How powerful is Martian Manhunter(new 52)

Avatar image for superkryptonian
superkryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've always been a firm believer that Superman is the powerhouse of the Justice League yet recent events in the New 52 have led me to believe other wise. So if someone could clear this up for me exactly how powerful is the Martian Man hunter in the New 52. In Justice League hes shown taking on the entire team while in JLA hes shown as Superman's "match up" of sorts. Your comments are appreciated

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's pretty powerful. He's generally portrayed as just as strong, fast, and durable as Superman. In addition, he has 'Martian Vision' (laser eyes) to match Superman's heat vision, he can fly, the works.

So he has all of Superman's powers.

Beyond that, he has incredible shapeshifting abilities, telepathy capable of accessing a global scale, he can turn invisible and intangible... There's a reason he's called the Swiss Army Knife of superheroes. He's more powerful in versatility: While they're a basically evenly matched (since Superman can absorb solar energy to increase his power, he's likely a bit stronger, faster, and more durable than J'onn) in raw brute force, J'onn can attack Clark's mental shields with telepathy, and turn near untouchable while Supes tries to stop him.

He can simply attack AND defend on more fronts than Superman is capable of.

The only drawback he has is that he has a much more common and easily available weakness: Whereas Superman is only weak to a very rare (though you'd never know it) chunk of crystal from his homeworld, J'onn is weak to fire. As Batman put it (if I remember right), "I need a multimillion dollar chunk of rock for the one in Metropolis. For you? I just need ten cents for a book of matches."

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@jonsmith said:

As Batman put it (if I remember right), "I need a multimillion dollar chunk of rock for the one in Metropolis. For you? I just need ten cents for a book of matches."

Which is funny because Batman once attacked J'onn with a flamethrower and it didn't work :S

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's above Superman to me.

Avatar image for world_breaker_elmo
World_Breaker_Elmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In terms of rankings (take them for what you will) I think that since Mister Majestic's arrival so far has been a let down - he's human, no resistance to mental possession or powers being dampened/weakened, no super intelligence, etc - and the way J'onn handled himself against the JL, that he is the top dog on the planet.

The contenders for this title are few and need some more time to display some real feats. Black Adam and Billy Batson are obvious frontrunners, with Superboy and The Flash still in the running due to their ever evolving abilities.

I am not including Supes or WW because their powersets and abilities pretty much are cut and paste as they always have been.

Imagine it: A Justice League with Manhunter, Shazam, Black Adam and Barry Allen - numbers would be taken, and asses would get kicked.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

In terms of rankings (take them for what you will) I think that since Mister Majestic's arrival so far has been a let down - he's human, no resistance to mental possession or powers being dampened/weakened, no super intelligence, etc - and the way J'onn handled himself against the JL, that he is the top dog on the planet.

The contenders for this title are few and need some more time to display some real feats. Black Adam and Billy Batson are obvious frontrunners, with Superboy and The Flash still in the running due to their ever evolving abilities.

I am not including Supes or WW because their powersets and abilities pretty much are cut and paste as they always have been.

Imagine it: A Justice League with Manhunter, Shazam, Black Adam and Barry Allen - numbers would be taken, and asses would get kicked.

That would be amazing. But the animosity between black adam and shazam...damn you're cruel =P

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Well, he's been shown to have "easily" mind-wiped Despero (who pre-52 was probably the only person mentally stronger than him) Which is major overkill IMO. One of many bad decisions writers have made post-52.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He's stronger than Superman.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

nuff said

KingRobbStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that with the recent 52 power leveling of MMA Flash will be the only one who could defeat him. The fact that Flash can vibrate can easily nullify MMA's intangibleness.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alak

I've always been a firm believer that Superman is the powerhouse of the Justice League yet recent events in the New 52 have led me to believe other wise. So if someone could clear this up for me exactly how powerful is the Martian Man hunter in the New 52. In Justice League hes shown taking on the entire team while in JLA hes shown as Superman's "match up" of sorts. Your comments are appreciated

I guess it depends how you define "powerhouse" but each JL member has always been a heavy-hitter in his/her own right. Pit any individual against another DC team and they have the potential to sweep. My belief is that Martian Manhunter only appears to be incredibly powerful in the New 52 because he's no longer on the League's roster.

On a team that has Superman, Wonder Woman, a Green Lantern, and Batgod, it's pretty easy to overlook the one character who doesn't talk/fight much. J'onn has always been the most powerful Justice League member, but his role was always behind the curtain and out of the spotlight. The New 52 took him out of the JL's shadow and forced him to play a more prominent role. That's why most people are just now noticing what he's capable of.

Now, in regards to how powerful he is now, I think he's pretty much the same as he was in the past. His telepathy feats seemed to be more emphasized, but he also did some pretty outstanding things pre-52 with his psionic abilities.