I am out of the comic loop HELP PLEASE!!

genius1265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I grew up watching Super Hero Cartoons.. Batman and Spiderman from the 90's. I almost always go to Midnight showings for almost every comic movie. I'm 27 and I have a 4 year old and we watch the siht out of all the Comic cartoons on Netflix. I own most of the straight to DVD movies Hulk VS, Flashpoint Paradox.... etc..... I am constantly googling and reading Wikipedia on all sorts of crazy stuff which lead me to here.....

I have been lurking here without an account for Months if not over a year, and I made one the other day. I commented once and I made an original post and what I have come to realize............................... drum roll............................... Nothing I know about superheroes is relevant in your guys discussions.. You Fcukers know everything.... There is SOoooooooo........ Much!!! WTF is a guy to do? I cant just get caught up on GOD knows how many years of Batman, Super, GL, Iron man, Spidey, and all the other big names. I'm baffled, and I genuinely do not enjoy being out of the loop. Where am I to start as a dood that knows absolutely nothing about "comic books" and lives an hour from a comic book store. I am a much bigger DC guy then Marvel. Please help.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Well for starters.

1. Read some comic books. You're in luck if you like DC, they rebooted their continuity a couple years ago. Any of the New 52 titles are easy to jump into as of issue 0 or 1. You don't need to know anything about the past 70 years to know whats going on.

2. Spend some time on Comicvine wiki. Its basically the best wiki out there for information regarding any comics.

3. If you still have questions...ask. Its rare I see a thread with a comic-related question go answered.

Also if you don't want to drive an hour to buy comics, buy them online. Its really easy an accessible. I'm pretty sure their is apps for phones/ipads and such too if you want to read them with your kid.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Jphu8414

Well for starters.

1. Read some comic books. DC rebooted their continuity a couple years ago. Any of the New 52 titles are easy to jump into as of issue 0 or 1.

2. Spend some time on Comicvine wiki. Its basically the best wiki out there for information regarding any comics.

3. If you still have questions...ask. Its rare I see a thread with a comic-related question go answered.

Also if you don't want to drive an hour to buy comics, buy them online. Its really easy an accessible. I'm pretty sure their is apps for phones/ipads and such too if you want to read them with your kid.

Listen to this man here, he knows his stuff

Marvel NOW! is also similar to New 52 and I myself jumped into many titles at issue #1

genius1265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By genius1265

@fallschirmjager: Thanks for the insight, I will definetly be reading my first comics soon. So pumped right now..

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@genius1265: @fallschirmjager pretty much covered it. The only thing left to say would be welcome to Comic Vine and welcome to comics. :)

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to the Vine, Marvel and DC relaunched so you can pick up a few titles and catch up rather quickly.

The Animated movies are all loosely adapted off the comics btw don't go into a WWH debate with Planet Hulk feats only, you will be misinformed.

Good luck

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeepeh

Well for starters.

1. Read some comic books. You're in luck if you like DC, they rebooted their continuity a couple years ago. Any of the New 52 titles are easy to jump into as of issue 0 or 1. You don't need to know anything about the past 70 years to know whats going on.

This, but also, watch your language, it's not allowed on this site.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suggest, before buying tens or hundreds worth of marvel and dc, to dive into other publishers. The stories have generally more direction and they are the actual one idea from one mind, so they are generally more coherent more consistently.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

• Read comics that you like
  • Read the discussions
  • Check out comicvine wikis without spoiling stories for yourself

read some Valiant

• ^ And this. It is mandatory. No joke.

And you don't need to know everything about comics. I like to think that I know a good amount and I don't read anywhere near as much as other people.