How screwed will DC be if Batman vs Superman flops?

• 163 results
those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

So what will happen if it sucks? Im sure alot of people will go to see it opening weekend but lets say it sucks and it ends up not making nearly as much money as marvel and it gets horrible ratings. Will DC just give up with making more movies or will they act like Batman vs Superman never happened and just go back to the drawing board?

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well suicide squad is already close to filming and wonder woman starts filming this fall so I doubt they'll just give up

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I hope they do the latter. I find it incredibly unlikely at this point that the movie will be any good, but even if it is there's no way the DC movies will even come close to the success of the Marvel movies. That doesn't mean they shouldn't make movies, but let's be honest, its not gonna be much good.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh infinitely so.

And I think what they'll do, is they'll cancel their movie slate, and put everything to a stop, then just start straight-up copying what Marvel's doing.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Kidd

Even if BvS is pure sh*t it will not flop, two of the biggest characters in pop culture appearing together of first time will bring in a crowd no matter what and even if it is horrible people will still go see it just to hate watch it. As long as BvS bring in a large amount of money WB will still continue because they already invested a lot into DCCU, if anything Justice League will make or break the DCCU.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubtful. I thought Batman Begins was going to be horrible and it was my favorite of the Nolan Trilogy, but let's say it does suck....

My opinion? Suicide Squad will be amazing and hold up DC will just keep making the TV shows they've been making.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

if it fails they will just scrap the idea all together and reboot in five years

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@the_kidd said:

Even if BvS is pure sh*t it will not flop.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DC would regret not going this direction.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think DC Comics would just give up, stop publishing comicbooks, sell their characters, file for bankruptcy, liquidate their assets, and go out of business...

I believe that's the answer you're looking for, isn't it?

Seriously, if Batman V Superman is a flop, it would have to be a MAJOR flop to effect any other movie. And even then, its doubtful.

Also, thanks for the awesome poster! So hyped! :)

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it flops?

This movie dont need to flop to screw everything.

If it doesnt make as much as WB wants, they will keep Snyder, but then they will take down all the other movies and the rest of heroes will go to television.

In another words, only Superman and Batman movies, with the rest of characters as overrated cameos.

Maybe a Wonder Woman movie, but that would be all.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flop? A movie titled Batman vs Superman? Naaah.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol. no. theyve been making superman movies for over 40 years..they wont stop anything.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC would not be screwed at all. They'd continue to make and sell comics. WB would not be screwed at al, they're a huge corporate entity that does not depend solely on their Super-hero/DC movies to stay afloat. In fact, it's probably a pretty small slice of their film industry pie. Now, if you change the wording of your question from "screwed" to "disappointed" I think both DC and WB would be very disappointed if BvS flopped, but it would hardly stop either of them from doing what they do.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well.. Say Avengers made 1.2 billion and Superman vs Batman makes 900 Million. Yeah, they might just scrap the Cinematic universe due to it's non-profitability.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely it will be received negatively by fans and critics alike, but will still rake in a decent sum of money..

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't matter, will still make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Then they better get down on their knees and pray to every god there ever was that Suicide Squad is a financial and critical success.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If it flop? Seriously.. That's Superman and Batman with a sprinkle of Wonder Woman. It wont.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

It won't flop. But if it's critically hated, DC might get rid of Snyder.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

Wow. Batman and Superman, visible on one screen at the same time. How novel. DC should just turn their characters over to the public domain and deal with competition the American way. Marvel too; I want to see the "house of ideas" exposed for what it is: much like DC, a stagnated corpse propped up by its exclusive rights to characters produced by artists with more creativity in their pinky fingers. Intellectual property is a joke and always has been.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but then again, is it fair to forcefully monopolize an idea?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Asgaard

It won't flop. But if it's critically hated, DC might get rid of Snyder.

Ins't Snyder one of the Wonder Woman movie producers?

