How should Batman be handled on film after Nolan?

• 55 results
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

Love him or hate him, you can't deny that Christopher Nolan made an impact on not only Batman, but on superhero films in general with Batman Begins, and especially The Dark Knight. Before him, it was Shumaker who was giving us his "interpretation" of the Caped Crusader, and even before him, it was Tim Burton who gave the character his first time to really shine on the big screen with Batman (1989). Even still, if you'd like to count his other appearances such as Adam West's famous portrayal to the fantastic Bruce Timm series, go right ahead. Batman is without a doubt the most famous comic book character today in terms of media outside of comic books because all of these film/TV franchises have either all been successes, or they were so wrong that they are still are talked about today (i.e. Shumaker's Batman and Robin)

Now that the Nolan era is officially coming to an end with The Dark Knight Rises, it is a no-brainer that WB is going to yet again toss out another franchise for the Bat. In my opinion, the more the merrier. I'll continue to watch any comic book movie if it's interesting enough to watch, but that's just me. I know there are people who thank God every day that Nolan's going to finish, and to those people I say, good for you! You stuck through it, and your complaining can be put to rest! (although, we both know that it won't).

But I digress.

So my question is: What's next for Batman? There are decades-full of stories that have yet been told through film, and there are still dozens of characters that either haven't been done justice on film, or downright haven't been done at all. What would you personally like to see and how would you like to see it be handled?

Personally, I feel that Batman's so popular that he doesn't need another trilogy. In fact, I think they should open up a new franchise entirely, and go with a James Bond approach with it. The movies could connect, but they don't have to. Different actors and different directors could get a shot of handling Batman and his universe. Also, this would give the villains that never got a decent shot (Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Riddler, Clayface, etc.) to get that screen time they deserve, as well as the supporting cast that we haven't seen in years or not at all (Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Barbra Gordon, etc.) Agree with me or not, that's just my idea.

So, what do you guys want?!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

They should just skip the origin - or not even bother with a Batman movie and just jump into JLA

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

I want an over the top, super cheezy Golden Age Batman movie.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@Gambit1024 said:
THIS.
No Caption Provided
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

@War Killer: O_O Dat poster....

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BatteredArmor

@NlGHTCRAWLER almost has it right we do need something bigger and crazier, something more cartoony and unbelievable, more inhuman threats that would allow us to believe that Bats can be useful to the Justice League, maybe a Robin in their to hype the fact that it is indeed a fantasy movie, not golden age crazy but fantasy all the same. @JediXMan is also right we need to skip the origin

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

Something closer to how he is in the comics, the Nolan movies ignore all the crazy  physical aspects and gadgetry of Batman. Heck, Nolans Batman is more like a guerilla, urban vigilante then he is like Batman from the comics

Basically Batman TAS come to life would be my ideal Batman, that is probably because I grew up with the cartoon though

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@War Killer:

Batman Beyond with Clint Eastwood as old Bruce Wayne.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@War Killer said:

@Gambit1024 said:
THIS.
No Caption Provided

@JediXMan said:

@War Killer:

These!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@JediXMan said:

@War Killer:

Agreed.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

I want a New trilogy that takes Dick Grayson from Robin to Nightwing. You can have the first show his origin, the do a time skip and show him as an older fully trained Robin. The second should have him on the verge of adult hood and developing personal issues with Batman and have him quit at the end. Then in the Third he is beginning his career as Nightwing and have Batman acquire a new Robin (Jason Todd). Then you do a second trilogy one movie will have flashbacks showing Jason's origin throughout and end it with Jason's death. Next movie introduce Tim Drake who becomes the new Robin after Jason. The last movie should be a live action version of Under a Red Hood.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gambit1024

@BlackArmor said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER almost has it right we do need something bigger and crazier, something more cartoony and unbelievable, more inhuman threats that would allow us to believe that Bats can be useful to the Justice League, maybe a Robin in their to hype the fact that it is indeed a fantasy movie, not golden age crazy but fantasy all the same. @JediXMan is also right we need to skip the origin

Agreed on all points. Batman is a comic book character that comes from the same universe filled with Atlantians, Amazons, Krpytonians, Martians, Thanagarians, clones, etc. Why can't Batman do/fight something fantastic? I'm not saying a full-on alien invasion is needed, but I want to see Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc and Poison Ivy in all their fantastical glory. And yeah, the origin isn't needed at this point. We all know who Batman is by now.

@JediXMan: Fckin smart.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Gambit1024 said:

Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc and Poison Ivy in all their fantastical glory.

