• 57 results
#1 Posted by Om4zd (924 posts) - - Show Bio

Many people pronounce Ra's Al Ghul's name as Raas from watching the Nolan movies. This is in fact wrong. The other day I found a comment on youtube for a video about the upcoming The Dark Knight Rises, starring Liam Neeson, who returns as Ra's Al Ghul, within which the commenter stated that he spoke the language which the name came from, and that Ra's is pronounced Raas. I'm not sure what language he was referring to but if I'm not mistaken, Ra's Al Ghul's name was from Ancient Egyptian tongue. More specifically the God Ra's. Ra's meaning Ray or See. In that tongue, Ra's is pronounced Raish.

#2 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11267 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still going to pronounce it, 'Raas'.

#3 Posted by Om4zd (924 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: Okay... :(

#4 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11267 posts) - - Show Bio

The way I say it. Raas sound much better. Like a small roar. Raaaaaaaas al Ghul!

They pronounce it differently in different mediums.

#5 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Something Like "Raj" "all" "GHul"..... The G isn't silent, and the S at the end of Ra's is pronounced with J

#6 Posted by Joygirl (20064 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Rahz. Last I checked his name means "the demon's head" which has nothing to do with the egyption sun god, it's supposed to be arabic. And saying Raish makes me feel sad. :(

#7 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, in the Arkham City game they pronounce it as Raish all ghul, it's how i say it as well.

#8 Edited by Om4zd (924 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: cckerberos and Bibliovore, the vowel /a/ in ra’s is short. It doesn't get a macron. (The /u/ in ghûl is long, however, and properly gets a macron.)

The glottal stop (hamzah) represented by the right-handed apostrophe ’ is a consonantal sound. The left-handed apostrophe ‘To pronounce "ra’s", you have to get used to making the glottal stop with no vowel sound after it, followed by a vowelless /s/.

Originally, like all Arabic nouns, the word ended in a short final vowel, so you wouldn't need to negotiate a cluster of two consonants ending the word. Two syllables easier to pronounce: Ra’-su. When followed by the definite article al-, the /a/ in al- is elided and the final short vowel from the end of the previous word plugs into the /l/. So the Classical Arabic pronunciation runs the two words together and they sound like one: ra’-sul-ghûl.

When we transliterate the definite article, the standard way is to write the al- in all positions, so that it reflects the Arabic orthography better than it does the pronunciation. This is why sometimes you see the name ‘Abd Allah or ‘Abdallah, and sometimes ‘Abdullah. The final short vowel of a noun changes for different case endings when the word is grammatically inflected. Apart from an Arabic grammatical context, therefore, a word is cited in the nominative case, like Latin or Greek words. The Arabic nominative ends in -u, the accusative ends in -a, and the genitive ends in -i. Three vowels, three cases.

The word ghûl starts with the sound of the letter ghayn,

#9 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
Many people pronounce Ra's Al Ghul's name as Raas from watching the Nolan movies. This is in fact wrong.
Ra's is pronounced Raas.

#10 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by JediXMan (31029 posts) - - Show Bio

I pronounce it - and always have - the way they did in Batman Begins.

#12 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:

Same.
#13 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

Well, in the Arkham City game they pronounce it as Raish all ghul, it's how i say it as well.

@hectorsquall said:

ALL OF THIS. In Batman recent games they pronounce Raish al gul

#14 Posted by Mekboy (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

Tommy

#15 Posted by _Zombie_ (10461 posts) - - Show Bio

Used to say it Raas because of the movie, but I've long since switched over to Raish.

#16 Posted by The_Tree (7773 posts) - - Show Bio

I say it like Raysh.

#17 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

I say it like Raas.

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

#19 Posted by War Killer (20359 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jorgevy said:

@Aiden Cross said:

@hectorsquall said:

ALL OF THIS. In Batman recent games they pronounce Raish al gul

This.
#20 Posted by JediXMan (31029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467 said:

@JediXMan said:

Same.

I never really liked the way they said his name in Arkham City or the aforementioned DCAU / Batman TAS / Batman Beyond. Raz just sounds add.

