#1 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

and how much you think their budgets would be? and how long will the films be?

#2 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

So you're asking if anyone here on the vine has precog?

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

479 million.

#4 Posted by Malonius (886 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel will do better than Thor 2 or Iron Man 3, but Avengers 2 will do better than Justice League.

#5 Edited by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Domestically Man of Steal will probably do between 200 and 300 million. So good, but not staggering. Possibly less if the reviews are bad. Justice League's success will likely depend on how well Man of Steal is perceived by the general audience. It has the potential to be huge, but could also fall flat on it's face.

Edit:

As for budget. The budget for Man of Steel is $225 million, not including advertising cost. Justice League is to far into the future to say for certain what it's budget will be, but I would estimate at least $250 million before advertising.

Length, well most movies these days are between 2 and 2 1/2 hours, so it's safe to say both will fall into that range.

#6 Posted by JediXMan (30572 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

So you're asking if anyone here on the vine has precog?

This is what I was thinking...

Moderator
#7 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde: so man of steel will do less than superman returns? superman returns did near 400 million and it wasnt as anticipated as the man of steel movie is.

#8 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: im thinking the justice league will do quite good since batman is in it and his last 2 movies did well over 1 billion dollars each and also everyone have been waiting so long for a justice league movie.

#9 Edited by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Moonchilde: so man of steel will do less than superman returns? superman returns did near 400 million and it wasnt as anticipated as the man of steel movie is.

You're wrong.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman06.htm

Superman Returns only did $200 million domestically. I'd also argue that Returns was more heavily anticipated. Returns was the first Superman movie in 20 years. Man of Steal is tarnished by the fact that everyone still remember Returns and most people hated it. Plus Zak Snyder isn't a very good director, which definitely lowers anticipation, at least among film buffs. Man of Steal will do well, but I don't see it making over $300 million domestically. Even Batman Begins, which is universally loved, only made $206 million, in large part due to the bitter taste everyone still had from the previous Batman films.

I can of course be wrong, but I bet if I am it's mostly because I'm underestimating the effect that inflation will play on the box office.

#10 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos: Ah, I undestand that you're talking about world box office, even though I explicitly stated domestic.

Predicting world box office is harder to do, but I would guestimate around $600 million.

#11 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde: batman returns did only 206 million domestically. then why did batman dark knight make 533 million domestically? and why did dark knight rises make 448 million domestically? why the huge increase?

and actually a lot of people liked returns. and zak snyder is a much better director than bryan singer, everyone loved 300. and the fact that nolan is also working on man of steel makes it even more anticipated. plus this a reboot its not going to be like the rest of the superman films its going to be something brand new never done before a darker more realistic superman. a new suit. and it wont be having supermans theme song anymore they are making a new theme to suit the film.

and im thinking that man of steel will make over 400 million domestically and near 1 billion world wide. and justice league will make 400 - 500 million domestically and over a billion world wide.

#12 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Moonchilde: batman returns did only 206 million domestically. then why did batman dark knight make 533 million domestically? and why did dark knight rises make 448 million domestically? why the huge increase?

and actually a lot of people liked returns. and zak snyder is a much better director than bryan singer, everyone loved 300. and the fact that nolan is also working on man of steel makes it even more anticipated. plus this a reboot its not going to be like the rest of the superman films its going to be something brand new never done before a darker more realistic superman. a new suit. and it wont be having supermans theme song anymore they are making a new theme to suit the film.

and im thinking that man of steel will make over 400 million domestically and near 1 billion world wide. and justice league will make 400 - 500 million domestically and over a billion world wide.

Dark Knight did well largely because of how well liked Batman Begins was. Trust me, I went to Batman Begins alone because most of my friends refused to see another Batman movie because of how bad the previous ones were. They all eventually rented it and loved it, as a result there were huge lines for Dark Knight. By the time of Dark Knight Rises it was an A-list franchise again.

