed to add something like Web Shooters that appear in heaps of issues to all the issues it appears in, only the "significant issues".

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NiteFly
Out of all of the comic books uploaded onto the site thus far, many are still unaccounted for.  I don't know that I agree about your "point-chasing" argument because adding information that wasn't there before does serve to enrich the encyclopedia.  I would prefer partial information that people can locate (as is the case with many issues in the DB) rather than having those issues left out completely.

Meteorite
said:
"What I find annoying is how we're not allowed to add something like Web Shooters that appear in heaps of issues to all the issues it appears in, only the "significant issues"."
So you would have the "Marvel Universe" concept added to all Marvel comic books?  Likewise Earth-616 to all comics in the primary cannon (which is most Marvel books)?  The same goes for superpowers, mutant, x-gene, etc to any book that contained any mutants?.  To add things objects, concepts, and locations based on the criteria that they appeared in the issue (or in some small way related to the issue) would make adding issues ridiculous, and would make their pages incredibly convoluted.
Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Resonate
asxz said:
"I call bull on idiot, point-chasing twerps who add issues to the database without reading them so that the information they add is incomplete. They copy-paste blurbs from other sites which the powers-that-be claim isn't plagiarism and then guess who is in the issue based on a pre-release image of the cover.

This is bull.

I would have used stronger language but I have been told this is an all-ages site and we cannot use the full phrase. For the record, I call bull on that too.

Feel free to chime in."
I can completely concur with you on this. Its annoying as I dont know what, and needs to be struck down, people keep adding things just for points and they know literally nothing about a character/volume other than its name/title. I get so annoyed with having to fix some of this crap, I want to literally cry blood half of the time
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Don't care if people are point chasing or not, if the information is accurate there's nothing wrong with adding an issue & creators only or characters only. There's never been any hint at a policy that you have to own the issue & scan your cover before uploading it, if that were true the initial database wouldn't have been created. Its also been reiterated a half dozen times that the promo blurbs for new issues are ok to add to the issue overviews, G-Man has done it himself, there's nothing wrong with that. There's a difference between that and taking a detailed issue description from wiki or uncannyxmen or whatever. Whats NOT ok is submitting the Marvel.com or whatever promo cover without the logo, #, barcode, etc.

Also if a character appears in the comic, I don't care if they're standing on the bridge a mile in the background, I'll put it in there, including flashbacks, etc. One because the character is actually depicted, two because its more complete & I don't need to get a headache considering whether every character in the issue meets some arbitrary minimum appearance threshold, three there's no harm in doing it. Is there concern that the anal retentive collector is going to buy an issue & be disappointed when their favorite character only appears in a group of other characters with no lines? We have no way of designating cameos or illusions right now without writing it in the overview, better to have the character attached to the issue then not at all.

There's really not that many rules here as far as submitting goes, I'm not seeing the need to add more.

Avatar image for vlad_tepes_dracula
Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

wooo welcome back Shatterstar

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Last_Guardian
asxz said:
"I call bull on idiot, point-chasing twerps who add issues to the database without reading them so that the information they add is incomplete. They copy-paste blurbs from other sites which the powers-that-be claim isn't plagiarism and then guess who is in the issue based on a pre-release image of the cover.

This is bull.

Feel free to chime in."
so now i have to read every comic i submit? well, if that was the case many of the older comics that aren't even on the market anymore wouldn't even be in our database, cause no one can read them....Seriously, when people submit issues or volumes or whatever, they do it to add info to the site.  I think if we were all just looking for points we would just spend our time adding crappy fan art pics, but no we take our time adding issues....if the info is incompete..then complete it for us! having at least basic info is better than having nothing.  Every time i see you, you're here complaining about how everything here sucks.  Just shut the hell up and submit what you can.  You say this is bull? everything you say is bull! all your petty complaints and childish criticisms. just shut...up...I don't think the mods and admins here wanna see any needless b!tchiness on the forums anymore.
asxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By asxz
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"asxz said:

This is bull.

Feel free to chime in."
so now i have to read every comic i submit? well, if that was the case many of the older comics that aren't even on the market anymore wouldn't even be in our database, cause no one can read them....Seriously, when people submit issues or volumes or whatever, they do it to add info to the site.  I think if we were all just looking for points we would just spend our time adding crappy fan art pics, but no we take our time adding issues....if the info is incompete..then complete it for us! having at least basic info is better than having nothing.  Every time i see you, you're here complaining about how everything here sucks.  Just shut the hell up and submit what you can.  You say this is bull? everything you say is bull! all your petty complaints and childish criticisms. just shut...up...I don't think the mods and admins here wanna see any needless b!tchiness on the forums anymore."

