How would you want to experience a brand new comic universe?

Agiyosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Agiyosi

So, say a very talented group of individuals decided to create their own brand new comic universe of superheroes. What do you believe would be the best medium to put this forth?

Of course, for the sake of argument, let us suppose that budget and publishing platform/infrastructure isn't an issue. Would you prefer it to start out on the printed page as an actual comic? This way, it would stand to reason, you could have a handful of separate, distinct series so you could probably flesh it out and give it more depth than you could in other mediums.

Or would you rather see a fully-supported one-hour series on HBO give rise to a new universe of superheroes?

What about as a film? Or even a video game?

As for me, even though I am a hopeless movie buff, I am mostly intrigued by the possibilities of a well-done, high-budget HBO series. Just got to thinking about a new comic universe that wasn't tethered and restrained by the old traditions and histories of the ones we're all too familiar with. (Though, granted, these same familiarities provide tremendous immediate backstory and richness that do not need to be told through exposition or precious screen time.)

Also, what kind of new universe would you like to see?

dodirty31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By dodirty31

Parody Marvel/DC then kill them all with a bang of their new villains and then clean it up with their Heroes.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see a well grounded universe. A world where consequences are emphasized, and the line between right and wrong are blurred.

Superpowers are fine. Superheroes are fine. But don't feed me bull........like saying the world hates mutants, but loves superheroes. Like theres a difference. Show me a world where people reject superheroes.

Parallel dimensions, and 12 different alien races consistently trying to destroy the earth not necessary.

I want to see something as far away from DC and MARVEL as possible. Something different.

Agiyosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: Agreed wholeheartedly. The world would revere mutants (at least the good ones). And permanent death.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Strong continuity.

Established power levels.

Unique character designs.

Different power sets.

Nobody crushingly overpowered, unless it's for the sake of the plot.

No wankage to one specific character.

No bad art. Try not to make it too stylized.

Keep it only comics/motion comics.

Runnerup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: If you mean no retroactive continuity, no gods, no aliens, no time travel, no clones, no werewolves, no vampires, no zombies, no magic, no demons, no multiverse, no mutants, no Atlanteans, no revolving death door, no Superman homages, no one moving at light speed, no flying without good reason, and no power creep, then, I want that, too.

Avatar image for annoyedimmortalspirit
AnnoyedImmortalSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strong continuity.

Established power levels.

Unique character designs.

Different power sets.

Nobody crushingly overpowered, unless it's for the sake of the plot.

No wankage to one specific character.

No bad art. Try not to make it too stylized.

Keep it only comics/motion comics.

yes, this

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'd start with an anthology comic to show off as many corners of the universe as possible, then branch into ongoings for teams/characters shown. As something moves onto it's own comic, something else can take it's place in the anthology.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'd use a series like Invincible as a kick-starter, making sure to show off as much of the universe as I could while still focusing on the title character. Then, after a while, branch out to more on goings using the characters established in the first series. Then expand the universe more with those character's supporting characters, rogues gallery, etc. The whole time keeping solid focus on continuity, making sure the characters age.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wildstorm did a good job in the 90's in terms of quality, a lot of cliches done in unique ways.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see it start off like a video game personally. I get hyped for superhero games. A cool idea would be like a create your own hero/villain game, and the company chose the best ones and actually made back stories and comic for them.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By legacy6364
Agiyosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@runnerup: I could take a few of those things in very moderate, limited doses, but I'm with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would just want comic books, since ya know, its a comic book