Some people like Returns, but it is pretty well hated by a lot of people, and over time negativity has increased toward it again. Trust me, I know a lot of people that are refusing to see Man of Steel. The fact that Nolan is working on it does give a certain degree of credence to offset Zak Snyder, but he's the producer, not the director. I don't know if Nolan is a hands on producer, or a let the director do his thing producer. He might also be a "I don't really want to work on this, but I'll gladly take a cut" type producer as well. Nolan is undeniable a brilliant director, but this is the first thing he'll producing in which he wasn't also the director. I will say that Nolan is the sole reason why I personally will be seeing the movie, but I must say that the screen shots and the teaser so far don't have me very excited.

Snyder is NOT a better director then Bryan Singer. Usual Suspects, Apt. Pupil, and X2 are all MUCH better movies then anything Zak Snyder has done. Snyder's best work so far is Watchmen, and that was just sort-of okay. His worst is Sucker Punch, which would've been a surefire raspberry contender if not for the fact that Adam Sandler ended up releasing not one, but two, of the worst films in the history of cinema latter that same year.

I haven't read the script for the reboot so can't say how much it'll be like the previous Superman films, but what I know about it sounds very much like a been-there-done-that sort of thing. We've already seen General Zod on screen, so not excited about that, and thematically the teaser is damn near identical to the teaser for Superman Returns. The trailer is suppose to be released with the Hobbit, so in a week and a half we will know a bit more, but so far it looks very played out. The new suit looks terrible, and honestly Superman isn't Batman, just because making Bat's grittier works doesn't mean it will for Supes.

$400 million is possible, but doubtful. $300 million is far more realistic. Justice League is to far in the future to give any real predicition. It of course has potential to put up Avenger's numbers, but it can also end up on the worst bust of all time list. So far we don't even have a director attached, or really any tangible information to go off it.

#13 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde: so was batman hated before nolans trilogy? did it make batman cooler? im thinking thats where a lot of his fans come from or decided to come out of the woodwork since he wasnt as talked about as before the films.

yeah nolans the producer but hes working with snyder so just cause hes a producer doesnt mean that he wont help out zak and give him some ideas and tips and stuff like that.

and i would say the teaser has got me excited cause they didnt show much. most films just practically show you most of the actions in the trailer and most of the time its not even like that in the movie and in some cases some of the action in the trailer wasnt even showed in the movie.

sucker punch wasnt that bad i actually liked it and i would say his best work is 300. most movies are been there done that way already too. like avengers with the same old alien invasion save the planet thing and no way were returns trailer the same as man of steels trailer. returns showed way more while man of steel is more covert and i like the new suit its much more cooler looking more realistic as opposed to wearing undies on the outside and making superman more darker may work or it may not work.

so if this movie does do well then maybe it will earn supermans respect back and make him cool again. and also i want to ask you if singer was a better director then how come a lot of people didnt like returns?

#14 Edited by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Moonchilde: so was batman hated before nolans trilogy? did it make batman cooler? im thinking thats where a lot of his fans come from or decided to come out of the woodwork since he wasnt as talked about as before the films.

yeah nolans the producer but hes working with snyder so just cause hes a producer doesnt mean that he wont help out zak and give him some ideas and tips and stuff like that.

and i would say the teaser has got me excited cause they didnt show much. most films just practically show you most of the actions in the trailer and most of the time its not even like that in the movie and in some cases some of the action in the trailer wasnt even showed in the movie.

sucker punch wasnt that bad i actually liked it and i would say his best work is 300. most movies are been there done that way already too. like avengers with the same old alien invasion save the planet thing and no way were returns trailer the same as man of steels trailer. returns showed way more while man of steel is more covert and i like the new suit its much more cooler looking more realistic as opposed to wearing undies on the outside and making superman more darker may work or it may not work.

so if this movie does do well then maybe it will earn supermans respect back and make him cool again. and also i want to ask you if singer was a better director then how come a lot of people didnt like returns?

Well Batman was always popular, at least as far as comic books are concerned. As far as cinema. Yea, a lot of people didn't see Begins in theaters largely due to the bad taste the previous Batman films left people. Warner Brothers needed to do some serious re-imagining to return people to theaters, and fortunately they made the right decision in hiring Nolan.

Nolan may well be working very closely with Snyder. Like I said, Man of Steal will be the first film the Nolan produces in which he wasn't also the director.

