#1 Edited by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing that I truly find annoying after all those years reading comics, is the persistence of some obvious exaggerations.

For example, for decades now we have been reading that FF4 Johnny Storm can use a flame that is at the temperature of a nova. Well well, 20 000 000 degrees Kelvin seems a little bit too much to me, especially considering what it would do to anything standing in the vicinity of the Torch (including the air).

An other example is the annoyingly high number of characters who claim to be omnipotent or omniscient while one of those two options already would put more or less an end to any kind of story.

An other well worn out category is the number of characters suddenly claiming to be the "strongest there is" or "of infinite strength" or even "of strength unpaired in the whole universe", when clearly they are being confronted to characters of their level or higher a few issues later...

It would be nice if the writers could stop resorting to all those hyperboles. First because it would make the stories more interesting and we would have become a little less blasé, and second, it would avoid some pointless arguments on the battle threads where people are trying to use those claims and statements literally.

Here are some examples that I am sure you have been reading before:

-"Skyfather <insert random name> is omnipotent, he could do anything" (while skyfather XXX is always shown to have limits for good reasons: it would kill the story and there are plenty of other skyfather level characters around anyway).

-"Hulk/Thor/Hercules/Superman/Wonder Man/Wonder Woman/Sentry etc... is stronger than anyone else" because it says so in this issue/we saw him lifting a planet/this writer made him carry a universe on his back etc... (well, the truth is that the strength of characters simply vary with the writer's intent and the current trend, superman might be the best example for that).

-"This punch/blow/energy blast/psi blast could crack a planet open...", oh come on, please save the planets. You don't have to let every guy above street leveller destroy a planet once in while just to impress us, we prefer good stories to raw power output.

Those were just out of the top of my mind, but there are dozens of others of course. so it would be nice if the writers could discipline themselves in that field and if the joyous fans that we are could avoid over using those statements in the battle forum, they really don't bring much to the debate most of the time.

Ok, I'm done with today's ranting. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

#2 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL! SO TRUE!!!

Random Asgardian: The All-Father is omnipotent and can do anything! He will save us!

Mortal: So, why is he so afraid of his brother, that he plans on burning the planet earth and killing everyone on it...JUST so that his brother won't be able to feed off the fear of humans and become even more powerful.

Random Asgardian: Well DUH! So he can beat his brother.

Mortal: But he's Omnipotent. He can just 'zap his brother away' with a thought.

Random Asgardian: (blank stare)...Clearly, yon mortal dost not know the definition of Omnipotent.

Mortal: Having unlimited power; Able to do anything...

Random Asgardian: (blank stare) What's your point?

================================================================================================================

Hulk: HULK IS STRONGEST THERE IS!!!

Guy: Didn't you sort of revert to human form and pass out after throwing down with The Sentry?

Hulk: Hulk not talk to puny human.

Sentry: OOH, BURN!!! he got you! The SENTRY has the power of a THOUSAND EXPLODING STARS!!!

Guy: Didn't Thor burn you to a crisp and kill you with a single lightning bolt?

Thor: HAH! The mortal's point is well made. Thor is the strongest there is!

Guy: Yeah, so. Um, god of thunder, how many times have you died in battle?

Galactus: GALACTUS is the world eater! He existed before this current universe, and he will exist after the fire death of this universe!

Guy: Hey, Galactus, didn't you recently become Franklin Richards BITCH?

Galactus: (blank stare) no.

Guy: Yeah, yeah you did! i saw it. You were getting killed by those crazy space god celestial beings... you were practically dead. And then Franklin said, "Arise MY Glactus!" Get that? he said "MY" Galactus. You're totally his bitch!

Glactus: We're partners. Equals.

Guy: Uh-huh.

==============================================================================================

#3 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Skyfather Heimdall can see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch.

#4 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

Skyfather Heimdall can see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch.

Daredevil is blind, but even he can see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch(sorry I just had to)

#5 Posted by BumpyBoo (8135 posts) - - Show Bio

Exaggeration is the worst thing in the whole world :P

#6 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

Oh my god right?! I just want to rip off my left arm and beat people who exaggerate with it.

#7 Posted by BumpyBoo (8135 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@BumpyBoo said:

Oh my god right?! I just want to rip off my left arm and beat people who exaggerate with it.

Exactly. I must have ripped my left arm off eight or nine times now. This is the best comment I have ever seen about exaggeration, and I agree with you completely.

#8 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

LOL! SO TRUE!!!

Random Asgardian: The All-Father is omnipotent and can do anything! He will save us!

Mortal: So, why is he so afraid of his brother, that he plans on burning the planet earth and killing everyone on it...JUST so that his brother won't be able to feed off the fear of humans and become even more powerful.

Random Asgardian: Well DUH! So he can beat his brother.

Mortal: But he's Omnipotent. He can just 'zap his brother away' with a thought.

Random Asgardian: (blank stare)...Clearly, yon mortal dost not know the definition of Omnipotent.

Mortal: Having unlimited power; Able to do anything...

Random Asgardian: (blank stare) What's your point?

================================================================================================================

Hulk: HULK IS STRONGEST THERE IS!!!

Guy: Didn't you sort of revert to human form and pass out after throwing down with The Sentry?

Hulk: Hulk not talk to puny human.

Sentry: OOH, BURN!!! he got you! The SENTRY has the power of a THOUSAND EXPLODING STARS!!!

Guy: Didn't Thor burn you to a crisp and kill you with a single lightning bolt?

Thor: HAH! The mortal's point is well made. Thor is the strongest there is!

Guy: Yeah, so. Um, god of thunder, how many times have you died in battle?

Galactus: GALACTUS is the world eater! He existed before this current universe, and he will exist after the fire death of this universe!

Guy: Hey, Galactus, didn't you recently become Franklin Richards BITCH?

Galactus: (blank stare) no.

Guy: Yeah, yeah you did! i saw it. You were getting killed by those crazy space god celestial beings... you were practically dead. And then Franklin said, "Arise MY Glactus!" Get that? he said "MY" Galactus. You're totally his bitch!

Glactus: We're partners. Equals.

Guy: Uh-huh.

==============================================================================================

Excellent.

#9 Posted by roboadmiral (544 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: Thank you for this. It really really needed saying. And the problem just seems to get worse as it goes along and escalates out of control where characters just get more powerful to sort things out rather than having to solve problems and develop into more complex and interesting characters.

#10 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

@DocFatalis: Thank you for this. It really really needed saying. And the problem just seems to get worse as it goes along and escalates out of control where characters just get more powerful to sort things out rather than having to solve problems and develop into more complex and interesting characters.

Thanks for your comment. I do agree with you entirely: it's easier to give whoever new powers or an amp up rather than coming up with a good story or nice riddles for the caped crew to solve. Sad but true. I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't have comics less often but of better quality story wise.

#11 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: I pretty much agree, it can get ridiculous at times. I just don't like how some characters are judged solely on their feats. Power levels and abilities are rarely consistent, for example if I was writing a book I could just make Batman/Thor, or whoever I like, have crazy awesome power because I wanted to.