Throw in a Ra's that actually comes back to life and those are exactly the villains I had in mind for a rebooted movie series

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc and Poison Ivy in all their fantastical glory.

Throw in a Ra's that actually comes back to life and those are exactly the villains I had in mind for a rebooted movie series

And Riddler. I want the Jigsaw-like Riddler we got in Arkham City. Not the watered-down Joker or Jim Carey (even if I love him)

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Kal'smahboi

They should just focus on establishing the other heroes and work towards a JLA movie. At that point, get a new actor and just pretend like Nolan's movies didn't happen, since they're so grounded in realism, but keep the main themes. Don't make him super strong, don't give him any ridiculous technology or mechanical suits or anything. Make him smart and extremely determined.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Gambit1024 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

And Riddler. I want the Jigsaw-like Riddler we got in Arkham City. Not the watered-down Joker or Jim Carey (even if I love him)

Yeah that would be cool, Riddler is awesome when done well, I would say Man-Bat should be there too I was thinking maybe a 4 movie series

Movie 1: Clayface and Riddler with Riddler as the mastermind of some city sweeping plan that ends with Riddler in jail and Clayface missing

Movie 2: Man-bat and a rebooted Killer Crock with Clayface related chemicals playing a role in both of their transformations

Movie 3: A war between Poison Ivy and Mister Freeze

Movie 4: Ra's is revealed to have been pulling the strings all along and with an army of ninja Man-Bats and Killer Crocks and the Riddler as a General and strategist he wages war on Batman using the chaos Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze created in the last movie to help seize Gotham. Clayface would return as an agent of Ra's that he used to make war between Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze in the third movie.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Yeah that would be cool, Riddler is awesome when done well, I would say Man-Bat should be there too I was thinking maybe a 4 movie series

Movie 1: Clayface and Riddler with Riddler as the mastermind of some city sweeping plan that ends with Riddler in jail and Clayface missing

Movie 2: Man-bat and a rebooted Killer Crock with Clayface related chemicals playing a role in both of their transformations

Movie 3: A war between Poison Ivy and Mister Freeze

Movie 4: Ra's is revealed to have been pulling the strings all along and with an army of ninja Man-Bats and Killer Crocks and the Riddler as a General and strategist he wages war on Batman using the chaos Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze created in the last movie to help seize Gotham. Clayface would return as an agent of Ra's that he used to make war between Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze in the third movie.

O_O

I'm convinced that this idea, if put onto film, would be the cure for AIDS.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Gambit1024: Thanks, I kinda just thought of it now lol. It just felt like a movie that would provide for a Justice League ready Batman

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Funrush

@joshmightbe said:

I want a New trilogy that takes Dick Grayson from Robin to Nightwing. You can have the first show his origin, the do a time skip and show him as an older fully trained Robin. The second should have him on the verge of adult hood and developing personal issues with Batman and have him quit at the end. Then in the Third he is beginning his career as Nightwing and have Batman acquire a new Robin (Jason Todd). Then you do a second trilogy one movie will have flashbacks showing Jason's origin throughout and end it with Jason's death. Next movie introduce Tim Drake who becomes the new Robin after Jason. The last movie should be a live action version of Under a Red Hood.

So,

• Robin
  • Robin 2
  • Nightwing

Then,

• Robin 3
  • Robin 4
  • Robin 5: Death in the Family

Lastly,

• Robin 6
  • Robin 7
  • Red Hood

That's a lot of Robin movies!

Also, I think it'd be cool if we got a movie with Black Mask as the villain.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

@Funrush: I only mentioned 6 and they'd all be Batman movies just have A Robin sub plot behind it only the Nightwing and Red Hood movies would directly focus on Robin

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hunter5024

I hope they don't try to blend all their series together into a Justice League movie. We already get that with the avengers, and having it separate allows all the characters distinct tones to be more fully realized.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Funrush

@joshmightbe: Oh, I didn't read too carefully. I thought you meant each Robin got his own trilogy. Reading over it more carefully, your idea sounds better. Maybe Batman and Son, Batman R.I.P. and Battle for the Cowl could be a movie trilogy, too.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blackadamFTW

They need to correctly portray Mr. Freeze in film in the not too distant future. People who don't read the comics think of him as Arnold Schwarzenegger making bad ice puns. A movie with him should show that he's willing to do anything to save his wife (maybe even sacrificing himself *wink* *wink*). I think Ed Harris would make a good Mr. Freeze, but that could just be me.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By joshmightbe

@Funrush: Could be cool and having the 6 movies before would help those out because the characters vying to be the new Batman in Battle would already be established by then

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By csl316

Ditch the hyper realism and bring it more into the fantastical realm. Screw practical tank cars, I want a true Batmobile with bat wings.

