How to Judge Fighting Skill

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been noticing this problem quite a lot on the battle forums. Lets say in a movie or a live action television show, character X is said to have years of combat and martial arts experience. However their fighting skills aren't ever shown to be impressive.

Now the argument I usually here to defend this is blaming the budget and fight choreography.

Now, what happens when character Y from another show is pitted against character X, except character Y has flowing style and quick and effective martial arts talent that's pretty blatantly superior to character X's portrayal, even with less experience?

Should character X be allowed to skate with mediocre feats even though the story says they are better than what you see? Or should character Y win because of feats that are clearly seen?

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

I think feats are more important than statements of training and experience.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: So do I. A character shouldn't get flak just because the story made claims the actor or choreography couldn't back up.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: So do I. A character shouldn't get flak just because the story made claims the actor or choreography couldn't back up.

I agree but if they're placed against a character with better feats I think they should still lose. I don't like giving leeway to things that are stated and not shown though.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@blackwind said:

I agree but if they're placed against a character with better feats I think they should still lose. I don't like giving leeway to things that are stated and not shown though.

How do you feel about feats that have pore special effects? Like Data from STNG.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DecoyElite

@jwalser3 said:

@decoyelite said:

@blackwind said:

How do you feel about feats that have pore special effects? Like Data from STNG.

They should still count as long as they're not PIS or WIS. Just because it looks bad doesn't mean it didn't happen.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feats are more important though I understand what you're saying.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Feats. Don't judge a characters fighting skills based on your preconceived stereotypes about them. Just feats.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, you shouldn't judge someone's fighting skills based on how they look. Extremely skilled fighters can have an ugly looking fighting style.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: And if said ugly style is sloppy and they tend to get matched by everyday mooks that their hype says they should stomp? Feats should take higher priority over character statements.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind:

No, but if their ugly style lets them beat the best in their universe, then they're skilled.