Avengers plot (alien invasion thing) was very done-there, but that wasn't what makes it great. The Avengers really wasn't even about an alien invasion, that was just a mcguffin to advance the plot, the movie was really about a team of characters with clashing personalities coming together to work as a team. Avengers is the first time that a true super-hero ensemble movie was pulled off. You can kindof make the arguement that X-Men did that first, but the first 3 X-Men movies were really Wolverine movies with various X-Men as supporting cast. The last was Magneto & Xavier. Note: I'm not saying the X-Men movies are bad (well X3 is), just that they were really Wolverine movies. Avengers does a pretty good job of giving each character pretty equal screentime (except Hawkeye, who drew the short stick, but aside from him that's still an impressive feat). Plus the way Marvel built up to the Avengers is something that has never been done before in cinema.

Watch the Superman Returns teaser and the Man of Steel teaser and really compare and contrast them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CuJ08nwJpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wArmHSPIvlQ

Thematically they are virtually identical. Both involve a voiceover of Jor-El talking about how Superman is destined to be humanities savoir. Most of both teasers shows clips of Supes either as a boy in Smallville or working some blue-collar job discover hints of his power, teasers both end giving the audience of glimps of Supes as an adult. The background music in both conveys a sense of majesty.

Lastly, as to why people don't like Superman Returns, there are a myriad of reasons. I think the biggest one is probably the super-kid aspect of the film. That whole element seemed largely unnecessary, and kindof makes Supes seem like Super-dead-beat-dad. Lex Luthor's plot was very similar to the plot he had in the original Superman movie. Add lastly, the pacing of the film was rather slow.

#15 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde: actually for the man of steel trailer i dont see him working some blue collar job, hes just fishing. and man of steel trailer doesnt show him as a kid with powers but in returns it did twice. and it also showed him as an adult more times than they did in man of steel which they only showed it in the end where he was flying. and the music are different in returns it had the typical superman theme while man of steel didnt have that it rather seemed like a theme for a different kind of movie and not a superhero one.

#16 Edited by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Moonchilde: actually for the man of steel trailer i dont see him working some blue collar job, hes just fishing. and man of steel trailer doesnt show him as a kid with powers but in returns it did twice. and it also showed him as an adult more times than they did in man of steel which they only showed it in the end where he was flying. and the music are different in returns it had the typical superman theme while man of steel didnt have that it rather seemed like a theme for a different kind of movie and not a superhero one.

You are really really nitpicking here. It's clear you want Man of Steel to succeed. So much so I'm starting to suspect you're one of those people that companies hire to generate hype via the internet. If you can't see the clear parallels in themes presented in both teasers then you need to watch more films.

By the way, the music in the Man of Steel teaser is from Lord of the Rings.

#17 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde: yes i do want man of steel to succeed who doesnt? and let me guess you dont? hahaha wow if you really think that then you clearly you help. and no i watch too much films and it dont see nothing similar i think you need to stop hating on superman.

#18 Edited by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Moonchilde: yes i do want man of steel to succeed who doesnt? and let me guess you dont? hahaha wow if you really think that then you clearly you help. and no i watch too much films and it dont see nothing similar i think you need to stop hating on superman.

Actually, I do want it to succeed. I love comic book movies. Would love Justice League to be as good as Avengers. I'm just being realistic with projections. Plus I've seen a LOT of movies. There are very clear themes that run in many different films, some more obvious then others. Man of Steel and Superman Returns are about as obvious as you can get.

By the way, I love the original (1978) Superman movie. And I read both Marvel and DC.

#19 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde: if you want it to succeed then why are you criticizing it? im sure you didnt criticize avengers before it came out.

#20 Edited by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobbernos said:

@Moonchilde: if you want it to succeed then why are you criticizing it? im sure you didnt criticize avengers before it came out.

I criticized the $#!+ out of Avengers before it came out. Honestly, I thought the trailers for it had a very Michael Bay feel to it. Plus I didn't see how they were going to pull off an ensemble super hero movie. I went into that film expecting it to be a "so-bad-it's good" type of movie. Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised.

Of the three comic movies that came out this year, the only one I expected to be an good was Dark Knight Rises. While that was my favorite of the three, I'm glad to say I enjoyed all of them.

PS: It's kindof clear from your name that you only support DC.