Batman's been able to convey deep, affecting stories in the comics and even the animated show without having to resort to the gritty nature of the Nolan films. Recently I talked up how good Mask of the Phantasm is, and that does great things with a Batman that has a bright yellow emblem on his chest, as well as a bright purple Joker.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ssejllenrad

They should do it in Metropolis, not Gotham. Then give him super powers. And of course an origin for he super powers. Make him Alien. Then less dark would be nice. Origin for the less dark image has to be given as well. Make him a farmboy. And no more cowls. And change the logo. An "S" would be great.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheWitchingHour

Actually Batman Beyond as a live action movie could be amazing. If they followed the TV show then they wouldn't need to worry too much about D.C's cannon or retelling the origin story. The show was kind of a blank slate and another Batman movie could use that. Also Terry as Batman would be a wonderfully fresh take while still including Bruce's character and mythos into the story. Also future Gotham would be great to see on the big screen.

Batman Beyond all the way!!!!!

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@csl316 said:

Ditch the hyper realism and bring it more into the fantastical realm. Screw practical tank cars, I want a true Batmobile with bat wings.

Batman's been able to convey deep, affecting stories in the comics and even the animated show without having to resort to the gritty nature of the Nolan films. Recently I talked up how good Mask of the Phantasm is, and that does great things with a Batman that has a bright yellow emblem on his chest, as well as a bright purple Joker.

I agree, grim and gritty was great for these films but another addition to the franchise could use something different. Batman Beyond could definitely be fantastical and operatic while conveying the intensity that Batman needs. Also I think audiences would be more receptive to something in the future. Suspension of disbelief is easier when you don't recognize your surroundings.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By the_tree

I want to see the next movies with actual super villains, and I'd love to see a serious portrayal of Dick Grayson as Robin.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@TheWitchingHour said:

Actually Batman Beyond as a live action movie could be amazing. If they followed the TV show then they wouldn't need to worry too much about D.C's cannon or retelling the origin story. The show was kind of a blank slate and another Batman movie could use that. Also Terry as Batman would be a wonderfully fresh take while still including Bruce's character and mythos into the story. Also future Gotham would be great to see on the big screen.

Batman Beyond all the way!!!!!

Exactly. It has everything you need for a good movie.
Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Just bring in Darren Aronofsky and let him do whatever the hell he wants. I'm sure it'll be great.

Avatar image for the_mayhem_theory
The_Mayhem_Theory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No more Batman, bad enough we've had 6 in the past 23 years. =\
sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By sinestro_GL

If we had to do another Batman film - as I would prefer to have films on other DC characters first...

- Batman should be portrayed as a detective - still hasn't really been done (except for Mask of the Phantasm)

- Needs a supporting cast other than just Alfred

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By HolySerpent

To be honest I cannot see a JLA...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gambit1024

@HolySerpent said:

To be honest I cannot see a JLA...

I can, but without a Joss Whedon to write/direct it, it'd be useless.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Afro_Warrior

As people have already said a Batman Beyond film would be fantastic, especially if the went with JediXMan's Clint Eastwood as old Bruce idea.

Either that or a Worlds Finest film. I'd kind of prefer this option because if the film was done right, it'd most likely lead to an expanding of the DC Cinematic Universe, and hopefully lead into films for DC's other biggest stars. Namely Flash, Wonder Woman and a second or rebooted Green Lantern.

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NewKid

never thought of it before but totally agree on the batman beyond idea :D

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gambit1024

@Afro_Warrior: Ooh, a World's Finest movie would be an awesome idea. Unfortunately with Man of Steel, I don't think we'll be getting it anytime soon, though. :/

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By InnerVenom123

@War Killer said:

@JediXMan said:

@War Killer:

Agreed.

If only Eastwood was still acting.

It'd be perfect.

=/

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By HolySerpent

Martian the manhunter and aquaman will never make it on the big screen

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@Gambit1024:

That's definitely possible, but i was thinking that with the end of current trilogy, if Man of Steel did well, i could easily see Warner Brother's delaying a second Superman film (Assuming Man of Steel does well enough to get a second obviously) in favour of a World's Finest film that would be almost guaranteed to make more money.

Maybe i'm being a bit to optimistic.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gambit1024

@Afro_Warrior said:

@Gambit1024:

That's definitely possible, but i was thinking that with the end of current trilogy, if Man of Steel did well, i could easily see Warner Brother's delaying a second Superman film (Assuming Man of Steel does well enough to get a second obviously) in favour of a World's Finest film that would be almost guaranteed to make more money.