Point-chasing twerp.
asxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By asxz
aztek the lost said:
"umm...okay...now I suddenly feel guilty for adding over 1500 issues to 2000 AD, I probably should've read all of them first, damn, that's the last time I try and make this database the best on the Internet...me and my stupid craving for points

-_-"
Really. That's what you're claiming? You personally are trying to make this database the best on the Internet?
Let's compare, shall we. This is an example of your unread issue, piss-poor attempt at adding issues of 2000 AD versus another wiki-based site. Which one looks more like it's trying to be the best database on the Internet?

http://www.comicvine.com/2000-ad-/37-128828/
http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=55781

By adding this issue without reading it, you have severely limited the chance that anyone will ever go back and add more complete information. In essence, you have ensured that the database will NEVER be the best on the Internet. I think it would have been more helpful for you to have left this issue blank thereby alerting someone who was prepared to put more effort into things that there was a gap that needed filling.
Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Last_Guardian
asxz said:
"Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"asxz said:

This is bull.

Feel free to chime in."
so now i have to read every comic i submit? well, if that was the case many of the older comics that aren't even on the market anymore wouldn't even be in our database, cause no one can read them....Seriously, when people submit issues or volumes or whatever, they do it to add info to the site.  I think if we were all just looking for points we would just spend our time adding crappy fan art pics, but no we take our time adding issues....if the info is incompete..then complete it for us! having at least basic info is better than having nothing.  Every time i see you, you're here complaining about how everything here sucks.  Just shut the hell up and submit what you can.  You say this is bull? everything you say is bull! all your petty complaints and childish criticisms. just shut...up...I don't think the mods and admins here wanna see any needless b!tchiness on the forums anymore."

Point-chasing twerp."
bitter a-hole with no life :)
Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Last_Guardian

the only point chaser i see here is you asxz ..ur just pissed cause if everyone else submits a lot, you won't get to submit it yourself.  A little info is better than no info.  So many times, I've gone and I've seen issues that have no characters or no creators, and you know what? i add them! wow..what a concept...actually helping instead of complainaing like a 10 year old child to the admins and mods.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Resonate
asxz said:
"aztek the lost said:
"umm...okay...now I suddenly feel guilty for adding over 1500 issues to 2000 AD, I probably should've read all of them first, damn, that's the last time I try and make this database the best on the Internet...me and my stupid craving for points

-_-"
Really. That's what you're claiming? You personally are trying to make this database the best on the Internet?
Let's compare, shall we. This is an example of your unread issue, piss-poor attempt at adding issues of 2000 AD versus another wiki-based site. Which one looks more like it's trying to be the best database on the Internet?

By adding this issue without reading it, you have severely limited the chance that anyone will ever go back and add more complete information. In essence, you have ensured that the database will NEVER be the best on the Internet. I think it would have been more helpful for you to have left this issue blank thereby alerting someone who was prepared to put more effort into things that there was a gap that needed filling.
"
Maybe rather than bitching and sitting on your lazy back you could try and add it in yourself?
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
aztek the lost said:
"asxz said:
"aztek the lost said:

-_-"

"
well, actually, I added all the issues so more people would notice the series seeing as no one ever did -_-

but besides that I have been working to fill them out, but if you want to help, it'd always be appreciated"
As a person who spends one horrible day a week in a comic store. People like Aztek have made my days a little easier. For example, remember when Marvel decided to put all their issue numbers on the bottom of each issue? Now, say a person comes in and asks for a comic from that era, I usually know which numbers are associated with that, but don't have the covers memorized. I go onto Comicvine and search for the issue. Now, I know what the cover looks like. I can go into the back issues and not have to fully pull out that 2 year run just to find the issue number. Wow, I saved a couple of minutes and a buttload of aggravation.

There are many people on this site dedicated to making the site better when it comes to back issues. They will get filled out eventually. If it weren't for him, chances are half those books would have NEVER been put on.

As for your comparison between this site and the site I need magnifying glasses to read, both pages lack information, but at least I can read comic vine's page.

Calm down, take a Valium.

Aztek, thanks.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By King_Saturn
What the Hell happened here ?  What happened to the OP ?