"Charles Roven, Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder are among those producing the Wonder Woman movie, which is set for a 2017 release. " Link won't be easy to get rid of him...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

@asgaard: I think they will give up on him before they do their cinematic universe.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly doubt this movie will flop.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I think they will give up on him before they do their cinematic universe.

Why? Did he not learn with his mistakes in Sucker Punch and Man of Steel? Even i can see in what he is very good (Visuals) and in what he needs to improve (Plot and character development)...

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, people really want this movie to fail? Y'all petty af.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Duzz

IT's all because Superman snap Zod neck. A lot of people want a DC universe where Superman snaps a guy neck to fail.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_stegman  Moderator

@asgaard: I think he's learned and I think BvS will be great. But if it isn't, he will be to blame.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it flops DC fans will rush to the internet to argue with people about why they should have liked it more.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@buttersdaman000: People come up with new reasons to hate this movie everyday. It's ridiculous.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x: You mean besides the fact that very few people have given a positive response to anything that's been shown about this movie? Actually that's not entirely fair, Jason Momoa as Aquaman seems to be pretty popular (I personally am not a fan of the direction they seem to be taking with him but whatever) but Aquaman's name isn't in the title anywhere, so it's safe to assume he's not going to be nearly as prominent in the film as Henry Cavill as Superman (because again, people just loooved that)

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By stormshadow_x

@bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai:

@bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai said:

@stormshadow_x: You mean besides the fact that very few people have given a positive response to anything that's been shown about this movie? Actually that's not entirely fair, Jason Momoa as Aquaman seems to be pretty popular (I personally am not a fan of the direction they seem to be taking with him but whatever) but Aquaman's name isn't in the title anywhere, so it's safe to assume he's not going to be nearly as prominent in the film as Henry Cavill as Superman (because again, people just loooved that)

Because a movie doesn't make popular choices doesn't mean its not good (Ex: Heath Ledgers Joker, RDJ's Ironman). From what I've seen even people who dislike Man of Steel either didn't care enough to complain or actually loved Henry as Superman.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kingofnerds
jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have the Batman: Arkham franchise in games, which can probably give them more profit than any movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai said:

Because a movie doesn't make popular choices doesn't mean its not good (Ex: Heath Ledgers Joker, RDJ's Ironman). From what I've seen even people who dislike Man of Steel either didn't care enough to complain or actually loved Henry as Superman.

Are you kidding? It has a 55% on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, Forbes said: "Its script fails to let its characters actually converse with each other. The busy Kryptonian prologue makes the explosion of Krypton is the fourth-most important plot development. It utterly fails to pay-off the whole “How will Earth react to Superman?” question that is the driving force of the film’s first hour. It makes Clark directly responsible for the carnage that Zod reigns down upon Metropolis."

In fact plenty of people were royally pissed at how much carnage and destruction was directly caused by Superman himself. But if you're still not convinced that people didn't like this movie:

http://whatculture.com/film/man-of-steel-7-reasons-the-s-stands-for-sucks.php

http://comicsalliance.com/man-of-steel-on-my-planet-the-s-is-for-sucks-spoilers-review/

