#1 Posted by Voorhees100 (408 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic book based movies have definitely been on the rise in the past decade or so. It seems that every summer we have a new hero blockbuster, what with Marvel's Phases of their Cinematic Universe, DC's Dark Knight Trilogy and upcoming Man of Steel. Some aspects of the movies have become so popular that the comics themselves have been affected by them. My question is, do you think this is a good thing? Is it okay for comic books to incorporate aspects from their films? What aspects would YOU like to see done in the comics, which characters or objects included?

"Nick Fury" now molded after Samuel L. Jackson and Agent Coulson now included.
The Tumbler from The Dark Knight, in Detective Comics #20

#2 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

zero influence. i'm still pissed marvel created, pardon me, pulled a black nick fury out of its a$$ to match the movies and now white nick fury is in comic book limbo.

#3 Edited by CrimsonCake (2719 posts) - - Show Bio

Some but not much.

I'm fine with it just as long as it doesn't affect the characters too much to make it more like the movie.

#4 Edited by LaserLambert (641 posts) - - Show Bio

It kinda depends, when they are changing to match the movies exactly that's bad/lazy (like nick fury up there).

but like the classic Richard Donner Superman movie has influenced many different tellings of Superman's origin, in what I believe to be a positive way, they didn't copy it, but they let it influence them, because it was a good movie, and the origins have incorporated as much from that specific telling of his origin as any of his origins.

If the movie is good, it should influence the stories and characters from the source material, just as any good comic based story should.

but if they are just changing characters and relationships and team rosters around so it looks like the movie with a very thin premise explaining it, that's bad.

#5 Edited by Veshark (9292 posts) - - Show Bio

There's acceptable movie-to-comic adaptations like the Tumbler.

There's still-tolerable movie-to-comic adaptations like 616-Tony having RDJ's snark.

Then there's black-son-of-Nick-Fury-who-looks-like-Samuel-L-Jackson.

#6 Posted by AweSam (7517 posts) - - Show Bio

zero influence. i'm still pissed marvel created, pardon me, pulled a black nick fury out of its a$$ to match the movies and now white nick fury is in comic book limbo.

Samuel L Jackson>>>>Old Nick Fury

#7 Posted by Veshark (9292 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:
@thetimestreamer said:

Samuel L Jackson>>>>Old Nick Fury

While I prefer Ultimate Nick Fury over Classic Nick Fury (definitely), the way they've shoe-horned him into the 616 universe is just awkward to read. It was a weird, contrived way to make things match up with MCU continuity - and the dude just looks weird in the Super-Soldier outfit!

#8 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: for the movie jackson was good even though i wouldve liked hasselhoff give it another go. but in the comics the new nick fury in 616 is a total noob is espionage. it will take decades to reach the level of cool that is nick fury. if at all. example: secret warriors AWESOME; the dark reign one shot with nick fury busting into osborn's office and punching him in the face and then having a beer. and that is just recent stuff.

#9 Edited by AweSam (7517 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: Sure, but it would be awesome if he did the Pulp Fiction "Say what again" in the comics.

#10 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: eh. lets leave that line where it belongs. same with the snakes one. too on the nose.

#11 Edited by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

If it brings in new readers without alienating fans, more power to them.

#12 Posted by tigerkaya (1386 posts) - - Show Bio

Zero influence. Ever since RDJ personality took over the Iron Man comic

I can't stand Stark anymore. For me I like them separate: movies on their own, Ultimates on their own and the 616 on their own.

#13 Edited by JLArturo (14342 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

There's still-tolerable movie-to-comic adaptations like 616-Tony having RDJ's snark.

Gotta say this is how I feel. I'm okay with them adding in Phil Coulson but replacing (616) Nick Fury with (Fake Ultimate) Marcus Johnson aka Nick Fury JR. is ridiculous. It just shows that the movies are influencing comics way too much.

#14 Posted by p3t3r133 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Gotta say this is how I feel. I'm okay with them adding in Phil Coulson but replacing (616) Nick Fury with (Fake Ultimate) Marcus Johnson aka Nick Fury JR. is ridiculous. It just shows that the movies are influencing comics way too much.

I agree, but in Marvel's defense Black Fury isnt filling the role of old Fury, Fury's been MIA for a while and his son now isnt in charge of shield, hes more of a soldier. One thing I dont get is why Coulson is the only SHIELD agent in the history of SHIELD agents to wear a suit.

#15 Posted by JediXMan (32266 posts) - - Show Bio

The movies should never influence the comics. Ever.

#16 Edited by JLArturo (14342 posts) - - Show Bio

@p3t3r133 said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

@veshark said:

I agree, but in Marvel's defense Black Fury isnt filling the role of old Fury, Fury's been MIA for a while and his son now isnt in charge of shield, hes more of a soldier. One thing I dont get is why Coulson is the only SHIELD agent in the history of SHIELD agents to wear a suit.

That's very true, new Fury is indeed just a soldier but, lets be honest, it's only a matter of time before he becomes director of SHIELD. And was it ever explained why Fury is MIA? I mean he IS in Age of Ultron...Also it's totally hilarious about Coulson being the only agent in history to wear a suit. I didn't realize that until you said it. I guess it's because his movie character did.

#17 Posted by hart7668 (2331 posts) - - Show Bio

I just wish it was more of the other way around.

#18 Posted by p3t3r133 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@p3t3r133 said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

@veshark said:

That's very true, new Fury is indeed just a soldier but, lets be honest, it's only a matter of time before he becomes director of SHIELD. And was it ever explained why Fury is MIA? I mean he IS in Age of Ultron...Also it's totally hilarious about Coulson being the only agent in history to wear a suit. I didn't realize that until you said it. I guess it's because his movie character did.

If I remember correctly he went into hiding during Dark Reign and has been since then

#20 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10163 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I don't think they should have any influence on the comics, although I'm okay with things like the Bat-Tumbler.

Black 616 Nick Fury? I don't think that ever should have happened.

#21 Edited by Derfel (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I find Couldson and Tumbler to be nice aditions, they bring new fans and

@knightrise said:

If it brings in new readers without alienating fans, more power to them.

I agree, and I find Couldson and Tumbler to be nice additions, they bring new fans and don't alter the known story, but to add a black Nick Fury? I really hate that modification, I've been reading Nick Fury since his "Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD" days and I hate the "black Fury" whats next? a blond Black Panther? an asian Carol Danvers? a latino sun fire? all of them with no justification at all?