HP Lobecraft mythos confuseion

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By z3ro180

Can someone explain the old ones and deep ones ? Because I have no idea what they are and when I look it up I am left with more questions Insted of answers.

ZombieMowlcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WTF is this thread about?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

The Deep Ones aren't gods, they're just this bizarre merman-like race that lives in the ocean and is apparently capable of breeding with humans and creating "fish people" (that's not a Lovecraft term, it's just the easiest way of thinking about them) like the inhabitants of Innsmouth.

The Old Ones, or the Great Old Ones, are the pantheon of gods which ruled the Earth in it's early days, using Shoggoths as their slave race and humans as kind of a form of entertainment (they liked to watch us struggle with basic concepts and fight each other). These are the beings like Cthulhu, Azathoth, etc.

I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it. I'm gonna call on @jwwprod to cover anything that's not right or that I missed, dude knows his Elder Gods.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hecktate: what are shoggoths ? Also are the fish people like mermaids and mermen ?

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By jwwprod

@hecktate: @z3ro180: Well the Deep Ones aren't apart of the Great Old Ones, they are a race of creatures that come from the sea, though there Leader/farther Dagon is one of the Great Old Ones though he is the right hand man of Cthulhu, basically Dagon to Cthulhu is what Silver Surfer is to Galactus if you know what I mean.

But lets get into information about the Great Old Ones and Outer Gods shall we?

The Great Old Ones (as there name apples) are a race of Gods that ruled the universe before man and most of them are imprisoned, they are like the Celestials from Marvel only more powerful (though not by much) though some are more powerful then others like Cthulhu is arguably on Galactus level while others are lower then that.

Now the Outer Gods are like the Great Old Ones only much more powerful as they are multiversal being and some of the most powerful ones in all of fiction.

I will talk about the four Outer Gods (as I know more about them then most of the Great Old Ones)

Azathoth is pretty much the big daddy of the whole Lovecraft verse as he created everything (and by accident) and is pretty much a TOAA level character; though he does have a few downers; he is called The Blind Idiot God and there is a reason for this; despite him being all powerful he isn't omniscient in fact he isn't smart at all and he is absolutely insane and full of rage. Another downer is that he sleeps (the whole omniverse is his dream and if he awakes then the omniverse will be destroyed) though apart from those two falses he is completely omnipotent.

Nyarlathotep is Azathoth's messenger and is the embodiemt of choas, he is also kind of like the best friend of Cthulhu, he is kind of like the Spectre though I think he's Nyar is more powerful, he doesn't have just one forum he's a shape shiftier and has said to have over 1000 forums and he is probably the only god from the Lovecraft verse to show a human forum, and he can be any gender he wants.

Yog-Sothoth oh now were at the fun part :3 he is pretty much the Living Tribunal of the Lovecraft verse and his sometimes stated to be more powerful then Azathoth (Though I consider Azathoth is be more powerful). He is the embodiment of everything (i.e. very universe, dimension, multiverse, etc) as well as the time and space continium, though he isn't just the embodiment, he is them as well, a universe to Yog is what an atom is to use, not only that but he is also vastly omniscient like Living Tribunal (only smarter) and omnipresent and has the ability to create any forum of matter. And all those reasons are why he is called the All-in-One/One-in-All.

Shub-Niggurath..... well it's kind of hard to talk about her because out of the four Outer Gods she's the one I know least about though I will say that she is the embodiment of fertility and she is the most worshiped of all gods in the Lovecraft verse, she is also known as The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young as she is the mother of 1000 baby monsters, even those she hasn't done much she is by default more powerful than the Great Cthulhu himself seeing how Cthulhu is an Great Old One and Shub is an Outer God so of course she would be more powerful and that Shub is Cthulhu's grand mother.

Well I hope I helped :)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod: Dude thanks that helped a lot thanks.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By jwwprod
HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod: hahaha you probably just confused him so much more, so much info in that post. It's such a cool mythology though.

On a slightly unrelated topic, jww, have you ever read Roger Zelazny's "A Night in the Lonesome October?" It's about a game that gets played by famous people from history/fiction every October when the moon will be full on Halloween, the stakes of the game are the opening or closing of a doorway which would allow for the Elder Gods to awaken and return to Earth. The players are Jack the Ripper, Jill the Witch, Rasputen, Dracula, a pair of cultists, a druid, Dr. Frankenstein, Sherlock Holmes (as the Great Detective), and Larry Talbot the Wolfman. Absolutely fantastic read, especially if you like the Lovecraftian Mythos.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By z3ro180

Bump