And I really should not have to say this but apparently I do: The difference between Heath Ledger's Joker and Henry Cavill's Superman is that when Heath Ledger was an unpopular choice we had never seen him as the Joker before, but we've already seen Henry Cavill as Superman, and many people do not like him (I personally have no problem with him but whatever) Man of Steel made a great deal of money at the box office, but so did X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and while many critics did like it, others (including fans of the comic and the original movies) thought it was nothing more than a generic run-of-the-mill summer blockbuster and a poor portrayal of the character. I personally thought the movie was decent, but after people not liking that movie and many people having negative feelings towards this movie it's hard to ignore the very real possibility that it could turn out bad.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way the film flops, not with both Batman and Superman in the title. Even if it stinks (which I doubt), the film will sell boat loads of cash off the title alone.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see your point at all :p. Rotten tomatoes? the same one in which Superman Returns has a greater score? Also showing me the people who dislike the movie is pointless when there are just as many who loved it. I've yet too see any hate from anyone of Cavills Superman. Its actually one of the few things if not the only thing in MOS a majority of the people like. The whole Superman caused the Destruction Debate is getting old...or has been old for 2 years. He was inexperienced, Zod was a better fighter,, their man way of fighting (Flight was still new too him), Zod kept the fight into the city. Ok Zod came too earth for clark. In no way his fault. He didn't know they were coming. Wasn't even sure there were more of his kind.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I highly doubt it will flop, if nothing else because we finally have Batman and Superman on screen together. But should it flop for whatever reason DC has a history of pulling the plug and being a bit more apprehensive with anything that isn't Batman or Superman, so if it isn't as successful as hoped we might see a change in the DC cinemascape.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way the film flops, not with both Batman and Superman in the title. Even if it stinks (which I doubt), the film will sell boat loads of cash off the title alone.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it flops DC fans will rush to the internet to argue with people about why they should have liked it more.

No Caption Provided

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not flopping, but let's say it does. Then it will be up to SS to decide on the future. If it's successful enough, they kick Snyder to the curb and alter the future films as a result. If it flops too, then they scrap the shared universe idea and let the films already in production at that point do what they want and probably delay them.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They're still making Transformers movies. We are past the point where making good films matter........

neale7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole Superman caused the Destruction Debate is getting old...or has been old for 2 years. He was inexperienced, Zod was a better fighter,, their man way of fighting (Flight was still new too him), Zod kept the fight into the city. Ok Zod came too earth for clark. In no way his fault. He didn't know they were coming. Wasn't even sure there were more of his kind.

I said the exact same thing to a friend when he said about the whole destruction thing. This is so true. People seem to forget this was Clarks first time at really being Superman, and having to defend earth. The most he had done in his life was save people. He never had to fight people his own kind who were stronger and bred for being warriors. Its like starting Boxing or MMA and then going up against an experienced fighter. Clark did damn well against Zod for his first day on the job.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kingofnerds

My main problem with mos was the pointless death of Clark's dad while Clark stood there and did NOTHING. All the talk on here about supes FTL stronger than strong blah blah blah and he just STANDS THERE like a dunce while his father dies pointlessly. UNHEROIC to say the least. Just a couple things like this break the movie down for me to be needlessly grim.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mr_Clockwork91

@neale7 said:

@stormshadow_x said:

The whole Superman caused the Destruction Debate is getting old...or has been old for 2 years. He was inexperienced, Zod was a better fighter,, their man way of fighting (Flight was still new too him), Zod kept the fight into the city. Ok Zod came too earth for clark. In no way his fault. He didn't know they were coming. Wasn't even sure there were more of his kind.

I said the exact same thing to a friend when he said about the whole destruction thing. This is so true. People seem to forget this was Clarks first time at really being Superman, and having to defend earth. The most he had done in his life was save people. He never had to fight people his own kind who were stronger and bred for being warriors. Its like starting Boxing or MMA and then going up against an experienced fighter. Clark did damn well against Zod for his first day on the job.

Agreed, and it's not like Zod had a machine terraforming the earth that was utterly destroying it. :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x: It also has a 55% on metacritic, which means that is the average review score. I was fine with man of steel, but I'm not a Superman fan, and most superman fans I know didn't like it, and thats why I don't think they will like the new movie, plain and simple. Also, NONE of those problems were in the first Superman movies. Did supes destroy Metropolis when fighting Zod in the original movies? Because I'm pretty sure he did not. For god's sake, the city in Godzilla was less destroyed at the end of that movie than the one at the end of Man of Steel.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

It won't flop financially, no matter how bad it is it'll crunch big numbers, but if it's bad, yes DC is f*cked, because if BvS is bad, Suicide Squad will flop. Then Suicide Squad would have to be the best film ever to save Wonder Woman.