how to properly hold a comic book

undead7123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By undead7123

Hey guys im new to reading comics(regular comics) and I dont know hoe to properly hold it because when I do I somehow damage the spine of the comics, and I dont fold it.please describe how to hold ot properly. Thanks in advance

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Decoy Elite

You buy a fooloozal duh.

Fooloozals are the best devise for your comic reading needs.

TheBane2890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TheBane2890

I absolutely hate when people fold their comics over! I've seen a few people do that to some of my comics, and it never ended well for that offender (usually my fist in their face). As too your question; I tend to open my comics just enough to see the full page, but not enough that the spine is perfectly flat. By doing this I tend to find that my comics last a lot longer. They rarely crease, and hold strong for years, and years, and use after use. I also tend to hold my comics in one hand. I leave the spine of the comic down the center of my hand, but don't let my fingertips or thumb touch the front or back of the covers. When handling the pages, I use just my index finger and thumb to lightly grasp the top right corner (only about one to two centimeters, so as not to smudge the ink in the pictures or the text) and gently push the page over. I release the page once it is about 60% of the way over, and let it lightly fall onto the previous pages. I know this sounds extremely insane, but it preserves the comics for years. So, in conclusion touching the comic as little as possible, is the best way to handle one!

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Decoy Elite

I just read mine like I read books.

ImmortalT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ImmortalT1000

I usually wear rubber gloves when I hold and read my comics. So finger prints and dirt wont get on it. So even if you dont wanna wear gloves, make sure your hands are clean.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Catsnlynne

Don't eat or drink anything when you read.

DaAwesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaAwesome2

@TheBane2890:

Folding my books makes me mad almost to the point of violence. I'm with you on that one, breh.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By owie  Moderator
@ImmortalT1000 said:

I usually wear rubber gloves when I hold and read my comics. So finger prints and dirt wont get on it. So even if you dont wanna wear gloves, make sure your hands are clean.

I don't go that far, but I can understand it.  I hate when my fingers make fingerprints in heavily-inked areas of a cover while I'm reading it.
ImmortalT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImmortalT1000

@Owie said:

@ImmortalT1000 said:

I don't go that far, but I can understand it. I hate when my fingers make fingerprints in heavily-inked areas of a cover while I'm reading it.

Well I guess it depends on how much you care for it.

If you dont wanna wear gloves, then buy two copies of it. Read one anyway you want and leave the other factory sealed.

As long as the comics not to expensive and you can afford two of em.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Aiden Cross

You guys take it seriously :O

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@Aiden Cross said:

I take my book handling seriously. If you fold a page in one of my books you better run.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KnightRise

@joeagentofhand1 said:

@Aiden Cross said:

I take my book handling seriously. If you fold a page in one of my books you better run.

this

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By joshmightbe

I personally lay mine upon a golden pedestal and turn the pages with Ivory tweezers while Gregorian chants play in the background, but you know to each their own.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By roboadmiral

Do not touch the comic. Do not even look at it. The issue should never leave the bag and board. You may, on a full moon, run your hand an inch above the surface of the bag.

All joking aside, it's your book, do whatever the hell you want with it.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By reignmaker

I buy mine digitally. So I hold it anyway I please. Won't be getting rich off my digital collection, but everything has a price I guess.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bruxae

I rip the pages off one by one and read it loudly then eat the page once im done.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By minigunman123

@roboadmiral said:

Do not touch the comic. Do not even look at it. The issue should never leave the bag and board. You may, on a full moon, run your hand an inch above the surface of the bag.

All joking aside, it's your book, do whatever the hell you want with it.

@joshmightbe said:

I personally lay mine upon a golden pedestal and turn the pages with Ivory tweezers while Gregorian chants play in the background, but you know to each their own.

This thread is full of lulz.

Personally, I just open it, make sure not to pinch it tightly, and make sure not to put much pressure on any one point, since they're stupidly fragile nowadays...

Other than that, SMUDGE SMUDGE SMUDGE. I just read them like books.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Bruxae said:

I rip the pages off one by one and read it loudly then eat the page once im done.

Of all the sarcastic responses in this thread, this is my favorite.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By RedQueen

Don't fold it over and don't flatten it out. Also don't eat/drink whilst reading.... I'm pretty sure that's it. I normally just cradle it in one hand and turn the pages. Be delicate :p

Greenfort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Greenfort

I read digital comics or buy HC copies. the ones I buy for my collection is not read :-) I know it might sound a bit extreme, but I like it this way :-)

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Loki9876

lol this thread

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 2chimcha3

No folding the book. Hands need to be clean. No nose picking or eating with the book. If you put the book on a surface make sure its relatively clean. You don't need to be a freak about it but just treat it properly.

Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What I usually do is; Wash my hands and cradle it in one hand as I read.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@TheBane2890 said:

I absolutely hate when people fold their comics over! I've seen a few people do that to some of my comics, and it never ended well for that offender (usually my fist in their face). As too your question; I tend to open my comics just enough to see the full page, but not enough that the spine is perfectly flat. By doing this I tend to find that my comics last a lot longer. They rarely crease, and hold strong for years, and years, and use after use. I also tend to hold my comics in one hand. I leave the spine of the comic down the center of my hand, but don't let my fingertips or thumb touch the front or back of the covers. When handling the pages, I use just my index finger and thumb to lightly grasp the top right corner (only about one to two centimeters, so as not to smudge the ink in the pictures or the text) and gently push the page over. I release the page once it is about 60% of the way over, and let it lightly fall onto the previous pages. I know this sounds extremely insane, but it preserves the comics for years. So, in conclusion touching the comic as little as possible, is the best way to handle one!

My God. Are you guys serious? Isn't that a bit too much? I mean, it's just a comic book..

Avatar image for markus_langbourn
Markus_Langbourn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Markus_Langbourn

If you're about to read a Bendis comic, the best idea is to fill a glass with bleach and then drink it quickly.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

I read mine while I eat French fries because I don't care.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@undead7123: Read it however you like. If your ultimate goal is to read and enjoy it, just read it and store it. Realize that the vast majority of comics you buy today will never be worth anything once you've purchased them other than the enjoyment you take from reading them.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Cap10nate

@Crash_Recovery said:

@undead7123: Read it however you like. If your ultimate goal is to read and enjoy it, just read it and store it. Realize that the vast majority of comics you buy today will never be worth anything once you've purchased them other than the enjoyment you take from reading them.

This.

The fact that everybody reads their books once and then bags/boards them basically ensures that they will never increase in value. Without scarcity, there is no monetary collectibility.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Yup. Even though the amount being published now may be less than other points in history, we hang onto stuff because we believe it's valuable.

Those old comics are only worth something because they were treated as a disposable commodity.