#21 Posted by barryallen (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Always used to call him Rars but since i've been playing an awful lot of arkham city i've started calling him raish, its just habit now

#22 Posted by Spectre108 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think Raas sounds better.

#23 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

I pronounce it "Raesh" That's the way they pronounce it in most Batman media. I used to pronounce it "Rays" but "Raesh" feels more comfortable to me.

#24 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

#25 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall said:

Eyup I learned my lesson with Talia and now I pronounce it that way: Reish, take me a while quit the habit of say Raas

#26 Posted by jameshebrew (763 posts) - - Show Bio

@Om4zd: ya your right man its raish...on dcu online and in arkahm city both say raish

#27 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467 said:

@JediXMan said:

Same.

According to some Arab fellow on DC boards this(Nolan) is correct because it means head of the demon,the BTAS and AC version ends up being translated as "feather of the demon" LMAO.

#28 Posted by JediXMan (31029 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@Silver2467 said:

@JediXMan said:

Same.

According to some Arab fellow on DC boards this(Nolan) is correct because it means head of the demon,the BTAS and AC version ends up being translated as "feather of the demon" LMAO.

Makes sense, meaning Nolan's version is correct, since Ra's is called the "Demon's Head" quite often.
#29 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Silver2467 said:

@JediXMan said:

Same.

Makes sense, meaning Nolan's version is correct, since Ra's is called the "Demon's Head" quite often.

Yup.

#30 Posted by handsome_stud (272 posts) - - Show Bio

liam neeson is returning? thought he died

#31 Posted by supesisstilcool (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Dennis O'Neil is still alive isn't he? Why isn't there a definite answer for this? Also I don't hate "feather of the demon" he's an immortal ninja.

#32 Posted by simonchan (101 posts) - - Show Bio

its pronounced reish

They probably intentionally misprounounced it in the movies to avoid the whole terrorism bit and that Raas al ghoul wasn't middle eastern in the movies.

#33 Posted by MonsterStomp (19503 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm confused between Batman Begin's "Raars" or Arkham City "Raish".

#34 Edited by Wolverine08 (44063 posts) - - Show Bio

The correct pronunciation is "Raish".

#35 Edited by mikex20 (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Raish.

#36 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8282 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw a thread about this awhile back. Since then I've tried to pronounce it "Raish", but I still sometimes catch myself pronouncing it "Raas".

#37 Posted by Bigbadwolfx0 (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@simonchan: you posted what I was going to that is also my favorite episode of batman beyond but its defently raesh

#38 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6362 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, Raas sounds better.

#39 Posted by HumanRocket (8718 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman beyond taught me its supposed to be reish.

#40 Posted by MonsterStomp (19503 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp said:

The correct pronunciation is "Raish".

I switch between :)

#41 Edited by patrat18 (10359 posts) - - Show Bio

Rasjhdgz Gausbdsns.

#42 Posted by Ryagan (1291 posts) - - Show Bio

I always say "Raas" because of Batman Begins, but it seems every other medium pronounces it "Raish." Now, apparently, Ra's al Ghul is Arabic for "the demon head." If you type "head" into Google Translate and translate it to Arabic, it says "Ra-eez." Also, several people on YouTube who speak Arabic say that it's pronounced "Raas." Therefore, I will still pronounce it "Raas."

#43 Posted by CaptnMcDeadpool (969 posts) - - Show Bio

Rozz

All

Gool

#44 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18460 posts) - - Show Bio

Roll your tongue

Rrrraas.

#45 Edited by JetiiMitra (8730 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still confused. Riz or Rose

#46 Posted by RustyRoy (13350 posts) - - Show Bio

Raas or Reish

#47 Edited by Rouflex (19274 posts) - - Show Bio

Well actually i dont care :).Does it realy matter after all?

#48 Posted by BlackWind (6848 posts) - - Show Bio

The correct pronunciation is "Rozz all Ghoul." However, I simply choose to say "Raysh all Ghoul" because it sounds more majestic.

#49 Posted by PotatoOfDoom (491 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Deathstroke52 (907 posts) - - Show Bio

I switch off :D