#1 Posted by undead7123 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys im new to reading comics(regular comics) and I dont know hoe to properly hold it because when I do I somehow damage the spine of the comics, and I dont fold it.please describe how to hold ot properly. Thanks in advance

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

You buy a fooloozal duh.

Fooloozals are the best devise for your comic reading needs.

#3 Posted by TheBane2890 (1958 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely hate when people fold their comics over! I've seen a few people do that to some of my comics, and it never ended well for that offender (usually my fist in their face). As too your question; I tend to open my comics just enough to see the full page, but not enough that the spine is perfectly flat. By doing this I tend to find that my comics last a lot longer. They rarely crease, and hold strong for years, and years, and use after use. I also tend to hold my comics in one hand. I leave the spine of the comic down the center of my hand, but don't let my fingertips or thumb touch the front or back of the covers. When handling the pages, I use just my index finger and thumb to lightly grasp the top right corner (only about one to two centimeters, so as not to smudge the ink in the pictures or the text) and gently push the page over. I release the page once it is about 60% of the way over, and let it lightly fall onto the previous pages. I know this sounds extremely insane, but it preserves the comics for years. So, in conclusion touching the comic as little as possible, is the best way to handle one!

#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read mine like I read books.

#5 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually wear rubber gloves when I hold and read my comics. So finger prints and dirt wont get on it. So even if you dont wanna wear gloves, make sure your hands are clean.

#6 Posted by Catsnlynne (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't eat or drink anything when you read.

#7 Posted by DaAwesome2 (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheBane2890:

Folding my books makes me mad almost to the point of violence. I'm with you on that one, breh.

#8 Posted by Owie (3627 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImmortalT1000 said:

I usually wear rubber gloves when I hold and read my comics. So finger prints and dirt wont get on it. So even if you dont wanna wear gloves, make sure your hands are clean.

I don't go that far, but I can understand it.  I hate when my fingers make fingerprints in heavily-inked areas of a cover while I'm reading it.
#9 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:

@ImmortalT1000 said:

I don't go that far, but I can understand it. I hate when my fingers make fingerprints in heavily-inked areas of a cover while I'm reading it.

Well I guess it depends on how much you care for it.

If you dont wanna wear gloves, then buy two copies of it. Read one anyway you want and leave the other factory sealed.

As long as the comics not to expensive and you can afford two of em.

#10 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys take it seriously :O

#11 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

I take my book handling seriously. If you fold a page in one of my books you better run.

#12 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@joeagentofhand1 said:

@Aiden Cross said:

I take my book handling seriously. If you fold a page in one of my books you better run.

this

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally lay mine upon a golden pedestal and turn the pages with Ivory tweezers while Gregorian chants play in the background, but you know to each their own.

#14 Posted by roboadmiral (538 posts) - - Show Bio

Do not touch the comic. Do not even look at it. The issue should never leave the bag and board. You may, on a full moon, run your hand an inch above the surface of the bag.

All joking aside, it's your book, do whatever the hell you want with it.

#15 Posted by Reignmaker (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

I buy mine digitally. So I hold it anyway I please. Won't be getting rich off my digital collection, but everything has a price I guess.

#16 Posted by Bruxae (12666 posts) - - Show Bio

I rip the pages off one by one and read it loudly then eat the page once im done.

#17 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

Do not touch the comic. Do not even look at it. The issue should never leave the bag and board. You may, on a full moon, run your hand an inch above the surface of the bag.

All joking aside, it's your book, do whatever the hell you want with it.

@joshmightbe said:

I personally lay mine upon a golden pedestal and turn the pages with Ivory tweezers while Gregorian chants play in the background, but you know to each their own.

This thread is full of lulz.

Personally, I just open it, make sure not to pinch it tightly, and make sure not to put much pressure on any one point, since they're stupidly fragile nowadays...

Other than that, SMUDGE SMUDGE SMUDGE. I just read them like books.

#18 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bruxae said:

I rip the pages off one by one and read it loudly then eat the page once im done.

Of all the sarcastic responses in this thread, this is my favorite.

#19 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't fold it over and don't flatten it out. Also don't eat/drink whilst reading.... I'm pretty sure that's it. I normally just cradle it in one hand and turn the pages. Be delicate :p

#20 Posted by Greenfort (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I read digital comics or buy HC copies. the ones I buy for my collection is not read :-) I know it might sound a bit extreme, but I like it this way :-)

#21 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

lol this thread

#22 Posted by sagejonathan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

No folding the book. Hands need to be clean. No nose picking or eating with the book. If you put the book on a surface make sure its relatively clean. You don't need to be a freak about it but just treat it properly.

#23 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

What I usually do is; Wash my hands and cradle it in one hand as I read.

#24 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16131 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheBane2890 said:

I absolutely hate when people fold their comics over! I've seen a few people do that to some of my comics, and it never ended well for that offender (usually my fist in their face). As too your question; I tend to open my comics just enough to see the full page, but not enough that the spine is perfectly flat. By doing this I tend to find that my comics last a lot longer. They rarely crease, and hold strong for years, and years, and use after use. I also tend to hold my comics in one hand. I leave the spine of the comic down the center of my hand, but don't let my fingertips or thumb touch the front or back of the covers. When handling the pages, I use just my index finger and thumb to lightly grasp the top right corner (only about one to two centimeters, so as not to smudge the ink in the pictures or the text) and gently push the page over. I release the page once it is about 60% of the way over, and let it lightly fall onto the previous pages. I know this sounds extremely insane, but it preserves the comics for years. So, in conclusion touching the comic as little as possible, is the best way to handle one!

My God. Are you guys serious? Isn't that a bit too much? I mean, it's just a comic book..

#25 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're about to read a Bendis comic, the best idea is to fill a glass with bleach and then drink it quickly.

#26 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5188 posts) - - Show Bio

I read mine while I eat French fries because I don't care.

#27 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@undead7123: Read it however you like. If your ultimate goal is to read and enjoy it, just read it and store it. Realize that the vast majority of comics you buy today will never be worth anything once you've purchased them other than the enjoyment you take from reading them.

#28 Posted by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

@undead7123: Read it however you like. If your ultimate goal is to read and enjoy it, just read it and store it. Realize that the vast majority of comics you buy today will never be worth anything once you've purchased them other than the enjoyment you take from reading them.

This.

The fact that everybody reads their books once and then bags/boards them basically ensures that they will never increase in value. Without scarcity, there is no monetary collectibility.

#29 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup. Even though the amount being published now may be less than other points in history, we hang onto stuff because we believe it's valuable.

Those old comics are only worth something because they were treated as a disposable commodity.