#21 Posted by eoindotcom (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like I've stumbled into I time vortex from before the proper teasers and trailers and hype for any of the summer movies really got traction. here's my 2 cents.

Regarding the similarities between Man of Steel teaser and Superman Returns they are completely different from each other. Where the Superman Returns teaser (given that it was supposed to be in the same continuity as the original movie) was merely bringing people up to speed with the fact that this super boy grows up to be superman and then spends the majority of the time showing off sups in the red and blue (for a 1:35 min teaser with the first 20 secs being titles and the closing 10 secs also titles, about 40 seconds is showing adult superman and not child Clark Kent or reporter Clark Kent). This movie is being teased as a superman story that follows on from where the last story (well, the second movie) left us with superman as a protector of earth. He is established and the brief clips of Kent as a child serve only to remind us that he grew up on earth for those who may not have seen the originals.

Moving on to the teaser for Man of Steel, this is very much an introduction as to who Clark Kent is. We see him through various stages of childhood and adulthood and, only at the very end do they remind you that, yes, he also puts on a blue suit and red cape and flies. Primarily though, this is a new origin story.

Moving forward 5 months from this argument, with the hype machine vigorously in motion, I think anticipation for this film will only continue to grow, not in the least bit hindered by Iron man 3's impressive start to the summer blockbuster period. If anything, the success of Iron man could help Man of Steel given the nature of them being comic book movies and people who wouldn't consider themselves fanboys recognising the popularity and quality of superhero films in this day and age. Iron man 3 is already well on it's way to become the first billion dollar film of the year. so that's a big plus for superheroes. Throw on top of that the fact that the ever impressing Nolan will definitely pique the interest of many a fanboy from the Dark Knight trilogy. I know he's only producing but given he was the one who approached Warners with the script (by the same guy who wrote the Dark Knight Trilogy i might add, David S. Goyer) I think it'd be safe to assume he's keeping a close eye on Zak and guiding him through the directing process. At this stage, with just over a month left to go till it's release, there is still time for more little things to spring up (such as the incredible new theme from Hans Zimmer which has me even more stoked for its release) to increase interest but as of now, I'd almost put money on Man of Steel reaching a National gross of close to $400 mill and a worldwide gross of just under/over a billion. somewhere in The Dark Knight territory.

Something to keep in mind these days with films, even more so than a mere 4-5 years ago, is that you are almost guaranteed 2 or 3 billion dollar movies a year now. last year we had 4 with TDKR, Avengers, Skyfall and The Hobbit. So, this year, if i were the betting kind, my money would be on Iron man 3, Man of Steel and The Hobbit part 2 being those 3 billion dollar movies that blow everything else out of the water.

#22 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5406 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel will do slightly less than IM3 and the JLA movie will never happen.

#23 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think Man of Steel will beat out IM3 this year. Pretty sure the critical reviews for it will be in the 90% range. Not sure if it will touch Avengers though.

#24 Posted by New_World_Order (13179 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see it beating Iron Man 3.

#25 Posted by cfrehse (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

i doubt it would beat iron man 3 unless its a really good movie. Iron man 3 is on its way to beat both dark knight movies. Right now iron man is more popular. I see it make 600 mil at least. If its great easily a billion

#26 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

@cfrehse said:

i doubt it would beat iron man 3 unless its a really good movie. Iron man 3 is on its way to beat both dark knight movies. Right now iron man is more popular. I see it make 600 mil at least. If its great easily a billion

Yeah since it is good, I see it making a billion. It will definitely be the financial powerhouse of the year. I don't see what competition, Star Trek will do well(but not as well), Hunger Games same as Star Trek, Thor 2 will do slightly better than those 2 but not by much, Man of Steel a little below Star Trek at max around the same. The Wolverine slightly below everything else.

#27 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is the Superman movie will be about the same as either the flop Green Lantern movie or slightly less than the first Nolan Batman movie to which it has similarities. Harder to sell Superman movies bec. people still remember the many Superman movies from the past. The Spider Man reboot movies are already encountering the same problem as Superman's too many movies. People will also be bored with Iron Man once you reach Iron Man 6 which is probably why Marvel is aggressive in exploring other properties like Guardians, Ant Man, Dr Strange, Iron Fist, etc.

#28 Edited by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as much as the Avengers.