Maybe i'm being a bit to optimistic.

Yeah... If WB really wanted a DC Cinematic Universe they'd have done it with Green Lantern. In the original script, both Clark Kent and Amanda Waller had cameos, and they trashed it for God knows why.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#43  Edited By TheCannon

To me, they have three options.

1) (Another) Reboot

2) Justice League

3) Batman Beyond

I cast my vote for three. We have seen Batman on the big screen several times now, good and bad. Now, it's time for something different. Batman Beyond was a good show, and he had a decent amount of rogue's. It could be an interesting movie. The good kind of interesting.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Malonius

@Gambit1024 said:

Love him or hate him, you can't deny that Christopher Nolan made an impact on not only Batman, but on superhero films in general with Batman Begins, and especially The Dark Knight. Before him, it was Shumaker who was giving us his "interpretation" of the Caped Crusader, and even before him, it was Tim Burton who gave the character his first time to really shine on the big screen with Batman (1989). Even still, if you'd like to count his other appearances such as Adam West's famous portrayal to the fantastic Bruce Timm series, go right ahead. Batman is without a doubt the most famous comic book character today in terms of media outside of comic books because all of these film/TV franchises have either all been successes, or they were so wrong that they are still are talked about today (i.e. Shumaker's Batman and Robin)

It's interesting to me that none of these versions of Batman would be worth having in a non-nerfed Justice League. It has always stuck with me that when Ted Kord, right before he was killed, was snooping through Checkmate's computers they had Batman's "powers" listed as "genius". None of the screen versions of Batman have ever portrayed the extent of Batman's masterminding genius, detective intuition, and hyper-paranoia that keeps a human being several steps ahead of the god-like beings of the Justice League.

I would like to see a Batman movie that would be basically a prequel to a Justice League movie. It would show all these mega-powered beings like Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc. appearing on the scene and freaking everyone out a la "Marvels". The movie could show Batman upping his game as investigates these superheroes and figures out how to deal with them. The movie could contrast his preparation with what, say, Lex Luthor or Amanda Waller were doing. I can't remember if it was the Darwyn Cooke story, but I recall a great panel where Batman confronts Martian Manhunter, who is shocked that a human figured out who his and what his weakness is without him realizing someone was snooping on him. No idea what the story arc or villian would be, but this would be at least a cool large subplot for the 1st movie in a Justice League trilogy.

That all said, I would most love to see a Flash movie next. I would much rather have Wally then Barry considering how dull Barry is, but Barry has a cool job that would resonate with all the CSI fans out there. I'd just love to see all the speed force and light speed special effects.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By Strider1992

Batman beyond!

No Caption Provided
Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i want a batman beyond movie with bruce still around and terry mcginnis take up the mantle or a batman movie like batman arkham city. batman needs more fantasy in his next movie when chris nolan is done.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@TheWitchingHour said:

@csl316 said:

I agree, grim and gritty was great for these films but another addition to the franchise could use something different. Batman Beyond could definitely be fantastical and operatic while conveying the intensity that Batman needs. Also I think audiences would be more receptive to something in the future. Suspension of disbelief is easier when you don't recognize your surroundings.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By csl316

@Mega_spidey01 said:

@TheWitchingHour said:

@csl316 said:

The only issue with Batman Beyond is it kinda looks stupid on the outside. A different Batman, weird Joker gangs and no Joker, strange new stories, and basically a whole new setting that I had no attachment to. My experience is based purely on the show (which I loved), but at first glance I thought everything about it was dumb. And I usually like change!

It might be a tough sell, is what I'm getting at. Everyone knows Bruce Wayne. But Terry McGinnis? Dude's a chump, is what many would say before giving it a chance.

Of course, this led to an engaging and fresh take on the whole situation and a movie would be fucking awesome if done right.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarthShap

I hope the series will be rebooted after TDKR to something a lot closer to the comic book.

Everything in the Nolan movies is way too realistic. The design did not work and I hope the next movies will be inspired by what is being done in the comics, in the Burton movies and in the TAS. Nolan's Batman was way too human and relatable. His parents' death turned him into a stupid brat, not the spirit of vengeance. Batman should be paranoid, obsessed, suicidal, schizophrenic, self-centered, antisocial and unable to enjoy anything because he never got over the death of his parents, never having mourned them. The Joker is neither a terrorist or an anarchist, he is just a psychotic clown who finds humour in all he does.

And Batman should have a Robin but he should be around 10-12 years old. It worked fine in Kick-Ass

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By batmanary

Batman should be veered away from. Do a Robin movie with Dick Grayson.